*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread - Page 40 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #1171 of 1569 Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Amazon streams great on the Fire TV. The PS4 shows 1080p but the jitter annoys me gives me a headache even Hulu Plus jitters on the PS4 but Netflix is smooth as silk and super sharp.

I will stream a episode of Warehouse 13 (which shows 1080p on the PS4) on the Fire TV while I have my router bandwidth page open and post the chart.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) 208.67.222.220, 8.8.4.4.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1569 Old 10-09-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post
On mine I do get the HD 1080p logo.
Interesting I tried again tonight.

A couple of titles at random from Amazon Instant - Time Runner and Marvel's Avengers - both showed the 1080P logo again.

When I got the Fire TV the 1080P logo was present - then it disappeared a few months ago (others in this thread reported the same) - now its back.

Anyway the average bit rate (and excellent picture quality) has remained the same at ~10 Mpbs so I am pretty sure I was getting 1080P throughout.
post #1173 of 1569 Old 10-09-2014, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I would stick with your PS3 for Amazon. I would not bother with a Roku 3 since they updated the app and got rid of the dots all I have is quality issues buffering mid stream with loading please wait. However as usual Netflix is great with the Roku 3.
TV series represent 99% of my Netflix viewing (Amazon too), the app on the Roku3 is a no go for me b/c of spoilers, I use the AppleTV for this.
As for Amazon on PS3, it sucks. When was this update on the Roku and what did it change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
As a few people reported here the Fire TV no longer seems to display the 1080P logo - even when its getting 1080P streams from Amazon instant.

So just because you don't see the logo doesn't mean you are not getting 1080P. What do your eyes tell you?

I am pretty sure I am still getting 1080P Amazon Instant streams with over 10 Mbps average bit rates and excellent picture quality.

There may be many reasons for returning a Fire TV - but Amazon Instant shouldn't be one of them....
While same content may look different depending on the provider (Avengers is warmer on AIV compared to Netflix), for me 1080 Netflix looks better than 720 Amazon in the darker scenes

In the end, for me the Fire TV was good only for Amazon content and even that wasn't perfect.

Also, forgot about this: I already mentioned how I hate even the slightest spoiler and they are present on Amazon Instant on the Fire Tv
post #1174 of 1569 Old 10-10-2014, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where does the 1080p logo display? When I bring up the timeline while playing Avengers, I see "HD" at the left end . Is that where it would be?
EDIT: Disregard this -- found answer in earlier post.

Also is there a setting in the AFTV and/or on Amazon.com that affects whether you get 1080p?

Last edited by dlflannery; 10-10-2014 at 05:07 AM.
post #1175 of 1569 Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post
Thanks but I did finally manage to get this working. Just had to let it update and thankfully it didn't update to the latest firmware!

I am about to pickup my 3rd Fire TV and want to make sure I am getting a Rootable one. Can you share the Serial Number of your Fire TV so I know not to get any newer version. You can mask out the last 2-digit of the serial number if you have any concern. Thanks a lot.

I prefer the recommended way of blocking automatic upgrade and may install custom ROM image later so I want to get a rootable one.
post #1176 of 1569 Old 10-15-2014, 02:43 PM

Spontaneous reboots?

Today while browsing Prime movies my AFTV went to solid blue screen for several seconds then rebooted. How common are spontaneous reboots and are there any known causes?

Nothing has changed in my setup for two months and this is the first spontaneous reboot. The software version hasn't changed for over a month.

The only non-stock aspect is I'm running side-loaded xbmc/kodi, Gotham 13.2. My AFTV is not rooted and xbmc has been running great since installed. I had been running the xbmc Youtube app prior to this reboot.

I might suspect a power fluctuation but my UPS didn't beep at the time this happened.
post #1177 of 1569 Old 10-15-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Just got the Fire TV.

Are there instructions on how to set it up to connect to my HTPC which already have XBMC running on it, along with all the media?

Thanks
post #1178 of 1569 Old 10-15-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Youtube has a few tutorials.
post #1179 of 1569 Old 10-16-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 21
CBS going all in to internet streaming:

http://www.cnet.com/news/watch-out-h...eb-tv-service/

If they bring out a CBS Fire TV app with this functionality, and/or add it to the CBS Roku channel (currently useless since it's nothing but clips) and stream in 1080, I'm in.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #1180 of 1569 Old 10-16-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix pathetic dated app they have for the Fire TV is still so buggy. I watch watching it earlier no buffering message or anything just a black screen in the middle of a program and I was kicked right out to the Amazon TV home screen. This app should have been updated now with the new modern UI but now I am getting impatient. Looking into the Nexus TV as it is going to run real Android not a stripped down crippled old version of Jellybean that Amazon runs. I also do subscribe to Google Play Music so being able to listen to my music on the TV will also be great. Even Amazon Music app on the Fire TV can't even play Prime music.

Also I know is that the Nexus TV will have more apps and up to date ones. Also there might be a Amazon Instant app for the Nexus TV platform soon and if so I can disconnect the Fire TV if the app performs good.

Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 10-16-2014 at 02:55 PM.
post #1181 of 1569 Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post
Just got the Fire TV.

Are there instructions on how to set it up to connect to my HTPC which already have XBMC running on it, along with all the media?

Thanks
You mean stream from your HTPC XBMC to FTV? Most of us are instead installing XBMC on FTV itself.

Easy way: Download XBMC 13.2 final here, then use this tool to install it on your Fire TV.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1182 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
You mean stream from your HTPC XBMC to FTV? Most of us are instead installing XBMC on FTV itself.

Easy way: Download XBMC 13.2 final here, then use this tool to install it on your Fire TV.
Does this require root? I'm still deciding if I want to root the Fire TV. Seems like I might miss out on future updates (like adding HBO Go) if I root it. Or am I full of beans? If so, please tell me why.
post #1183 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Like you, I want Amazon's updates. I only did root to get the XBMC icon on the homescreen, then removed root. But, to actually install and use XBMC, no root required.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1184 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 08:00 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is there any way to get root with the latest update? Not the end of the world to get to them but would be nicer if they were on the desktop.

Rick
post #1185 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Netflix pathetic dated app they have for the Fire TV is still so buggy. I watch watching it earlier no buffering message or anything just a black screen in the middle of a program and I was kicked right out to the Amazon TV home screen. This app should have been updated now with the new modern UI but now I am getting impatient. Looking into the Nexus TV as it is going to run real Android not a stripped down crippled old version of Jellybean that Amazon runs. I also do subscribe to Google Play Music so being able to listen to my music on the TV will also be great. Even Amazon Music app on the Fire TV can't even play Prime music.

Also I know is that the Nexus TV will have more apps and up to date ones. Also there might be a Amazon Instant app for the Nexus TV platform soon and if so I can disconnect the Fire TV if the app performs good.
I would not bet money on the nexus player being a long term product from google. I have more faith that amazon will stick with the fireTv. Google doesn't really know how to do anything but sell ads.
post #1186 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas155 View Post
Does this require root? I'm still deciding if I want to root the Fire TV. Seems like I might miss out on future updates (like adding HBO Go) if I root it. Or am I full of beans? If so, please tell me why.
No doesn't require root. The Kodi wiki has instructions for sideloading:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV
Also has instructions for using Llama to hijack the Classic TV icon on the home page to launch kodi. Works fine for me.
post #1187 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I have been watching a lot of netflix lately on the firetv and have not had a single crash, black screen, rebuffering or anything. It starts playing very quickly and picture looks great. I'm on Fios 50/50 plan so I have more than enough bandwidth. Yes they need to update the app but it is hardly as bad as you keep making it out to be.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #1188 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post
I have been watching a lot of netflix lately on the firetv and have not had a single crash, black screen, rebuffering or anything. It starts playing very quickly and picture looks great. I'm on Fios 50/50 plan so I have more than enough bandwidth. Yes they need to update the app but it is hardly as bad as you keep making it out to be.
That is my experience too. I too am on Fios 50/50 and I have my FTV hard wired.
post #1189 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I finally upgraded to Comcast BLAST after getting the Fire TV. The download speed clocked at around 109 mb/s.

I don't think I would have any trouble streaming 1080p content.
post #1190 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post
Really that is the first time it crashed for me. What gets me peeved is that Netflix does not seem to care about updating the app for the Fire TV. Even older BD players got at least the updated Netflix icon in the old UI. Well it does not matter I will be getting the Nexus Player next month and the Fire TV will be used only for Amazon Prime content as I am tired of waiting for any update that won't come.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1191 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlflannery View Post
No doesn't require root. The Kodi wiki has instructions for sideloading:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV
Also has instructions for using Llama to hijack the Classic TV icon on the home page to launch kodi. Works fine for me.

with the classic tv you will see the classic tv splash screen before it switch to kodi splash ,use the ikono tv it will take you straight to kodi.
post #1192 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Really that is the first time it crashed for me. What gets me peeved is that Netflix does not seem to care about updating the app for the Fire TV. Even older BD players got at least the updated Netflix icon in the old UI. Well it does not matter I will be getting the Nexus Player next month and the Fire TV will be used only for Amazon Prime content as I am tired of waiting for any update that won't come.
This doesn't solve your Netflix on FireTV problem reddice, but I seriously doubt that it was Netflix' decision to place an older app on a brand new device after spending over a year (according to them) developing the new standard UI for all other devices capable of carrying it. That just doesn't make sense. It is far more likely that Amazon embargoed the new UI, for a set amount of time, to highlight the sophistication of their Amazon Prime app, giving themselves an advantage over a rival service.

LOL, you've bought so many of these boxes, where the heck do you keep them all???
reddice likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1193 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
I'm sure the update will be coming. After all .... they said we were getting the voice search with Netflix soon.

Have you seen Netflix running on nexus TV? I hope it's the new interface and meets your expectations .... For everyone's sake in the new nexus TV thread ;-)
post #1194 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I see the new Nexus player is off to a good start

This device has not been approved by the Federal Communications Commission. It is not for sale until approval of the FCC has been obtained.
post #1195 of 1569 Old 10-17-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

So them Amazon should get them once FCC approval.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1196 of 1569 Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Like reddice, I have 4 streaming boxes hooked into my system because not 1 of them can do everything I require them to do.
Apple TV can stream my Disney Digital Copies and natively stream my large itunes and Music Match library. No Amazon Prime, Plex or VUDU.
Roku does Netflix, Amazon Prime,VUDU, and Plex, but it's Plex app's GUI is antiquated and ugly, but at least functional.
Netgear NeoTV does Netflix, Cinema Now, VUDU 3D(though I haven't got 3D it to work!). Plex server via DLNA only.
Amazon Fire TV does Amazon Prime, Netflix and has the best Plex GUI. Unfortunately it is useless as 5.1 audio is still a no go within MKV container.
Also no VUDU.

Quoting the Chef of the Future. " Can't someone design a product to do the work of all of these?"

"To Live Outside The Law You Must Be Honest"
post #1197 of 1569 Old 10-18-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuick6 View Post
like reddice, i have 4 streaming boxes hooked into my system because not 1 of them can do everything i require them to do.
apple tv can stream my disney digital copies and natively stream my large itunes and music match library. No amazon prime, plex or vudu.
roku does netflix, amazon prime,vudu, and plex, but it's plex app's gui is antiquated and ugly, but at least functional.
netgear neotv does netflix, cinema now, vudu 3d(though i haven't got 3d it to work!). Plex server via dlna only.
amazon fire tv does amazon prime, netflix and has the best plex gui. Unfortunately it is useless as 5.1 audio is still a no go within mkv container.
Also no vudu.

Quoting the chef of the future. " can't someone design a product to do the work of all of these?"
htpc!
post #1198 of 1569 Old 10-18-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Or a real STB media player...Like from Dune or Popcorn Hour.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1199 of 1569 Old 10-18-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Or a real STB media player...Like from Dune or Popcorn Hour.
I didn't recommend those since you can't access Netflix, Hulu, VUDU app like he wants. Unless you have a smart TV then it shouldn't be an issue.
post #1200 of 1569 Old 10-18-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post
I finally upgraded to Comcast BLAST after getting the Fire TV. The download speed clocked at around 109 mb/s.

I don't think I would have any trouble streaming 1080p content.
Unless Comcast "Manages" the network traffic and SLOWS WAY down the traffic you are requesting from Amazon/Netflix considering it is not coming from their services..........no they would never try to stiffle competition.....

Last edited by qz3fwd; 10-18-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming