*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #1591 of 1608 Old 07-09-2015, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
I saw talk about this a while back in the thread, but didn't see any solution...

With my Fire TV box, using Kodi and/or SPMC, I get Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS, as well as stereo via Optical cable to my old Pioneer Elite VSX-21. (set Kodi/SPMC for pass through).

However when watching Netflix, Amazon Instant video, or Plex, I get just stereo. (receive has the Pro Logic led lit). Adjusting the sound settings in the Fire TV's menu (Dolby Digital Plus Auto, DDP HDMI, etc) doesn't have an impact.

Is there any fix to that? Or am I stuck until I buy a newer receiver?
Well, its seems that the v51.1.6.0 update fixed this..

Last night, playing a movie via Amazon Instant, I noticed Dolby Digital led on the receiver along with icons for each speaker.. Same with Netflix.

Plex however gives me no audio via Optical when playing local movies from my server, but did give me stereo audio when playing a TV show via CBS channel in Plex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1608 Old 07-12-2015, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Slingplayer on Fire TV

Anyone having much luck with the Slingplayer app on a Fire TV? I am having problems getting it to play in High Quality video. It will do it sometimes, but not often. I also have Slingplayer on a four year old iPod Touch and it works great with my Apple TV using Airplay.
post #1593 of 1608 Old 07-12-2015, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Anyone having much luck with the Slingplayer app on a Fire TV? I am having problems getting it to play in High Quality video. It will do it sometimes, but not often. I also have Slingplayer on a four year old iPod Touch and it works great with my Apple TV using Airplay.
While the app has its flaws, the video is always pretty darn nice on my Fire TV and stick.

Main: Mitsubishi 73734 DLP|Amazon Fire TV|Toshiba HD DVD-A35|Panasonic BD65|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 DIY Class 'G' 540w 12" Subs|APC H15|Harmony 720 Remote|Linksys E3000 Dual Band N-Router|Linksys SE2500 Ethernet Switch

MBR: Vizio VF550M|Roku 2XS|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PureAV PF30|Harmony 550 Remote
post #1594 of 1608 Old 07-12-2015, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
The slingplayer implementation on my fire tv stick has been the best I have had, having tried a boxee box and a wdtv as well. The boxee box had good picture but had weird crackly audio. The wdtv had audio that would go out of sync after a while of watching. The Fire Tv stick just works. No issues, good picture. No complaints. could be your connection speed? Maybe you need to manually set the quality instead of automatic?
post #1595 of 1608 Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsdsmith View Post
The slingplayer implementation on my fire tv stick has been the best I have had, having tried a boxee box and a wdtv as well. The boxee box had good picture but had weird crackly audio. The wdtv had audio that would go out of sync after a while of watching. The Fire Tv stick just works. No issues, good picture. No complaints. could be your connection speed? Maybe you need to manually set the quality instead of automatic?
I don't think it's the connection speed (60 m) because I can switch to the Apple TV and it works fine. I don't think it is the Fire TV either. Could be the app. I have tried to manually set the speed. Usually it will only work in Basic mode, but sometimes it works at any setting.
post #1596 of 1608 Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Two sticks interrupting each other.

Has anyone had any issues with 2 fire TV sticks seemingly fighting one another? I have two in my home, both are linked to the same amazon account. The remotes are paired correctly with only one device. In fact I have two wifi routers in my home set up as seperate access points. One stick is on one, the second on the other. Anway, I'll be in the living room watching Fox Sports Go or something and then my wife will start watching Netflix on her TV and all of a sudden Netflix will launch on the stick I'm watching.

Any ideas on what's going on or how to fix it? Thanks!
post #1597 of 1608 Old 07-17-2015, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Crackle on Fire TV

Crackle recently introduced a new interface on Roku players that is absolutely horrible! I'm sure some software genius at Crackle thought it was an improvement, but I, and others, think its unusable. See this reddit discussion, for example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/commen...rible_crackle/

How is the Crackle app on Fire TV? For example, can you easily select specific episodes of "Comedian In Cars Getting Coffee"? Is there a show on "autoplay" when you start the app?
post #1598 of 1608 Old 07-18-2015, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 74
For the Fire TV crowd. I just got one for $25 via the Prime sale. Have not had time to open it yet. I saw something about Kodi support being very recently pulled/disabled. Is this true or can I still install Kodi on it?

Thanks
post #1599 of 1608 Old 07-18-2015, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Great price and yes, Kodi works perfectly on the Fire TV. You just need to side load it and no, it doesn't need to be rooted. Just download and run adbFire to install Kodi. I use llama to create a shortcut on the home screen. Takes a few mins tops.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Fire_TV

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-sho...mazon-fire-tv/

B&W 804 and HTM | Emotiva ERD-1 | HSU VTF-15H
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Amazon Fire TV with XMBC | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
Mogami and Blue Jeans Cables
ATS and DIY Acoustic Panels
post #1600 of 1608 Old 07-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
Great price and yes, Kodi works perfectly on the Fire TV. You just need to side load it and no, it doesn't need to be rooted. Just download and run adbFire to install Kodi. I use llama to create a shortcut on the home screen. Takes a few mins tops.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Fire_TV

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-sho...mazon-fire-tv/
Thanks. Going on vacation for a week. Will try it when I get back
luisev likes this.
post #1601 of 1608 Old 07-22-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 1109
Just got a system update. Anyone know what it did?
Version 51.1.6.1_user_516010220
post #1602 of 1608 Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Anyone notice on the Fire TV that it no longer tells you if a show is in HD or not. It still plays shows that are in HD though as I tried a purchased movie and the TV show Grimm which still plays in HD even though the HD logo is gone now.
Also even on the Amazon site it no longer shows HD on my Watchlist.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43_2 (Merlin Fork) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1603 of 1608 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I still get the HD/ HD1080p indicator on my Fire TV and Fire sticks. Watched HUMANS (not prime) last night, still showed up.
post #1604 of 1608 Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not talking about the indicator. I still get 1080p. I am talking about this. Screenshot from Amazon's Watchlist page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-24_141438.png
Views:	38
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	847426  

Cats are the best pets.
post #1605 of 1608 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Just got a system update. Anyone know what it did?
Version 51.1.6.1_user_516010220
http://www.aftvnews.com/another-new-...-and-54-1-2-1/
post #1606 of 1608 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I am not talking about the indicator. I still get 1080p. I am talking about this. Screenshot from Amazon's Watchlist page.
The "HD" banner that used to be in the left corner? I haven't seen them in a while.
post #1607 of 1608 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
The "HD" banner that used to be in the left corner? I haven't seen them in a while.
I have not seem then since yesterday. I hope they don't get rid of it. They did this with the Netflix site which is terrible as you don't even know if a program is in HD or not. At least the Netflix app still tells you. However Amazon on all devices don't show the HD logo on anything anymore.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1608 of 1608 Old Today, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

So I finally got the FireTV installed. Seems pretty decent. Got Kodi running. Still messing around with it to see what I can do with it.

On the negative side the reports I've seen of CEC working doesn't hold true in my case. Ut shows up as a device but does not do anything. Bummer on that.

One cool thing I see is it has a Spotify Connect app. My AVR already has built in support for Connect but this would be a very easy way to add it to a system that doesn't support it.

Between my SmartTv, AVR and Chromecast I have plenty of ways to stream what I need. Not sure yet if the FTV will serve a purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming