*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread - Page 52 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
post #1531 of 1561 Old 03-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post
I got Kodi installed on my fire tv but a few questions

first the app seems to be off screen the time is cut off and the bottom as well etc.

2nd is i have no idea how to install the things i want, i got add on installer on

I see some of the add ons i want but not all of them, i was interested in putting SportsDevil on i dont see that anywhere and not sure how to install it my self, i want an add on for live ppv suchs ufc and wwe

so can anyone walk me through how to do that and install other add ons i dont exactly see, please play dumb with me because i have no clue about any of this as im just dipping my feet in
Do a Google search for 'Super Repo'.
To get the really good add-ons, you'll have to add on repositories such as Super Repo.
Fusion is another good repository.
In terms of your first question, make sure the TV aspect is set right.
Change the TV aspect until everything fits on the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1561 Old 03-05-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone notice there unit has micro lag/stutter on the home screen? It was butter smooth then suddenly it seems slightly bogged down. The last thing I did was link Kodi's download path to the units download folder, but I never actually downloaded any content. Knowingly...
I have nothing else sideloaded. I'm not rooted.

is there a way to reset the device without wiping it? Like a soft reset or something?
post #1533 of 1561 Old 03-05-2015, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Careful with root on this device and make sure it's on the correct OS version before proceeding. One of the latest updates made rooting extremely difficult and will actually blow a fuse leaving you with a nice paperweight.

S5 tap'n
post #1534 of 1561 Old 03-11-2015, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
so do I need to make sure I get a FTV that is actually rootable so I can put Kodi on it or will anyone do? I have read some of the newer ones are harder to root. Where can I buy one that will let me put Kodi on it and be able to Sideload APKs? Does it matter where I buy it?
post #1535 of 1561 Old 03-12-2015, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsd View Post
so do I need to make sure I get a FTV that is actually rootable so I can put Kodi on it or will anyone do? I have read some of the newer ones are harder to root. Where can I buy one that will let me put Kodi on it and be able to Sideload APKs? Does it matter where I buy it?
You don't have to root the FTV to be able to put Kodi on it. I am running Kodi fine without rooting it. Take a look at the Kodi/FTV wiki.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | BenQ W1070 Projector w/ Silver Ticket 120" Screen & Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #1536 of 1561 Old 03-13-2015, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping somebody can help me here. I just recently got a fire tv and installed kodi and all is great except when playing videos from my server. I get a lot of studdering and dropped frames while using xbmc, when I streamed them using my wdtv they were nice and smooth with no studdering. I have been scouring the internet for a fix but have not had any luck thus far, hopefully someone will have some input on how to correct this.
Couple of other question;
How do I get on screen diagnostics to show using the fire tv?
How do I get to the audio settings on kodi? There isn't an option in the system settings for it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated guy, thanks.
post #1537 of 1561 Old 03-13-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ311 View Post
I'm hoping somebody can help me here. I just recently got a fire tv and installed kodi and all is great except when playing videos from my server. I get a lot of studdering and dropped frames while using xbmc, when I streamed them using my wdtv they were nice and smooth with no studdering. I have been scouring the internet for a fix but have not had any luck thus far, hopefully someone will have some input on how to correct this.
Couple of other question;
How do I get on screen diagnostics to show using the fire tv?
How do I get to the audio settings on kodi? There isn't an option in the system settings for it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated guy, thanks.
Are the files with the stuttering VC1 encoded files? I know the FireTV doesn't handle those well. Examples would be movies like Batman Begins, 300, etc.
post #1538 of 1561 Old 03-13-2015, 07:12 AM

No they are not its various files, seems to be related to my audio if that makes any sense.
post #1539 of 1561 Old 03-13-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No they are not its various files, seems to be related to my audio if that makes any sense.
Make sure you have your settings level set to "Expert" in order to have access to all of the audio and video settings.
post #1540 of 1561 Old 03-13-2015, 07:34 AM

Yes I have done that as well and set it to enable pass through as I have it connected via hdmi to an Onkyo tx-sr705. From what I have read this is the best setting. When I turn this on or off and then go back to the show or movie I am watching I get major studder.
Now I managed to get the on screen diagnostics up and it is not showing that I am getting any dropped or skipped frames. I bought this was the reason for the flickering/ studdering but now I'm assuming it isn't. Why would it be that my wdtv plays these videos much smoother.

Also under the system audio settings the audio output device is greyed out and listed as android,audiotrack, is this normal?
post #1541 of 1561 Old 03-13-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes I have done that as well and set it to enable pass through as I have it connected via hdmi to an Onkyo tx-sr705. From what I have read this is the best setting. When I turn this on or off and then go back to the show or movie I am watching I get major studder.
Now I managed to get the on screen diagnostics up and it is not showing that I am getting any dropped or skipped frames. I bought this was the reason for the flickering/ studdering but now I'm assuming it isn't. Why would it be that my wdtv plays these videos much smoother.

Also under the system audio settings the audio output device is greyed out and listed as android,audiotrack, is this normal?
Are you using software or hardware acceleration under video playback settings?

Your receiver is capable of HD audio codecs but the FireTV is not. It will play the core DD and DTS only. I don't have mine in front of me to tell you what I have everything set to but I would check into those video playback settings for sure.
post #1542 of 1561 Old 03-13-2015, 07:52 AM

I have both libstagefright and mediacodec turned on for hardware acceleration. I get a smoother picture with both turned on then I do with just one of them such as libstagefrigh as most sites have recommended.
So I should enable the pass through of the audio if the fire tv cannot process it correct? From all the sites I've read this appears to be the proper setting for a connection to this receiver.
Curious as to why my audio out put device is set to android,audiotrack and will not let me change it to something like HDMI.
Appreciate the help.
post #1543 of 1561 Old 03-13-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have both libstagefright and mediacodec turned on for hardware acceleration. I get a smoother picture with both turned on then I do with just one of them such as libstagefrigh as most sites have recommended.
So I should enable the pass through of the audio if the fire tv cannot process it correct? From all the sites I've read this appears to be the proper setting for a connection to this receiver.
Curious as to why my audio out put device is set to android,audiotrack and will not let me change it to something like HDMI.
Appreciate the help.
Maybe there is some sort of HDMI handshake issue going on. I have had weird issues crop up if I did not turn things on in a certain order. The way I currently do it is TV, Receiver, then FireTV or whatever source I'm using.
post #1544 of 1561 Old 03-13-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
Anyone notice there unit has micro lag/stutter on the home screen? It was butter smooth then suddenly it seems slightly bogged down. The last thing I did was link Kodi's download path to the units download folder, but I never actually downloaded any content. Knowingly...
I have nothing else sideloaded. I'm not rooted.

is there a way to reset the device without wiping it? Like a soft reset or something?

Safe to say this is not common since no one replied?

the unit was smooth as butter for a good week, then suddenly it started to load even menu items slower.
post #1545 of 1561 Old 03-14-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I find that I factory reset my Fire TV at least every 3 months when it starts to lag and when I am watching Prime content it suddenly kicks me out of what I am watching. Netflix starts to freeze frame then speed up. I notice this more when I start to sideload apps so now since I reset it last month I didn't sideload anything.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1546 of 1561 Old 03-14-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I find that I factory reset my Fire TV at least every 3 months when it starts to lag and when I am watching Prime content it suddenly kicks me out of what I am watching. Netflix starts to freeze frame then speed up. I notice this more when I start to sideload apps so now since I reset it last month I didn't sideload anything.
I didn't want to have to setup Kodi again. :/. Lol. I've never used it before, i don't have the setup process (getting all the addons/repositories) down to memory. That's all I've sideloaded though. :S
post #1547 of 1561 Old 03-20-2015, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fire TV shutters watching sports. I am on my second Fire TV because of this issue. Have the Fire TV hooked up to Panasonic plasma via Wifi ASUS dual band router 5hrz. Watching sports via SlingTV and watchESPN. This does not happen on my appleTv while watching watchESPN. Is this a known problem with Fire TV? Or is there a fix?
post #1548 of 1561 Old 03-20-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

My Fire TV shutters well freezes for a few seconds more with Netflix. I already factory reset this thing 3 times already since owning it. I also deleted the app a bunch of times and reinstalled it and rebooted at least every day. I still use it though because most of the time Netflix starts out in HD and not mud like the PS4 which although does not shutters it is the most unreliable of the devices.

Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1549 of 1561 Old 03-20-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

My brother-in-law discovered the FireTV a few months ago and quickly installed Kodi on it. He really likes it but is looking for something more like a pure Android experience. He described it as a "tablet in a box" experience. There are lots of "go" apps from different networks that stream their programming on demand such as USTVVOD. He tried installing Android X86 on a laptop but the performance was less than hoped for. Any suggestions on a purely Android replacement for the FireTV?
post #1550 of 1561 Old 03-20-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW78Westy View Post
Fire TV shutters watching sports. I am on my second Fire TV because of this issue. Have the Fire TV hooked up to Panasonic plasma via Wifi ASUS dual band router 5hrz. Watching sports via SlingTV and watchESPN. This does not happen on my appleTv while watching watchESPN. Is this a known problem with Fire TV? Or is there a fix?
Just wanted to report I notice the same thing watching ESPN via Sling TV or anything with a scrolling ticker.

The same content is butter smooth on my Roku.
post #1551 of 1561 Old 03-24-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

External storage is available with the latest update.
http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-annou...menu-and-more/
I still did not get the update pushed to me though. When I do I can finally download many games I got for free but did not install due to lack of storage onto the flash drive which I had connected already for a while but is not being used.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1552 of 1561 Old 03-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
External storage is available with the latest update.
http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-annou...menu-and-more/
I still did not get the update pushed to me though. When I do I can finally download many games I got for free but did not install due to lack of storage onto the flash drive which I had connected already for a while but is not being used.
Yeah looking forward to this. I'll wait for reviews to see what is the best external storage. I'm thinking of getting a large USB flash drive for the games and apps that I haven't been able to store locally.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #1553 of 1561 Old 03-27-2015, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wonder if the storage will be available to apps such as Kodi. I can't test as the updated isn't available to me yet, checked this morning, so if anyone has been updated and is running Kodi can you please chime in?
post #1554 of 1561 Old 03-27-2015, 11:15 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
Wonder if the storage will be available to apps such as Kodi. I can't test as the updated isn't available to me yet, checked this morning, so if anyone has been updated and is running Kodi can you please chime in?
http://www.aftvnews.com/kodi-fully-c...d-usb-storage/
luisev likes this.
post #1555 of 1561 Old 03-27-2015, 11:47 AM

Great, thanks for that link!
post #1556 of 1561 Old 03-27-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone downloaded Kodi on the Fire TV without sideloading it. I downloaded it from the Amazon site which showed it not comparable but someone said to ignore that and it would show up? Well on both of my Fire TV's one with the newest update nothing showed up even after refreshed purchased content and rebooting both devices. If I have to still sideload it and go through a million menu's to get to it then I will forget about it.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1557 of 1561 Old 03-27-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 86
It doesn't show up if you don't sideload it. You have to sideload it first, then "buy" it from Amazon on a web browser, then go to my account in your FTV, and Sync Amazon content. Then you reboot your FTV and it should show up in your recent apps.
It is showing up in my FTV stick.
post #1558 of 1561 Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread

Tonight, my fire tv stick stopped outputting sounds when playing only Amazon Prime content. Netflix and other apps work fine. I have tried all Dolby digital options with no luck. What could be wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1559 of 1561 Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
It doesn't show up if you don't sideload it. You have to sideload it first, then "buy" it from Amazon on a web browser, then go to my account in your FTV, and Sync Amazon content. Then you reboot your FTV and it should show up in your recent apps.
It is showing up in my FTV stick.
Did not work. I sideloaded it and went to the Amazon site to purchase the free app, synced the FTV and it still did not show up in my apps screen. Of course it is there if I still go though the million sub menu's to get to it.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1560 of 1561 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

I used Method 2 with Llama redirect from the guide below as well as ADB Fire to set things up. Was rather painless and quick:

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-launc...tv-homescreen/

http://www.jocala.com/adbfire.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming