Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
post #1381 of 1398 Old 12-14-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Not sure, but I have watched a good bit of Netflix and Amazon on my Fire Sticks and they have been working well. I do tend to do the quick reboot with the remote every time I go to watch.

It's a Roku habit since these are like small pc's. I also reboot my phone after I install or update apps. OCD I guess.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1398 Old 12-14-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 854
I don't reboot my ROkus or FireTV/FireTV sticks. Heck I don't even reboot the Windows PC I run 24/7. The only time any of these are rebooted is when there is an update that does the rebooting. Otherwise I don't have any issues running without rebooting them.

And the same with my android phone and tablets. If there is an OS update it will reboot. Otherwise it is never rebooted. It just goes into standby/sleep.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-14-2014 at 08:16 PM.
post #1383 of 1398 Old 12-15-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 375
I've found when an app acts up, hell even when you arent getting reliable streaming from an app (see Netflix PQ ramp up), a reboot fixes it. This is from Roku experience, and if you look into it on their forums you will note it was not isolated. While I have found no need to do it on the fire sticks, since they put that easy and fast reset, I use it.

In comparison, my wife never reboots her iphone, I do after any app updates. When she starts having funky issues, a soft reboot fixes. Do the math on that one.

I also don't have issues with a windows laptops if I dont reboot them, I just do. After updates or prolonged use, a reboot is just better safe than sorry. Doesn't mean you have to, and it is personal preference for me. Same reason I don't use the fast boot on blu-ray players. The ONLY problems Ive had on players in the last few years were with fast boot on. I just stopped using it and don't have quirky problems. Not saying all players would require this, but it saves me potential grief.

I also reboot my Tivo and Direct DVR once a week too

Some people don't change their transmission fluid ever, others do as scheduled. Life choices.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

Last edited by gadgtfreek; 12-15-2014 at 07:16 AM.
post #1384 of 1398 Old 12-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlflannery View Post
I've programmed a Fire TV remote app (program that is) that will run on your networked Windows PC (or laptop).
Just ran across this post and wanted to say THANKS. Been thinking about a remote workaround solution for my Stick, this may help. Will check it out tonight.
post #1385 of 1398 Old 12-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The firetv HBOGO app was released today. Make sure to delete the sideloaded generic hbogo apk before installing the new one. I initially did not uninstall the sideloaded apk and after installation of the firetv hbogo app, it showed the new one under all applications, but started the generic hbogo apk each time.

Last edited by cutiger1978; 12-15-2014 at 08:38 PM.
post #1386 of 1398 Old 12-18-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had updates to my Fire Stick and Fire TV in the last two days. I see no difference in either one.
post #1387 of 1398 Old 12-20-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please excuse me if during my search I didn't find it and it is already mentioned.
My Fire TV turns off the sound to my receiver if I turn the TV off.
So if I'm listening to a station on Tune-In Radio, turn the sound on my receiver (getting audio from optical) then turn my TV off, the sound stops. Leave the TV on, and the sound stay on.
Is there an adapter for the hdmi that can fix this? I'm guess the box is noticing the TV is off through the hdmi.

Thanks!
post #1388 of 1398 Old 12-20-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You probably have to configure your receiver to stay on if the TV is turned off. But then you'll have to remember to turn it off the rest of the time. There's usually some settings on the AVR to control this. Search for your make/model here on the other forums to find specifics that might help. You may also have to change settings on the TV.

All of this is controlled via HDMI-CEC. (consumer electronics control). Various manufacturers have put their own names on the tech (Panasonic calls is Viera Link).
post #1389 of 1398 Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
You probably have to configure your receiver to stay on if the TV is turned off. But then you'll have to remember to turn it off the rest of the time. There's usually some settings on the AVR to control this. Search for your make/model here on the other forums to find specifics that might help. You may also have to change settings on the TV.

All of this is controlled via HDMI-CEC. (consumer electronics control). Various manufacturers have put their own names on the tech (Panasonic calls is Viera Link).
Thanks for the info. However currently I have the TV through HDMI and the Receiver through Optical only. This way when I listen to Pandora or Tune-In I simply turn the TV off and listen with the Receiver. Worked fine with Roku.
The auto-off would save my internet usage if I forgot to turn the streaming service off. But it will use too much power to keep the TV on just to listen to music.
there must be an adapter out there that will help with this,
thanks for your input, and if anyone else has an idea of an adapter or something that would work. I'm thinking maybe to try another switcher and it's possible that device could restrict the auto-off sensing function.
post #1390 of 1398 Old 12-21-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm not sure you've pursued the CEC issue. Have you poked around in your TV's menu system to find this and turn it off? The name varies with the brand. For example Samsung calls it Anynet. What you're seeing is very consistent with CEC being active.
post #1391 of 1398 Old 12-21-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychaelp View Post
Thanks for the info. However currently I have the TV through HDMI and the Receiver through Optical only. This way when I listen to Pandora or Tune-In I simply turn the TV off and listen with the Receiver. Worked fine with Roku.
The auto-off would save my internet usage if I forgot to turn the streaming service off. But it will use too much power to keep the TV on just to listen to music.
there must be an adapter out there that will help with this,
thanks for your input, and if anyone else has an idea of an adapter or something that would work. I'm thinking maybe to try another switcher and it's possible that device could restrict the auto-off sensing function.
You need to better and more precisely explain exactly how you have the gear all connected, AND the make/model of each of them.

When you say you've got the receiver connected via optical, I take it that's because there's not enough (or any) HDMI inputs into it? If that's the case then, honestly, get a new receiver. One with enough HDMI inputs and support for modern features like HDMI-CEC. I've got one of Denon's E300 units in an exercise room and it does a terrific job. Handles all the CEC stuff and has network streaming features for audio.
post #1392 of 1398 Old 12-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
You need to better and more precisely explain exactly how you have the gear all connected, AND the make/model of each of them.

When you say you've got the receiver connected via optical, I take it that's because there's not enough (or any) HDMI inputs into it? If that's the case then, honestly, get a new receiver. One with enough HDMI inputs and support for modern features like HDMI-CEC. I've got one of Denon's E300 units in an exercise room and it does a terrific job. Handles all the CEC stuff and has network streaming features for audio.
Thanks for the input.
Here is more detailed info.
Fire TV is connected via HDMI to my TV's Input-2. I don't have it running through the Receiver because it must be ON and use power to pass-thru a signal. Sometimes I just want to watch something with TV speakers and have no need to turn on the receiver.
The optical is from the Fire TV to the 2nd Optical input of the receiver.
When I use Pandora, with TV on and Receiver on everything works perfectly. If I turn the TV off, then the app stops streaming so no sound from receiver either.
It's an Onkyo SR508 by the way. But I think the problem is the TV is sending a signal to the Fire TV that it's time to turn off the stream. My TV is from 2007 and has no setting to disable. So I thought there might be an adapter someone here knew about that could disable that function by keeping it away from the box.
Thanks again for the offer to assist here.
post #1393 of 1398 Old 12-21-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Right, so modern receivers usually have a built-in pass-through feature. Where the HDMI switch is configured to automatically pass a certain input through when the AVR is off. I use this to allow for late night TV viewing using just the TV speakers instead of the in-ceiling ones.

With your setup the Fire is trying to be sensible and turning itself off when it senses there's no active endpoint for it's signal. Plug it into a receiver and you eliminate the problem. I don't think there's any reasonable way to accomplish what you're after without the cost of a separate box approaching that of a newer receiver with pass-through. That said, I know nothing of the details related to the SR508, so you'd probably want to ask about that over in a receiver forum here.

Note that by using HDMI straight to the TV you're probably forcing the Fire to use only stereo audio for it's streaming. If you'd plug it straight into the AVR you'd be able to get better audio sources (when available).

It was about a year or two ago that a lot of things finally came together in how AVRs and TVs interact. Before that time there was a lot of half-assed nonsense involved with trying to force things to work. Most current gear has finally eliminated a lot of the nonsense. So what I'm saying is upgrades may be a lot more worthwhile than you might think.
post #1394 of 1398 Unread Today, 07:28 AM

Liked: 13
Question on the YouTube app...

Regular "free" YouTube videos play fine. But I've run into a problem trying to play "purchases."

Many of our Disney Blurays come with a code to make them playable via the Disney Movies Anywhere app. It makes them show up in iTunes and Google Play Movies (because I have both my Itunes and Google accounts linked). I just noticed they also show under "purchases" in YouTube. These movies do play fine via web browser and YouTube.com on my PC, or the Youtube app on my Moto X and iPad.

The problem comes when I try via the YouTube app on the Fire TV. The movies show up under Purchases, but when I try to play them, I just get a spinning circle with play controls under it on the screen, and they never start.

Its not just the Disney ones either. LOTR, Big, and Elf which were all "freebies" in the Google Play store at one time, are also listed under my purchases in YouTube, but do the same when trying to play them.

Should I be able to play them via the YouTube app on Fire TV?
post #1395 of 1398 Unread Today, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Question on the YouTube app...

Regular "free" YouTube videos play fine. But I've run into a problem trying to play "purchases."

The problem comes when I try via the YouTube app on the Fire TV. The movies show up under Purchases, but when I try to play them, I just get a spinning circle with play controls under it on the screen, and they never start.

Should I be able to play them via the YouTube app on Fire TV?

I had this problem with "The Interview." I never figured it out and had to attach a laptop to watch the movie.
Joe M.
post #1396 of 1398 Unread Today, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I noticed now the second Fire TV box I got has the power port on the left and USB port on the right. My box a launch edition has the USB on the left and power port on the right. I could not find anything about a new Fire TV revision.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming