post #1141 of 1154 Unread 09-24-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
I've always felt the Dolby Digital Plus that the FTV defaults to (via HDMI) is lower in volume than straight Dolby Digital. If I play the same movie across both STBs, the Roku is always louder- but it still uses Dolby Digital for Amazon content. (that's how my AVR identifies the source)

FTV does have an optical out- which will force Dolby Digital instead of DD Plus. But I never thought the difference was drastic enough for me to actually switch it.
There's more than volume that is missing (IMO).
The LFE is very low and barely felt. *I watched Godzilla via Amazon HD.
I pumped my volume up +6db and it was barely noticeable. LFE was still very low.

I noticed this low audio/lack of bandwidth anytime it says Dolby Digital Plus on the receiver.
It's like the audio is encoded to DD+ but the bitrate must be very low or starved.
I will turn off DD+ and see if DD sounds better, more robust/full.

My Blu-ray's and VuDu streaming on a Roku sound normal through the same HDMI connection to the receiver.
*Roku VuDu Dolby Digital Plus is also low but increasing the volume by 3db makes the audio tolerable/acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1154 Unread 09-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post
There's more than volume that is missing (IMO).
The LFE is very low and barely felt. *I watched Godzilla via Amazon HD.
I pumped my volume up +6db and it was barely noticeable. LFE was still very low.

I noticed this low audio/lack of bandwidth anytime it says Dolby Digital Plus on the receiver.
It's like the audio is encoded to DD+ but the bitrate must be very low or starved.
I will turn off DD+ and see if DD sounds better, more robust/full.

My Blu-ray's and VuDu streaming on a Roku sound normal through the same HDMI connection to the receiver.
*Roku VuDu Dolby Digital Plus is also low but increasing the volume by 3db makes the audio tolerable/acceptable.
Don't have a Roku3 right now, but I don't remember having problems with Vudu's DD+ on it

Where the sound is low in every content is on the phat PS3, it doesn't even have DD+ (or doesn't bitstream it). It's low in Netflix and Vudu, I haven't checked amazon or crackle
post #1143 of 1154 Unread 09-25-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Don't be suckered into buying this thing for Netflix. I repeat it does not have the new Netflix app only the old dated horrible 2+year old version which still streams bad only 720p even though I now have a direct connection to Netflix though TWC (still nothing in the news about this) while even the ATV3 can achieve immediate Super HD playback.

Look at these deceiving screenshots.

However this thing is gold when streaming Amazon Instant content which never looked so great and plays instantly but of course that is to be excepted of a Amazon box.
I actually bought this for Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming and have been perfectly happy with it. I get Super HD with no problems and have no complaints about the Netflix UI.
post #1144 of 1154 Unread 09-25-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Well since Netflix now pays TWC ransom money every month even the Fire TV has no issues streaming Netflix in Super HD. I still rarely use it because it has next to no features like the ability to see how much time is left, no 5 second quick rewind too hear cool quotes again and no way to turn on captioning great for British TV shows like Doctor who without having to reload the stream. I can't wait until the Fire TV gets the up to date Netflix app that the Roku 3, PS3 and PS4 get now.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1145 of 1154 Unread 09-25-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Admittedly a little offtopic, but...

Isn't it hilarious how Comcast (which has also been extorting ransom money from Netflix) is now calling Netflix's opposition to its proposed buyout of TWC "extortion?"

http://recode.net/2014/09/24/comcast...-of-extortion/
sheshechic likes this.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #1146 of 1154 Unread 09-26-2014, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is it true that the Amazon Fire TV has an Xfinity "channel"? That is what I seem to have read somewhere, but I don't see any mention of Xfinity in this discussion...

Our other home has Comcast service, and I watch Xfinity on the computer and various devices with the login for that account, yet I don't see any streaming devices, like Roku or Apple TV having Xfinity. If the Fire does, and I can get CNN, ESPN, Pac-12 Networks, etc from Xfinity, I'll get a Fire immediately.

If indeed true, and anyone here is using Xfinity on the Fire, please comment on how it's working for you...

Thanks much.

Last edited by TonyB1966; 09-26-2014 at 01:59 AM.
post #1147 of 1154 Unread 09-26-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Is it true that the Amazon Fire TV has an Xfinity "channel"? That is what I seem to have read somewhere, but I don't see any mention of Xfinity in this discussion...

Our other home has Comcast service, and I watch Xfinity on the computer and various devices with the login for that account, yet I don't see any streaming devices, like Roku or Apple TV having Xfinity. If the Fire does, and I can get CNN, ESPN, Pac-12 Networks, etc from Xfinity, I'll get a Fire immediately.

If indeed true, and anyone here is using Xfinity on the Fire, please comment on how it's working for you...

Thanks much.
It's not a official FTV app, however you can Sideload it.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #1148 of 1154 Unread 09-27-2014, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
It's not a official FTV app, however you can Sideload it.
Thank you. After doing more reading after my earlier post, I had learned about sideloading, but wasn't sure what that meant, but I understand now...

Having a Roku 3 and Chromecast at this point, the only reason we'd want a Fire is for Xfinity. With Chromecast, Xfinity can be tab-casted to the TV screen, which I do now, but I was hoping for a easier way, like simply having it as a Roku channel, and not having to fire-up the computer and go that route...

I suppose there will be integrated solution someday.
post #1149 of 1154 Unread 09-27-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by adun79 View Post
Does anybody find the surround sound on Amazon content to be low compared to other types of content and even Amazon on Roku?
For instance in the Avengers, at the beginning after Fury fells from the helicopter and he shots at Loki's truck, the gunshots sound muffled like you have "night mode" on or something

Other thing that bugs me, comparing videos in XBMC, the skin tones are more red on the AFTV compared to my PC.
Did you calibrate your picture? Each device is different. As far as audio, the only difference I've noticed with the FireTV is DD+ from Amazon streaming. While the ROku is using a DD track. So maybe the Dolby Digital track audio level is different from the audio level DD+ track.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1150 of 1154 Unread Yesterday, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
Just setup my Fire TV. I have XBMC 13.2 and its buffering like crazy on all my blu ray movies (mkv) full rip. No issue with dvd (mkv) FTV is wired and my htpc (where my movies are stored) is also wired connect to my Asus RT-N66U. I even try to re boot Fire TV and still getting the same issues. Any suggestions?
Try searching the net and I am not seeing others having this issue. Should I try and do an exchange on my FTV? I also try running xbmc 14.0(Helix) on ftv and still same issue. Maybe I thought it was my network so this weekend I did a test and its not my network. I was able to stream from my htpc (xbmc) with no issues. The movies were stored on another pc that was connected via wifi. Maybe I should try and reset before doing the exchange.
post #1151 of 1154 Unread Yesterday, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Are you guys disabling MediaCodec under XBMC's video acceleration settings?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1152 of 1154 Unread Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
i try disabling MediaCodec and still no help. I even try increasing the cache on the player (advancedsettings.xml) and still buffering.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List