*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #1351 of 1608 Old 11-23-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
How long has it been since you've used the PS3 for streaming Netflix? A recent update seems to have brought better quality streaming at startup to the PS3 as well. I typically use my smart TV or BD player for streaming, so I have only tried it a couple of times, but it worked well. If it were quieter it would be my go-to device.
Tried the PS3 yesterday and it still started at that horrible 240p. FF REW method still works though. On the Fire TV it starts out in HD right away it use to start out horrible but they updated the app a couple of weeks ago and now it starts in HD no more FF REW trick.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43_2 (Merlin Fork) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1608 Old 11-25-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingher View Post
Also $24 at Staples.
Is the sale still ongoing? And would you recommend this over the Roku Streaming Stick, which is available from Best Buy online today for $39.99, $10 off with free shipping? I'm not a Prime member, but I like the UI on the Fire TV Stick and the speed is supposedly there. I do have some Amazon content purchased and would mainly use Netflix. I like that the Roku has more content and is not tied to any ecosystem, however. Plus, I think Roku often receives Netflix UI updates more frequently, and I like the cross-platform/service search feature. Does Netflix on the Fire TV Stick start up in seconds like the new Roku app does?
post #1353 of 1608 Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Is there something up with this thread? I see new posts, but when I come here, mine from11/23 is the last.
post #1354 of 1608 Old 11-25-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, now I can see the last two... Carry on.
post #1355 of 1608 Old 11-25-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Is there something up with this thread? I see new posts, but when I come here, mine from11/23 is the last.
I saw similar problems earlier today and now it seems OK.
post #1356 of 1608 Old 11-25-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

post #1357 of 1608 Old 11-25-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
Is the sale still ongoing? And would you recommend this over the Roku Streaming Stick, which is available from Best Buy online today for $39.99, $10 off with free shipping? I'm not a Prime member, but I like the UI on the Fire TV Stick and the speed is supposedly there. I do have some Amazon content purchased and would mainly use Netflix. I like that the Roku has more content and is not tied to any ecosystem, however. Plus, I think Roku often receives Netflix UI updates more frequently, and I like the cross-platform/service search feature. Does Netflix on the Fire TV Stick start up in seconds like the new Roku app does?
Staples.com says til 11/29. I have a Roku 3, but haven't used the Roku Stick. I got this one to attempt XBMC on though I haven't had enough of a chance to really test it out yet.
post #1358 of 1608 Old 11-26-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I picked up a Fire TV Stick at Staples last night. Figured I could mull over it while I decide whether or not to keep it. For just over $25 after tax, it's not a bad deal.
post #1359 of 1608 Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Overview of Fire TV Stick Software Update 54.1.0.1_user_101016220

http://www.aftvnews.com/overview-of-...ser_101016220/

"
I think they added soft restart feature too.
On the remote, press and hold the Select button and the Play button at the same time until Amazon Fire TV Restarts (about five seconds)."
aaronwt likes this.
post #1360 of 1608 Old 11-30-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Got both my sticks in. Set one up in living room plugged directly into Denon and the other went on the bedroom tv.
post #1361 of 1608 Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The FireTV is $69 today on amazon
post #1362 of 1608 Old 12-01-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adun79 View Post
The FireTV is $69 today on amazon
For that price I could not pass it up also I had a $13 credit. It will be hooked up in my living room TV then I can finally disconnect the Roku 3. Not that the Roku 3 does not stream Netflix good (sux for Amazon Instant) but the stupid WiFi Direct broadcasts on the same 2.4Ghz channel as my WiFi network causing it to lag. This started since the last software update. Before it use to go on 5Ghz on channel 165 with no interference at all. If you go onto the Roku forums you see a lot of complaints about it.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1363 of 1608 Old 12-01-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yeah, at $69 it's a great deal. It's one of the better Android boxes out there.
post #1364 of 1608 Old 12-01-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
For that price I could not pass it up also I had a $13 credit. It will be hooked up in my living room TV then I can finally disconnect the Roku 3. Not that the Roku 3 does not stream Netflix good (sux for Amazon Instant) but the stupid WiFi Direct broadcasts on the same 2.4Ghz channel as my WiFi network causing it to lag. This started since the last software update. Before it use to go on 5Ghz on channel 165 with no interference at all. If you go onto the Roku forums you see a lot of complaints about it.
You need to force it to a 5Ghz channel. I forced mine to channel 165 on 5Ghz. It stayed there until recently when I had cut power to it. So I had to force it back to 5Ghz. The WiFi Direct crap was the reason I never got any more ROku3 boxes. Because if it uses a 2.4Ghz channel it forces everything to only use 20Mhz bandwidth. WHich in my case slowed the transfer rates of everything down.

I have a FireTV in my main setup. After using the FireTV stick in my secondary setup, it gives me everything I need from the FireTV for much less. At least for the prices I paid for them. Compared to $38 though the FireTV at only $69 is a great deal since it also includes the more expensive remote which costs $30 extra to add to the FireTV stick.
reddice likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-01-2014 at 05:41 PM.
post #1365 of 1608 Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The remote for the stick retails for $15.
post #1366 of 1608 Old 12-02-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
The remote for the stick retails for $15.
I'm talking about the voice remote. It comes with the FireTV. And costs $30 to get it for the FireTV Stick.

http://www.amazon.com/Voice-remote-A...ywords=fire+tv

LED DLP
post #1367 of 1608 Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblum View Post
How about music? All files flac, a few higher res than straight CD rips.

Bob
Good question...any way to play FLACs without rooting the system? I like to keep my components all factory!

TV: Panasonic TCP60-GT50
A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-65
Satellite: Dish Hopper+Joeys+Sling
Fronts and Rears: Polk Audio (Vanishing Series) RT-65; Center: 255-RT
Subwoofer: Definitive Technology Supercube 2000
3D Blu-Ray Player: Oppo BDP-93; Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon; Streamer: Amazon FireTV
post #1368 of 1608 Old 12-03-2014, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffal0s0uljah View Post
My Fire TV is having issues with intermittent signal loss via HDMI directly connected to my Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma TV. The signal loss happens at random intervals, usually for about one second, where the screen goes black and audio cuts out. I've tried using different HDMI cables and switching HDMI ports on my TV, setting display to various resolutions, but I'm still getting this problem.

I also tried testing the Fire TV with other TV's I own to see if it is a defective unit or an isolated problem on my Panasonic plasma. After hooking it up to both a Samsung LCD TV and even my Asus 23 inch computer monitor, I didn't experience any signal loss whatsoever. This leads me to believe that the Fire TV is not playing nice with my Panasonic plasma for whatever reason.

Is the ST60 known for having any HDMI issues with Android devices? My Xbox 360, Intel NUC mini PC and cable box work on the TV just fine.
Rather old quote but also the only one with the same problem as me on the internet, as far as I can tell.
I had the same problems as you. HDMI Signal Loss with my Fire TV on my Panasonic Plasma (having a TX-P42GW10 myself) at 1080p. 720p was fine. I tried everything. HDMI Repeater, new cables, different HDMI Slots on my TV. Nothing did it. On another TV it worked fine.
But than I found it. A few days ago. There is a Firmware Update, rather old (my TV is from 2009). It was developed to fix signal loss.
Yesterday I applied the update with an old SD-Card and now, it looks like it's fixed.
I had a look. I don't think the same applies to your TV and I don't think there is a Firmware to address this issue, but it might be worth to look into it nonetheless.
post #1369 of 1608 Old 12-04-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJW in Hawaii View Post
Good question...any way to play FLACs without rooting the system? I like to keep my components all factory!
No need to root the system to install Kodi or a player like MX or VLC. They will all play your FLAC files.
post #1370 of 1608 Old 12-04-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my second Fire TV box yesterday wrapped in a bag for my Grandmother to be hooked up the living room TV then I can disconnect the Roku 3 with its stupid WiFi (interference) Direct crap that it uses. Heck I might disconnect the Roku 3 now and just use the PS3 for Netflix on the living room TV until Christmas.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1371 of 1608 Old 12-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4rter View Post
Rather old quote but also the only one with the same problem as me on the internet, as far as I can tell.
I had the same problems as you. HDMI Signal Loss with my Fire TV on my Panasonic Plasma (having a TX-P42GW10 myself) at 1080p. 720p was fine. I tried everything. HDMI Repeater, new cables, different HDMI Slots on my TV. Nothing did it. On another TV it worked fine.
But than I found it. A few days ago. There is a Firmware Update, rather old (my TV is from 2009). It was developed to fix signal loss.
Yesterday I applied the update with an old SD-Card and now, it looks like it's fixed.
I had a look. I don't think the same applies to your TV and I don't think there is a Firmware to address this issue, but it might be worth to look into it nonetheless.
Interesting. I think you are the first person I have encountered with the same problem. I've had the Fire TV hooked up to another TV without any issues but I think it may be worth checking my Panasonic for a firmware update (haven't checked in quite some time) to see if I can finally get this resolved. Will report back.
post #1372 of 1608 Old 12-05-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffal0s0uljah View Post
Interesting. I think you are the first person I have encountered with the same problem. I've had the Fire TV hooked up to another TV without any issues but I think it may be worth checking my Panasonic for a firmware update (haven't checked in quite some time) to see if I can finally get this resolved. Will report back.
Glad that you still check this forum. Was worried you might never read my reply.
I did get my Firmware from here another site, not the Panasonic website, because Panasonic only offers Firmware from 2010 onwards on their website, and my TV is from 2009. But thank god there are other pages that still keep track of older Firmware.
I would post the link, but apparently I need 5 posts to do that.

Yeah, you were the only one if found with this kind of problem as well.
I made the mistake to only look for people that had the signal loss in connection with the Fire TV. But when I started looking for people with signal loss problems in general (and with my TV), I found more and more replies. People had these problems in the past with Xbox 360 and such, and therefore Panasonic made this Firmware Update. Strangely, I never had any problems with the Xbox 360 (borrowed it from a friend a few years back to play Red Dead Redemption). The Fire TV was the first hardware that triggered this lingering problem.

I hope you can fix your problem as well!
post #1373 of 1608 Old 12-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Remote App for Windows PC -- and for iOS devices, sorta

I've programmed a Fire TV remote app (program that is) that will run on your networked Windows PC (or laptop).

Everything you need, including detailed instructions is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1x...Vcontrol10.zip
It's very easy to set up.

By using the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on an iOS device (on the same network) this program effectively provides a remote app for iOS devices. I do this with my iPad because my Windows PC is not in the same room as my FTV and I don't have a Windows laptop.

EDIT: I might add a primary motivation for doing this was to provide a mechanism for controlling my FTV during those occasional times when the Voice Remote goes dead. Also, if this ADB-based network control method works during those times, it isolates these problems to a BlueTooth issue. Or if it doesn't work, it suggests a problem in the FTV itself -- i.e., it provides useful debugging info.

Last edited by dlflannery; 12-07-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Additional comments
post #1374 of 1608 Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got the FireTV when it was on sale at Amazon the other day. The system is speedy and has a lot of great features. A few questions, though. Why does it take so long for Amazon video streams to reach HD? I have a lowly 5Mbps connection (the fastest I can get), but my Roku and PS4 only take about 30 seconds for Amazon vids to reach HD, while the FireTV takes several minutes. Moreover, Netflix and Hulu reach HD fairly quickly on the FireTV. It's just the Amazon stuff that takes so long. Has anyone else noticed this? Is the FireTV receiving a different type of Amazon stream than other streaming devices? I love the FireTV's peppiness, but it may get sent back if this is par for the course with the Amazon video.
post #1375 of 1608 Old 12-08-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeMan View Post
I got the FireTV when it was on sale at Amazon the other day. The system is speedy and has a lot of great features. A few questions, though. Why does it take so long for Amazon video streams to reach HD? I have a lowly 5Mbps connection (the fastest I can get), but my Roku and PS4 only take about 30 seconds for Amazon vids to reach HD, while the FireTV takes several minutes. Moreover, Netflix and Hulu reach HD fairly quickly on the FireTV. It's just the Amazon stuff that takes so long. Has anyone else noticed this? Is the FireTV receiving a different type of Amazon stream than other streaming devices? I love the FireTV's peppiness, but it may get sent back if this is par for the course with the Amazon video.
My wired FireTV and all my FireTV sticks(wireless) are typically playing the HD stream right away. Although it can take twenty seconds or more to start streaming the 1080P stream.

The Amazon bitrates are supposed to be higher than Netflix and Hulu. Not sure what the 720P HD stream is but the 1080P stream is supposed to be around 10Mb/s I believe. WHile Netflix has two 1080P streams. The higher one is something like 5.8Mb/s while the lower one is under 5Mb/s.

LED DLP
post #1376 of 1608 Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have the Fire TV and just recently added a Fire Stick in another room. Fire Stick hooked up quickly and is working fine, but now my Fire TV is not connecting to the WiFi and is saying there is an "Authentication Error". I've re-entered my (WiFi) password several times and still no luck.

Any suggestions?
post #1377 of 1608 Old 12-08-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
I have the Fire TV and just recently added a Fire Stick in another room. Fire Stick hooked up quickly and is working fine, but now my Fire TV is not connecting to the WiFi and is saying there is an "Authentication Error". I've re-entered my (WiFi) password several times and still no luck.

Any suggestions?
Might be confusion in your router assigning IP. Try reserving a different IP for each device in the router. Rebooting the affected FireTV unit might also resolve IP errors. Jot down the MAC from the setup screen in each FireTV so you can more easily identify them in the router's setup.
post #1378 of 1608 Old 12-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
post #1379 of 1608 Old 12-08-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlflannery View Post
I've programmed a Fire TV remote app (program that is) that will run on your networked Windows PC (or laptop).

Everything you need, including detailed instructions is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1x...Vcontrol10.zip
It's very easy to set up.
Just a follow up: One person asked in a PM if this also works on the FireTV Stick -- answer: Yes.
post #1380 of 1608 Old 12-09-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Funny stuff again to day. I was looking at the last post in the thread and it said is was #1377 out of 1379. Could not access the last two posts. Interesting to see what happens to this post .....

EDIT: I see it's still two off. Are two posts missing or is the count just wrong?

EDIT2: And now the issue is gone (???????)

Last edited by dlflannery; 12-10-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming