*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #1441 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcharlie View Post
Anyone else have a problem getting the Fire TV to output Dolby Digital? For the life of me I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Have an older Denon 3805 and have connected the Fire TV to it via optical cable. I have gone into the settings on the Fire TV and made sure the audio is set to output DD over optical. But I can't seem to get anything to actually play in it. Have gone to a number of Netflix titles which definitely advertise DD 5.1 but everything comes through PCM and then the Denon processes it into artificial surround. Is there some other setting I am possibly missing? Do you also need to instruct Netflix to output DD as well? I did rent Gone Girl through the device the other night and also came through in PCM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The avr needs to support dolby digital plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
The avr needs to support dolby digital plus.

Are you saying that because my receiver is somewhat older and does not have DD plus it cannot receive a digital signal from the Fire TV? I was under the impression that plus was backwards compatible. Or are you saying there is a setting on the Fire TV to use a simple DD instead of DD plus?
post #1443 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 36
A question for the pros:
I have been using the Fire stick for a while now and I'm getting more comfortable with it.
Is there a way to use two fire sticks in the same house, independently of each other?
Are the remote controls paired up so that one remote will only operate it's paired stick?
Thanks.
post #1444 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you saying that because my receiver is somewhat older and does not have DD plus it cannot receive a digital signal from the Fire TV? I was under the impression that plus was backwards compatible. Or are you saying there is a setting on the Fire TV to use a simple DD instead of DD plus?
I believe the fire tv outputs dd plus, and if your avr does not support it and you get pcma. How old is the avr?
relevant link http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...x1KOVJHREPPETT

Last edited by PretzelFisch; 01-20-2015 at 12:34 PM.
post #1445 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
I believe the fire tv outputs dd plus, and if your avr does not support it and you get pcma. How old is the avr?
relevant link http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...x1KOVJHREPPETT

The receiver is definitely old enough to not do DD plus but as I said my impression from reading Dolby Lab material that plus is backward compatible with existing equipment able to process DD 5.1. So does the Fire TV have some problem sending the audio or is something else I am missing?
post #1446 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
A question for the pros:
I have been using the Fire stick for a while now and I'm getting more comfortable with it.
Is there a way to use two fire sticks in the same house, independently of each other?
Are the remote controls paired up so that one remote will only operate it's paired stick?
Thanks.
AFAIK, it should work as long as you are careful not to pair the wrong remote. (both of them will show up for both devices)
Keep in mind that both sticks will be on the same wireless network and sharing that bandwidth.
post #1447 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The receiver is definitely old enough to not do DD plus but as I said my impression from reading Dolby Lab material that plus is backward compatible with existing equipment able to process DD 5.1. So does the Fire TV have some problem sending the audio or is something else I am missing?
you misunderstand what Dolby Lab meant. DD plus avr will decode older DD format.
post #1448 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Anyone else have a problem getting the Fire TV to output Dolby Digital? For the life of me I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Have an older Denon 3805 and have connected the Fire TV to it via optical cable. I have gone into the settings on the Fire TV and made sure the audio is set to output DD over optical. But I can't seem to get anything to actually play in it. Have gone to a number of Netflix titles which definitely advertise DD 5.1 but everything comes through PCM and then the Denon processes it into artificial surround. Is there some other setting I am possibly missing? Do you also need to instruct Netflix to output DD as well? I did rent Gone Girl through the device the other night and also came through in PCM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
I can't say with certainty, but I assume that the box is going to output the type audio that the connected HDMI device is handshaking for. So if the TV is connected by HDMI but you have SPDIF going to AVR, the box could force 2-ch audio to both outputs. If the TV handshakes for 5.1, you *should* get 5.1 to both outputs. I seriously doubt that the box is capable of outputting 2 different audio types.
post #1449 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I can't say with certainty, but I assume that the box is going to output the type audio that the connected HDMI device is handshaking for. So if the TV is connected by HDMI but you have SPDIF going to AVR, the box could force 2-ch audio to both outputs. If the TV handshakes for 5.1, you *should* get 5.1 to both outputs. I seriously doubt that the box is capable of outputting 2 different audio types.
Very frustrating. Is there any workaround possible then? Can I somehow "turn off" the audio going thru HDMI and only have it output through optical? I imagine a lot of people must have similar circumstances to mine
post #1450 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
Very frustrating. Is there any workaround possible then? Can I somehow "turn off" the audio going thru HDMI and only have it output through optical? I imagine a lot of people must have similar circumstances to mine
Run the optical cable directly from Fire to Denon.
Btw PCM can be 5.1/7.1 also. You sure you're not getting true surround sound?
post #1451 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
That is exactly what I am doing. Optical cable is going straight from the Fire TV to my receiver. I can't say for sure it is not true surround but it does not sound quite right to me.
post #1452 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
A question for the pros:
Thanks.
I have three FireTV sticks and one FireTV. Each remote is paired to it's own device. I've had no issues with the paired remotes..

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1453 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
You won't be getting 5.1/7.1 pcm over optical. Only stereo pcm over optical.

LED DLP
post #1454 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Very frustrating. Is there any workaround possible then? Can I somehow "turn off" the audio going thru HDMI and only have it output through optical?
I can't speak to the FireTV box, but I doubt this is possible. Try the available audio settings in the FireTV and use whatever sounds the least objectionable. Then start saving for a compatible AVR.
post #1455 of 1608 Old 01-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is exactly what I am doing. Optical cable is going straight from the Fire TV to my receiver. I can't say for sure it is not true surround but it does not sound quite right to me.
you might try hdmi to the tv and use the arc, the tv might be able to do the processing.
post #1456 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

When I had my FireTV stick connected to my 2007 Toshiba DLP, it was somehow getting multi-channel audio from Netflix. WIth the Example Short 23.976, the audio test tones are only available from the 5.1 DD+ track. But for some reason I was hearing them. If I tried the same thing from my ROku I would get no audio on that TV.

LED DLP
post #1457 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I can't speak to the FireTV box, but I doubt this is possible. Try the available audio settings in the FireTV and use whatever sounds the least objectionable. Then start saving for a compatible AVR.

Just so I am clear here the Fire TV is only capable of outputting DD plus? and if that is the case older receivers cannot receive the digital stream? My confusion comes from the FAQ I read on the Dolby Lab site. Here is what I am referring to:

Is Dolby Digital Plus content backward-compatible?

Because Dolby Digital Plus is built on core Dolby Digital technologies, content
that is encoded with Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatible with the millions
of existing home theaters and playback systems worldwide equipped for
Dolby Digital playback. Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks are easily convertedto a 640 kbps Dolby Digital signal without decoding and reencoding, for
output via S/PDIF. The 640 kbps bit rate, which is higher than the standard
448 kbps used on DVDs, is fully compatible with all existing Dolby Digital
decoding products such as A/V receivers, and can provide higher-than-DVD
quality from Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks when played back through
existing systems.

The part where it says it is fully compatible with the millions of existing home theaters equipped with Dolby Digital playback is where I am confused. Isn't that what I have in the Denon 3805? Does the Fire TV do something different?
post #1458 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just did a quick test.
When listening to Prime Music my Fire TV outputs PCM.
When watching Prime Video it outputs DD+.
So it is not ONLY capable of outputting DD+.
Hooked up via HDMi to AVR.
Fire Tv audio set at Dolby Digital Plus Automatic.
post #1459 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Check the Fire TV audio settings. Sounds like you have it set at Dolby Digital Plus Off. Set it to Dolby Digital over Optical.
Is your tv ARC capable?
Tried a different optical cable?
Tried optical output from a different device? Blu ray player, PS3, etc? You may have a bad optical port on your Denon.

Last edited by Bond 007; 01-21-2015 at 07:09 AM.
post #1460 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Just so I am clear here the Fire TV is only capable of outputting DD plus? and if that is the case older receivers cannot receive the digital stream? My confusion comes from the FAQ I read on the Dolby Lab site. Here is what I am referring to:

Is Dolby Digital Plus content backward-compatible?

Because Dolby Digital Plus is built on core Dolby Digital technologies, content
that is encoded with Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatible with the millions
of existing home theaters and playback systems worldwide equipped for
Dolby Digital playback. Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks are easily convertedto a 640 kbps Dolby Digital signal without decoding and reencoding, for
output via S/PDIF. The 640 kbps bit rate, which is higher than the standard
448 kbps used on DVDs, is fully compatible with all existing Dolby Digital
decoding products such as A/V receivers, and can provide higher-than-DVD
quality from Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks when played back through
existing systems.

The part where it says it is fully compatible with the millions of existing home theaters equipped with Dolby Digital playback is where I am confused. Isn't that what I have in the Denon 3805? Does the Fire TV do something different?
I can 100% confirm that you can get Dolby Digital 5.1 over the optical output on a Firetv. In the audio settings menu of the firetv there is a setting called "Dolby Digital over Optical". Using that setting I have verified that I am getting DD 5.1 output through the optical output using Netflix, Amazon Prime video, and XBMC. I have a 10+ year old Onkyo TX-DS898 receiver that doesn't have HDMI ports and the Dobly Digital light comes and it show 5.1 on the display and I can definitely hear the 5.1 sound. Let me know if you need me to check any other settings because DD 5.1 over the optical should definitely work.

Jay
post #1461 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerndl View Post
I can 100% confirm that you can get Dolby Digital 5.1 over the optical output on a Firetv. In the audio settings menu of the firetv there is a setting called "Dolby Digital over Optical". Using that setting I have verified that I am getting DD 5.1 output through the optical output using Netflix, Amazon Prime video, and XBMC. I have a 10+ year old Onkyo TX-DS898 receiver that doesn't have HDMI ports and the Dobly Digital light comes and it show 5.1 on the display and I can definitely hear the 5.1 sound. Let me know if you need me to check any other settings because DD 5.1 over the optical should definitely work.

Jay

Your set up sounds exactly like mine. And I have definitely set the Fire TV audio setting to "Dolby Digital over Optical". Yet I cannot seem to get Dolby Digital 5.1 regardless of what I do. I have even contacted Denon and they are stumped as well. They said there are no settings on the receiver which would somehow turn off DD on an optical output and I am definitely receiving DD 5.1 from my TV and Blu Ray player so the AVR does not seem to be at fault. Is it possible the Fire TV unit could be faulty? A bad optical cable? Although regarding the latter I am receiving PCM so I doubt the cable is at fault. Was really hoping there was a simple setting I was missing. My setup is a real PITA when it comes to getting back there and switching cables and outputs.

Last edited by gtcharlie; 01-21-2015 at 07:15 AM. Reason: additional information
post #1462 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Your set up sounds exactly like mine. And I have definitely set the Fire TV audio setting to "Dolby Digital over Optical". Yet I cannot seem to get Dolby Digital 5.1 regardless of what I do. I have even contacted Denon and they are stumped as well. They said there are no settings on the receiver which would somehow turn off DD on an optical output and I am definitely receiving DD 5.1 from my TV and Blu Ray player so the AVR does not seem to be at fault. Is it possible the Fire TV unit could be faulty? A bad optical cable? Although regarding the latter I am receiving PCM so I doubt the cable is at fault.
Answer questions in my above edited post.
post #1463 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Your set up sounds exactly like mine. And I have definitely set the Fire TV audio setting to "Dolby Digital over Optical". Yet I cannot seem to get Dolby Digital 5.1 regardless of what I do. I have even contacted Denon and they are stumped as well. They said there are no settings on the receiver which would somehow turn off DD on an optical output and I am definitely receiving DD 5.1 from my TV and Blu Ray player so the AVR does not seem to be at fault. Is it possible the Fire TV unit could be faulty? A bad optical cable? Although regarding the latter I am receiving PCM so I doubt the cable is at fault.
One other item to note. Apparently the Firetv is not capable of sending regular DD 5.1 over the HDMI. When using HDMI only DD plus is sent. So if you are using a HDMI to optical converter it will not work because the optical cannot do DD plus. I ran into this issue with a Tivo Mini which doesn't have an optical out. I couldn't get the HDMI to optical converter to work because Netflix on the mini only sent DD plus over the HDMI. This is why I use the firetv for Netflix instead of the mini because it has DD 5.1 over the optical.

Jay
post #1464 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerndl View Post
One other item to note. Apparently the Firetv is not capable of sending regular DD 5.1 over the HDMI. When using HDMI only DD plus is sent. So if you are using a HDMI to optical converter it will not work because the optical cannot do DD plus. I ran into this issue with a Tivo Mini which doesn't have an optical out. I couldn't get the HDMI to optical converter to work because Netflix on the mini only sent DD plus over the HDMI. This is why I use the firetv for Netflix instead of the mini because it has DD 5.1 over the optical.

Jay

Thanks. In my case I am using optical straight to the AVR.
post #1465 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Guess that is the next step if there are no setting left to change. Denon was skeptical it was the port due to the fact I was receiving PCM and felt the same about the cable but agreed that if nothing else worked it was worth trying.
post #1466 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Guess that is the next step if there are no setting left to change. Denon was skeptical it was the port due to the fact I was receiving PCM and felt the same about the cable but agreed that if nothing else worked it was worth trying.
That's not answering all the question. Not even sure what you're talking about. There were several suggestions there.
post #1467 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
That's not answering all the question. Not even sure what you're talking about. There were several suggestions there.

Sorry-- for some reason when I try and respond using multi-quote on the forum nothing happens. I went back and looked at all your question. Not sure about ARC capability but can check when I get home. Definitely have the Fire TV set to output DD over optical. And checking on different ports is the next option I guess. As I stated in another post I am definitely receiving DD 5.1 from my TV and Blu-Ray player so I can try one of those ports and see if it makes a difference. My reference to the call to Denon was regarding there doubting it was the port since I was receiving PCM when connected to it.
post #1468 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sorry-- for some reason when I try and respond using multi-quote on the forum nothing happens. I went back and looked at all your question. Not sure about ARC capability but can check when I get home. Definitely have the Fire TV set to output DD over optical. And checking on different ports is the next option I guess. As I stated in another post I am definitely receiving DD 5.1 from my TV and Blu-Ray player so I can try one of those ports and see if it makes a difference. My reference to the call to Denon was regarding there doubting it was the port since I was receiving PCM when connected to it.
OK. If you try a port and cable combo that is confirmed to be working that will tell you a lot.
post #1469 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Definitely have the Fire TV set to output DD over optical. And checking on different ports is the next option I guess. As I stated in another post I am definitely receiving DD 5.1 from my TV and Blu-Ray player so I can try one of those ports and see if it makes a difference. My reference to the call to Denon was regarding there doubting it was the port since I was receiving PCM when connected to it.
I think you should be talking to Amazon. Unless your TV is capable of receiving DD 5.1 over HDMI, I don't expect the FireTV to be able to output 5.1 over optical (while sending 2-ch to the TV). In that scenario, you're asking the FireTV to send 2 different types audio at the same time. Many TVs are able to accept 5.1 over HDMI, many are not.
post #1470 of 1608 Old 01-21-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I think you should be talking to Amazon. Unless your TV is capable of receiving DD 5.1 over HDMI, I don't expect the FireTV to be able to output 5.1 over optical (while sending 2-ch to the TV). In that scenario, you're asking the FireTV to send 2 different types audio at the same time. Many TVs are able to accept 5.1 over HDMI, many are not.

So I understand what you are saying regardless of whether my AVR was capable of receiving DD plus signals if I had the Fire TV hooked up the way I do right now I would still not be able to get better than a stereo signal? In my setup the TV is the weak link so to speak? I will check my TV to see if it does indeed do 5.1 over HDMI and perhaps there is a setting there I can change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page