post #991 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
Maybe your ISP knows that you are streaming illegally so they throttle your connection.

Seriously, I don't know why you are experiencing buffering. I tried those addons a while ago but couldn't stand the low quality video and audio so I never bothered with them again.

Hah! I have read about throttling and I wouldn't put it past my provider to do it. My Xbox, Roku3 both stream just fine but it sounds like you are suggesting that the ISP may flag certain sources as questionable and in doing so they throttle the bandwidth. If that's the case then I guess it took them a week to catch on. Anyway, I agree about the quality though some of what I have seen was not that bad. I have a home theater for quality A/V, that is not what this box was intended for in my case. My wife misses cable and if I could just get the half dozen shows she really likes to stream through XBMC addons she would be a happy camper. She couldn't care less if it's not HD or 5.1 audio. We are talking about a 33 year old woman that loves "The Golden Girls" and watches old episodes over and over. I found all of that stuff in seasons grouped together nicely and it worked for a few days. Now, everything buffers.

So are you just using the Fire TV as a Netflix and Amazon streaming device?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I use it in the secondary system in the living room. I use it for Netflix, Amazon video, and XBMC for my BR and DVD rips.
post #993 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use it in the secondary system in the living room. I use it for Netflix, Amazon video, and XBMC for my BR and DVD rips.

Mine is secondary as well. I have tried playing my BD and DVD rips with mixed results. I adjusted some of the playback features in XBMC last night and fixed some stuttering problems. I was surprised to see a few of my full BD-ISO rips even play with menus intact. Some of my MKV files had green flashing and weird things going on so not sure what is wrong there.
post #994 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Any suggestions on how to improve streaming of content from the add ons? The first few days with this device were pretty cool and then I started experiencing buffering issues. It seems to be mostly TV shows and I'm not talking about live stuff, just the older content. For example, I have Navi-X installed and was showing my wife all of the old shows that she loves were on there, many with seasons she has not seen. A lot of this stuff played without issue last week but now it all buffers if it plays at all. I'm not sure what happened. I'm all hard wired on everything and have tried clearing the cache several times which doesn't seem to help.

You might wanna try a re-boot of the Fire TV. I had problems with buffering and did a re-boot and the Fire TV was working fine again. To re-boot hold the play and select buttons on the remote down together until the Fire TV says it is powering down. It will come back up after a few seconds and you don't lose any settings. My guess is that memory in the Fire TV fills up just like a computer and you need to restart it.
post #995 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmil7991 View Post
You might wanna try a re-boot of the Fire TV. I had problems with buffering and did a re-boot and the Fire TV was working fine again. To re-boot hold the play and select buttons on the remote down together until the Fire TV says it is powering down. It will come back up after a few seconds and you don't lose any settings. My guess is that memory in the Fire TV fills up just like a computer and you need to restart it.
Thanks, I was just reading about that button combination today for re-boot. I have previously tried unplugging the power and plugging it back in which I would assume would be the same thing. That did not help. Thanks for the suggestion and I will try this anyway. I'm wondering now if maybe I should just reset everything to defaults, wipe the box and start over.
post #996 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It could be because the Fire TV only has Fast Ethernet and not Gigabit Ethernet. This day and age all devices should have Gigabit Ethernet.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #997 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Some of my MKV files had green flashing and weird things going on so not sure what is wrong there.
I was reading the FTV thread on the xbmc forum today and someone mentioned the problem you are having with th green flashing. It was suggested that it only happens with full MKV BR rips. It doesn't happen if you re-encode to mkv and make the file smaller with handbrake.

I haven't experienced the green flashing because I shrunk the size of my BR rips with Handbrake to about 40% of the original size.
post #998 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone's Fire TV go belly up yet? Mine worked fine last night but I just tried powering it up to watch some Netflix and nada, it just refuses to power on. I have tried everything t no avail. Not happy right now, just bought this thing in April.
post #999 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope but I don't use the Fire TV for Netflix only for Amazon and YouTube.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #1000 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any parents in here? What's the status of FreeTime? I saw a post from mid-June that it was being selectively rolled out but then an update to that post said it was delayed again, etc.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/06/fre...-kid-friendly/

This is the main reason that I want to buy the Fire TV. Seems like they're having a hard time getting this thing out the door...
post #1001 of 1014 Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
It could be because the Fire TV only has Fast Ethernet and not Gigabit Ethernet. This day and age all devices should have Gigabit Ethernet.
What streaming service (or any other Fire TV app) needs Gigabit Ethernet?

You previously posted you had a TWC 15 Mpbs connection - I really don't think it matters if streaming devices have 100 Mpbs Ethernet or Gigabit Ethernet....
post #1002 of 1014 Old Today, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I am talking about streaming local content off a server that's gigabytes in size.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #1003 of 1014 Old Today, 02:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
I am talking about streaming local content off a server that's gigabytes in size.

So? The maximum bit rate is going to be 40 Mbps on the rare BD rip; you don't need a gigabit LAN connection for that.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1004 of 1014 Old Today, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was reading the FTV thread on the xbmc forum today and someone mentioned the problem you are having with th green flashing. It was suggested that it only happens with full MKV BR rips. It doesn't happen if you re-encode to mkv and make the file smaller with handbrake.

I haven't experienced the green flashing because I shrunk the size of my BR rips with Handbrake to about 40% of the original size.
I thought you were concerned with quality but you shrunk your BR rips? Just messing with you. I never had much luck with Handbrake. All of my files are full BD rips to ISO or MKV using DVD Fab or Makemkv.

Interesting theory but I can't really test it since all of my rips are full versions in the range of 25 to 50GB each.
post #1005 of 1014 Old Today, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I was just reading about that button combination today for re-boot. I have previously tried unplugging the power and plugging it back in which I would assume would be the same thing. That did not help. Thanks for the suggestion and I will try this anyway. I'm wondering now if maybe I should just reset everything to defaults, wipe the box and start over.
Well, I don't want to jinx myself but I made some changes last night and had no problem streaming several TV episodes that I was having issues with before. Little to no buffering at all. However, I made the mistake of doing several different things at once so I'm not sure what single thing or combination of things made the difference. I started with rebooting the box as suggested. No change there. I cleared the cache as I have many times before. No change. I uninstalled maybe two or three add ons that I was not using. Next I went into the Mashup add on and saw an icon labeled "Fixes" or it might have been "Maintenance". There were a few folders and files in there and one of them had a few options for cache. I selected the file called "0 Cache". In about 2 seconds I got a message that it was done. Next I went into the video acceleration menus of XBMC and turned everything off which I believe meant no hardware acceleration. Next I rebooted the box and was able to stream things that have not worked in days. I tinkered with the video acceleration menus some more, turning some things on and some off and this did not appear to make much if any difference. I was still able to stream without issue. So, I'm not sure what the fix was and I will need to try streaming a bit more to make sure it wasn't just a fluke but this seems promising.
post #1006 of 1014 Old Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
None of the streaming services need GigE. They don't come anywhere close to using that much bandwidth.(Even a Blu-ray Disc doesn't come near using that much) Heck, a 10BaseT connection would suffice for most streams.

I could stream my 3D and 2D BD ISOs at home to my PCH media players over a 100BT connection flawlessly.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1007 of 1014 Old Today, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FreeTime should be coming on all new devices. The update has been made official and all Amazon official pages have been updated...

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-...date-overview/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post
Any parents in here? What's the status of FreeTime? I saw a post from mid-June that it was being selectively rolled out but then an update to that post said it was delayed again, etc.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/06/fre...-kid-friendly/

This is the main reason that I want to buy the Fire TV. Seems like they're having a hard time getting this thing out the door...
post #1008 of 1014 Old Today, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just received my FTV today and am trying to install XBMC.
I cannot get the install file for XBMC 13.1 Gotham to work.
Does anyone else have a working link?
post #1009 of 1014 Old Today, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

http://xbmc.org/download/ Choose the ARM version of Android.
Where are you trying to install it from?
post #1010 of 1014 Old Today, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I had my Fire unhooked for a couple of weeks, got it setup back last night and installed the new FW. The white light stays on all the time and I coulda swore it would go off after some still time. Or maybe Im just confusing it with my Roku?

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1011 of 1014 Old Today, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I had my Fire unhooked for a couple of weeks, got it setup back last night and installed the new FW. The white light stays on all the time and I coulda swore it would go off after some still time. Or maybe Im just confusing it with my Roku?
My FireTV works like my Rokus. The Light is on and then turns off after a certain amount of inactivity. Then a button press on the remote and it will be on again.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1012 of 1014 Old Today, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats what I thought. I guess I need to reboot it.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
post #1013 of 1014 Old Today, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
........and how is Gigabit Ethernet going to help there?

Like streaming there is nothing you are going to play from a local server that needs anything close 100 Mbps never mind Gigabit
post #1014 of 1014 Old Today, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My FireTV works like my Rokus. The Light is on and then turns off after a certain amount of inactivity. Then a button press on the remote and it will be on again.

Yepp. Unplugged and rebooted. It shut off after a little while.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page