Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #931 of 989 Old 07-10-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Yes. And they continued a similar design with this years models. My S6200s are similar in design to my S5100s. Of course the fire TV, being extremely small, can fit on top of almost anything.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 989 Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 277
1200 is itty bitty.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200
post #933 of 989 Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 62
A few questions for those of you using the Fire TV as an XBMC device. I have never tried XBMC and I'm not really looking to do a HTPC build. I see several sellers on Ebay with the Fire TV already loaded with XBMC and lots of add-ins. I have been without cable for over 5 years now and personally I don't really miss it. We have been living on Netflix and Amazon streaming in addition to all of my Bluray rips which reside on an unRaid server. I stream that content from a Dune player. Also have a Roku 3 which my wife loves due to the simplicity of it. Xbox 360 rarely gets turned on anymore since we got the Roku. The one thing my wife does miss most about cable is all of her HGTV shows. Apparently there are apps that run through XBMC to allow streaming of live or nearly live cable TV shows including HGTV. This is what has me interested in perhaps trying the Fire TV. Even if the XBMC stuff didn't work out I could still use another streaming device for the services I'm already paying for. Any suggestions on best place to purchase a Fire TV with all the software already loaded so I can dive right into this? Would this box be able to handle streaming via SMB from my unRaid? Would it play 1080p/24 files in ISO and or MKV and pass through DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD?
post #934 of 989 Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
A few questions for those of you using the Fire TV as an XBMC device. I have never tried XBMC and I'm not really looking to do a HTPC build. I see several sellers on Ebay with the Fire TV already loaded with XBMC and lots of add-ins. I have been without cable for over 5 years now and personally I don't really miss it. We have been living on Netflix and Amazon streaming in addition to all of my Bluray rips which reside on an unRaid server. I stream that content from a Dune player. Also have a Roku 3 which my wife loves due to the simplicity of it. Xbox 360 rarely gets turned on anymore since we got the Roku. The one thing my wife does miss most about cable is all of her HGTV shows. Apparently there are apps that run through XBMC to allow streaming of live or nearly live cable TV shows including HGTV. This is what has me interested in perhaps trying the Fire TV. Even if the XBMC stuff didn't work out I could still use another streaming device for the services I'm already paying for. Any suggestions on best place to purchase a Fire TV with all the software already loaded so I can dive right into this? Would this box be able to handle streaming via SMB from my unRaid? Would it play 1080p/24 files in ISO and or MKV and pass through DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD?
I don't think XBMC passes through DTS-HD or TrueHD (could be wrong, google it) but the XBMC offshoot Plex does, and is easier to configure and use. Not sure if it handles ISO files. XBMC probably does, as it is more configurable. You can try both out on your PC to get a feel for how they work though before committing. They aren't terribly hard to set up so don't let that deter you.

A plus for Plex is that it acts as a server on your computer and can serve the content out to any device with a plex app -- android, iOS, etc.
post #935 of 989 Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
I don't think XBMC passes through DTS-HD or TrueHD (could be wrong, google it) but the XBMC offshoot Plex does, and is easier to configure and use. Not sure if it handles ISO files. XBMC probably does, as it is more configurable. You can try both out on your PC to get a feel for how they work though before committing. They aren't terribly hard to set up so don't let that deter you.

A plus for Plex is that it acts as a server on your computer and can serve the content out to any device with a plex app -- android, iOS, etc.
Thanks. I remember trying Plex on something else before and it was a nightmare. I don't even own a PC at the moment so I would prefer to do everything with hardware devices. Closest thing to a PC I have right now is my unRaid server which stays on all the time. It's simply storing and serving my local content and has done it very well so far. I went ahead and ordered a Fire TV because I had some points on a credit card so I'm getting it for $80 plus the Prime free shipping so not too bad. I have been reading about how to install XBMC so I think I can give it a go and see what happens. Worst case is that it gets used in another room with just the stock features which is fine with me.
post #936 of 989 Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Thanks. I remember trying Plex on something else before and it was a nightmare. I don't even own a PC at the moment so I would prefer to do everything with hardware devices. Closest thing to a PC I have right now is my unRaid server which stays on all the time. It's simply storing and serving my local content and has done it very well so far. I went ahead and ordered a Fire TV because I had some points on a credit card so I'm getting it for $80 plus the Prime free shipping so not too bad. I have been reading about how to install XBMC so I think I can give it a go and see what happens. Worst case is that it gets used in another room with just the stock features which is fine with me.

Neither plex nor xbmc on the FTV will pass through the hires audio formats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - mariob33

In search of video bliss...
post #937 of 989 Old 07-10-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post
Neither plex nor xbmc on the FTV will pass through the hires audio formats.

Oh well, that tells me where this will end up then. I probably won't bother trying to integrate this with my BD rips as all of those are DTS-Master, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, etc.

If I can get it setup to stream the TV shows my wife wants to see then that will be enough.
post #938 of 989 Old 07-10-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Oh well, that tells me where this will end up then. I probably won't bother trying to integrate this with my BD rips as all of those are DTS-Master, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, etc.

If I can get it setup to stream the TV shows my wife wants to see then that will be enough.
I'm really enjoying my FireTV, but the HD audio thing sucks. Your best bet is Plex with a Intel NUC and a FireTV for Hulu/Netflix/etc. Maybe some day a cheap STB will support HD audio with Plex.
post #939 of 989 Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
All those addons installed by the ebay sellers are 100% piracy and are illegal. Now I don't need to lecture you but you should know before you buy. Plus the movies from those addons are low quality, heavily compressed video with 2.0 AAC 128kbps sound. A lot of times they don't even work so I don't recommend bothering with that stuff if you are an audio/video/Ht enthusiast.

XBMC runs very well on the FTV but you can't get HD audio. It's an Android limitation, not a FTV limitation. You do get the legacy DTS and DD though.

XBMC on Windows and Linux does pass through DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. It can also decode those formats and output them as PCM if your receiver doesn't support the HD audio formats.

The FTV is great to use in a secondary system where HD audio is not a requirement.

Last edited by lulimet; 07-10-2014 at 02:56 PM.
post #940 of 989 Old 07-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, the Plex app on the FTV is pretty useless. No DTS or DD from MKV files, and only DD from MP4 files. So you pretty much Plex downmixes everything to 2.0 stereo.
post #941 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
All those addons installed by the ebay sellers are 100% piracy and are illegal. Now I don't need to lecture you but you should know before you buy. Plus the movies from those addons are low quality, heavily compressed video with 2.0 AAC 128kbps sound. A lot of times they don't even work so I don't recommend bothering with that stuff if you are an audio/video/Ht enthusiast.

XBMC runs very well on the FTV but you can't get HD audio. It's an Android limitation, not a FTV limitation. You do get the legacy DTS and DD though.

XBMC on Windows and Linux does pass through DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. It can also decode those formats and output them as PCM if your receiver doesn't support the HD audio formats.

The FTV is great to use in a secondary system where HD audio is not a requirement.

Thanks, I ended up ordering from Amazon as I figured ebay was probably too risky and all the preloaded stuff sounded kind of shady. It sounds like a true HTPC is the only way I'm going to be able to get the high res audio formats and still have the XBMC experience. I never expected something like this to replace my Dune or a good Bluray player like the Oppo but I have had many media players over the years and understand they all have their limitations. Dune is the closest to perfect I have ever had. Regarding the XBMC addons, I'm not interested in highly compressed movies and 2-channel sound but for the TV shows my wife is interested in, it would be just fine if it wasn't great quality.
post #942 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I see you can put XBMC on Fire TV. All my movies are on my Synology NAS, but due to the processor in the Synology, Plex server will not transcribe the videos. If I were to get a Fire TV, would it allow access to my MKV videos on my NAS, and play them through the fire tv?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #943 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 12:15 PM

I got my mount from our local machine shop for my fireTV to mount it to the wall. I thought you guys might wanna see it. I need to have it powder coated but other then that i think its great.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0643.jpg (136.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0644.jpg (121.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0645.jpg (161.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0646.jpg (161.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0647.jpg (158.8 KB, 39 views)
post #944 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post
I got my mount from our local machine shop for my fireTV to mount it to the wall. I thought you guys might wanna see it. I need to have it powder coated but other then that i think its great.

What do you guys think?
Very nice! Fits like a glove. With those slotted holes on the back it could probably be mounted behind a wall mounted TV as well.
post #945 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Very nice! Fits like a glove. With those slotted holes on the back it could probably be mounted behind a wall mounted TV as well.
Yea I have all my TVs at home mounted on the wall and it should fit behind them perfectly. Gonna have a few more made for my other rooms.
post #946 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
I see you can put XBMC on Fire TV. All my movies are on my Synology NAS, but due to the processor in the Synology, Plex server will not transcribe the videos. If I were to get a Fire TV, would it allow access to my MKV videos on my NAS, and play them through the fire tv?
Absolutely.
post #947 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just bought it, xbmc is on it and my stuff is working perfect! Especially the Dolby DTS-hd!
Do I want to enable pass through in the audio settings?

Sent from my iPhone 5
http://twitter.com/JBoDEAN

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #948 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just use Velcro and double sided tape.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #949 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Just bought it, xbmc is on it and my stuff is working perfect! Especially the Dolby DTS-hd!

Sent from my iPhone 5

Huh? FTV does not do HD..do you mean it's giving the dts core? Or down-mixing to stereo

In search of video bliss...
post #950 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I just use Velcro and double sided tape.
I tried that. It fell off the wall. I just had a local machine shop build it. They do a lot for the company I work for and did it for free.
post #951 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone 5
A movie with DTS-HD audio will play and if you press the ok/select button on the remote, xbmc info will show DTS-HD, but your receiver is only getting the core DTS audio. The FTV can not pass through HD audio.

And yes, you should enable pass through in the settings because otherwise pass through won't work.
post #952 of 989 Old 07-11-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
Anyone here has cable card tv and experiences the WMC 29/59 bug.

Does Fire Tv play wtv files?

Please play this clip and compare to WMC:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...php?f=5&t=6385

Thanks
Anyone?
post #953 of 989 Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I also had to figure out myself why I was having trouble playing certain shows on Amazon Instant myself. No help from Google or Bing either they only fix was to force stop the Amazon Player and clear the cache and data a trick I learned from using my Android devices when the apps would misbehave. Also with the poor performance on Netflix it seems I am alone with that too.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 07-13-2014 at 11:23 AM.
post #954 of 989 Old 07-13-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I also had to figure out myself why I was having trouble playing certain shows on Amazon Instant myself. No help from Google or Bing either they only fix was to force stop the Amazon Player and clear the cache and data a trick I learned from using my Android devices when the apps would misbehave. Also with the poor performance on Netflix it seems I am alone with that too.
What exactly is wrong with the netflix app, other than the fact is not the latest version?
post #955 of 989 Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
What exactly is wrong with the netflix app, other than the fact is not the latest version?
If you read my review under Hugo A Ramirez you will see that for me it has all the same issues the PS3 Netflix app had back in 2011-2012.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #956 of 989 Old 07-14-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
Absolutely.
I too have a Synology NAS. XBMC works great except for files with DTS-HD. It seems to cause weird issues with the video, even on pass-through. I am also using Plex with MX, BS, and vlc players. You will have to side load them, but it the same deal with XBMC. This is my current work around until the DTS issue is fixed.
post #957 of 989 Old 07-15-2014, 02:00 AM

Liked: 10
Netflix Diagnostics & Stream manager screens on Fire TV

So I went to some trouble to document my findings with this but then managed to inadvertently post it to another (though related) thread. See here...

<snip - link & post/deleted>

@ Admin/mods - I haven't cross posted but if you don't mind please move it back to this Fire TV thread as the primary audience for it will be here.

Update: moved to this thread below as per instructions from michaeltscott.

Last edited by jakenz; 07-15-2014 at 04:40 PM.
post #958 of 989 Old 07-15-2014, 07:52 AM

Liked: 22
MLB Premium is now available on FireTV. The app is bare-bones compared to the Roku version. (no ballpark audio or local radio call options) And no jump-to-inning on on-demand games.
post #959 of 989 Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenz View Post
@ Admin/mods - I haven't cross posted but if you don't mind please move it back to this Fire TV thread as the primary audience for it will be here.

Edit it, copy the whole thing, delete it, return to this thread and paste it into the Quick Reply field.
post #960 of 989 Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 PM

Liked: 10
Netflix Diagnostics & Stream manager screens on Fire TV

With USB keyboard connected use these keystroke combinations:

CTL + shift + alt + D (Diagnostics - A/V stats, incl detailed stream info incl bitrates)
CTL + shift + alt + S ('Stream manager control panel - options to change video bitrate and CDN)

These key combinations also work on the Windows 8/Silverlight Netflix player. The main differences being (i) the menu layout is different (ii) the Fire TV's Settings screen lists the top 5800kbps video bitrate which I haven't seen as an option on the Silverlight one, and (iii) on the Fire TV selecting the 'Override' (OK/Apply) dialogue button to apply a rate, once selected, is proving challenging dammit.

Diagnostics screen
Via the debug screen I've observed that Netflix on my Fire TV generally stays around 720 / 3000kbps, even though I have a stable 15mbps+ connection.

So the option to force the Fire TV to select a higher Netflix bitrate than the conservative one it seems to be selecting for me - 1080p/5800kps in particular - has appeal. Appreciate that this might mean buffering pauses sometimes, but you don't know till you try, right? Which brings me to...

Stream Manager
On this screen, use the Tab keyboard key to tab between panels then PageUp / down keys to cycle between options.

I got as far as succesfully selecting 5800kbps video bitrate and tabbing to highlight the 'override' (ok/execute) on-screen button but I can't find a keyboard key or combo that will 'press' this. Eg. Pressing enter/return merely toggles the underlying video between pause & play. Most keys do nothing at all. Others kick you out of the vid. Connecting a mouse brings up a circle 'pointer' but clicking with it via the left or right mouse buttons on the 'override' dialogue box does nothing. Maybe a combo of keyboard and mouse keys would work but I can't try both at once yet.

If anyone could solve this final step I'd be much obliged.

[post moved across from Silverlight/Netflix thread where I mistakenly posted it]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stream manager.jpg (122.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Diagnostics.jpg (231.3 KB, 32 views)
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page