*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #1711 of 1830 Old 02-21-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I got the update but use the fire tv remote, so I can't answer that.

I did notice if watch a tv series it loads the next episode after the last one ends. Ya, it's always done that but, when the next show loads it plays 5.1. Now I stopped the episode halfway threw and switch over to cable tv to watch my shows. When they were done I went back to the fire tv and continued to finish watch the tv series where it left off and was now only in 2 speaker stereo. When the next episode started it went back to 5.1. Never had this issue before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1830 Old 02-22-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Guys,
The latest 4K FIRE is on sale. Are we still able to sideload KODI on this model?

Thanks in advance

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #1713 of 1830 Old 02-22-2016, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Guys,

The latest 4K FIRE is on sale. Are we still able to sideload KODI on this model?

Thanks in advance

Yes you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1714 of 1830 Old 02-22-2016, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
Wow, not much activity in this thread, but I'll ask anyway. I have been controlling my FTV (1st gen) with an Ortek IR remote via USB dongle and it's worked great - until this morning. My FTV updated itself to OS5 and now the IR remote no longer works. Anyone else using IR and had the update happen?

I'm using IR via a FLIRC and Harmony Touch. I've now had the update. It still works, however, the first time I use it in a viewing session, I get a message saying that I am not using an Amazon remote or game controller, and would I like to continue. Once I click 'OK' everything works fine.
post #1715 of 1830 Old 02-23-2016, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'm using IR via a FLIRC and Harmony Touch. I've now had the update. It still works, however, the first time I use it in a viewing session, I get a message saying that I am not using an Amazon remote or game controller, and would I like to continue. Once I click 'OK' everything works fine.
Thanks for the confirmation - someone in a different forum suggested FLIRC but didn't say for sure if it is working post-update. If it is I guess I will have to drop another $20 or whatever.

Quick question about FLIRC - do you use some kind of USB extension cable so the FLIRC can be mounted where it can see the remote signal?

The warning about missing remote - I get that also on several apps. Annoying but not a big deal. Less annoying than having to use multiple remotes!

Last edited by bswiz; 02-23-2016 at 07:27 AM.
post #1716 of 1830 Old 02-23-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post

Quick question about FLIRC - do you use some kind of USB extension cable so the FLIRC can be mounted where it can see the remote signal?

Yes I bought this 25cm USB extension cable and brought it around the side so that it is front facing. The length will depend on your place of situ for your AFTV.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o06_s00
post #1717 of 1830 Old 02-23-2016, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Yes I bought this 25cm USB extension cable and brought it around the side so that it is front facing. The length will depend on your place of situ for your AFTV.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o06_s00
Great, thanks again. I just called Amazon support to ask if they knew why my current IR remote didn't work after the upgrade. Worth a shot before I have to spend more money for a FLIRC! The guy seemed to understand what I was asking but couldn't explain why the update would break it. He was going to look into it more and get back me.
post #1718 of 1830 Old 03-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Amazon Fire TV

I found out that Sony PSP Vue went nationwide. I want an Amazon Fire TV box and will likely want to add Kodi, too. Where are the best places, online or brick and mortar stores, to get it? Also, how difficult is it to add Kodi? Should I just buy it from somewhere already installed?
post #1719 of 1830 Old 03-21-2016, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Last night I tried Amazon Fire TV. I ordered Sony Vue's trial and also Sling TV's trial.

Video:
I sampled The Walking Dead, which is a very good show to see what the video quality is really like. The grainy, film-like picture of The Walking Dead wreaks havoc upon video codecs and only pure bit-rate will make it look good. Sling-TV had the superior picture by a decent margin, showing more grain, however NEITHER service comes even close to the amount of grain that Cable-TV provides on The Walking Dead picture. Neither service provides even the quality of Netflix or Amazon streaming, although it's in the ballpark.

Audio:
Neither Sony Vue or Sling TV output a 5.1 digital audio format. That is a BIG problem with me. Compressed, marginal 2.0 stereo when matrix decoded into surround sounds really bad to me and once again, this offering is inferior to the cable television in my area as I get the vast majority of channels in 5.1 Dolby Digital. Netflix, although it gives what sounds like an inferior bitrate to the sound at least does Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 audio.

I have never been able to get Netflix to give an answer as to what bitrate their DD+ 5.1 audio is, but my best guess is a pathetic 192kb/sec. It sounds "ok", but still not as robust/full as even cable TV's 384 kb/sec. I know Dolby "claims" 192kb/sec is "equivalent" to 384 kb/sec, but in my own personal evaluation, it's not quite as "full" sounding, especially when all channels are active with a loud dynamic passage.

Digital streaming still has a ways to go to deliver "cable equivalent" quality both on video and audio. Netflix and Amazon at least "try" to give you decent quality as a minimum standard.

Sony's Vue has a great concept with realtime DVR capability. However, the picture & sound quality are just not where it should be. "Most" people probably wouldn't care, but it looks like a mid-quality 720p picture to my eyes with a slightly washed out contrast appearance. It's not "sharp" to my eyes.

It could be "placebo", but IMO, my Sony Blu-Ray player's video on Netflix I'd almost swear looks like it has better contrast than the Fire TV (it seems like there is less shadow definition, like someone slightly turned up the contrast). It's 'very minor' and again, it could just be my imagination as I cannot pause it and compare both back to back quickly.

I hope this helps people make a decision and fully informs the public about these services. IMO, MOST PEOPLE will NOT CARE about what seems like a minor loss of picture quality and I've noticed that the vast majority of people don't care about sound quality for television at home. So, if you just plan on watching shows on a 50" TV from 10 feet away on standard TV speakers or consumer level sound system, then this service will do just fine. However, for hardcore hardware enthusiasts, you WILL notice a quality difference for both sound and picture quality compared to digital cable TV or digital satellite TV.

I will be returning the Fire TV device as it's my opinion that these cable-tv services are NOT ready for prime time. They are lacking a whole level of quality that "MATTERS". I consider cable-TV, Netflix and Amzaon to be a "bare minimum" quality standard that should be on these services.

Last edited by Timothy91; 03-21-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #1720 of 1830 Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4085 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
The Netflix DD+ bitrate doesn't give you better quality than Dolby Digital. Just equivalent quality with a lower bitrate.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1721 of 1830 Old 03-21-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Netflix DD+ bitrate doesn't give you better quality than Dolby Digital. Just equivalent quality with a lower bitrate.
aaronwt, it's my opinion that that 192kb/sec isn't quite as "equivalent" as Dolby claims, especially when there are loud moments occurring. I would rather have 384 kb/sec with the old Dolby Digital format, than 192kb/sec with the new format. I would think a "real equivalent" quality would be realistically 320kb/sec with DD+. The minimum standard should be 384kb/sec. Even bumping it up to 256kb/sec would be an improvement.
post #1722 of 1830 Old 03-21-2016, 09:03 AM
FX4

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I wouldn't argue that picture quality is better on Sling, in general it is, but it's not because Sling has better technology. Sling uses fairly granular stepping and hangs onto the picture quality longer than Vue. Vue uses a very fast adaptive bit rate codec that adjusts constantly, you drop a packet and it ratchets back quickly. Sling will hang onto a bitrate until you see a visible hit in the picture and is very slow to step back up. The codec on Vue does produce a slightly softer picture but they both like to operate a right around 3.7Mbps with a 720P picture which is a fairly high quality picture. IMO on par with cable.
post #1723 of 1830 Old 03-21-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
I wouldn't argue that picture quality is better on Sling, in general it is, but it's not because Sling has better technology. Sling uses fairly granular stepping and hangs onto the picture quality longer than Vue. Vue uses a very fast adaptive bit rate codec that adjusts constantly, you drop a packet and it ratchets back quickly. Sling will hang onto a bitrate until you see a visible hit in the picture and is very slow to step back up. The codec on Vue does produce a slightly softer picture but they both like to operate a right around 3.7Mbps with a 720P picture which is a fairly high quality picture. IMO on par with cable.
Sorry, it's not on par with cable. A great comparison is The Walking Dead, which has film grain. Cable TV at 720p on AMC still maintains film grain and I can attest based on my tinkering with encoding videos that it takes a bit rate of AT LEAST 9mbps to maintain any kind of good film grain with The Walking Dead Blu-rays at 720p. That means cable-TV is running AT LEAST 2.5 times the bitrate of Sling or Vue. That's not "on par". That's a quantum leap of video quality difference. The picture on both Sling and Vue are "softer" looking. Visibly obvious too. Cable-TV simply has a better picture. Netflix has a 6mbps picture at 1080p with a modern codec and looks fantastic on pure digital video. Amazon sometimes uses 10mbps on their 1080p videos and they also look great.

Vue and Sling ARE NOT "on par" with cable TV. Not even close. Visibly inferior on any large television 55"+ at viewing distances that allow for seeing 1080p detail. Try watching The Walking Dead on Vue. It's blotchy and washed out. With Sling, you still see blotchy patches with a 'little' grain, but it too is hopelessly low quality. Cable-TV runs Walking Dead at 720p and it looks very good. Only minor imperfections and the film grain is visible AS INTENDED by the producer/director. That makes a difference and it's one of the most famous TV shows and also one of the most demanding for encoders when it comes to producing the intended picture. That's why I keep going back to it as a benchmark.

Last edited by Timothy91; 03-21-2016 at 09:37 AM.
post #1724 of 1830 Old 03-21-2016, 10:06 AM
FX4

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Netflix is a completely different discussion and is ahead these guys in every way. Netflix runs up to 16Mbps for 4k. But cable TV, not particularly in my experience. Maybe picture quality has improved since I dropped cable but I can tell you poor picture quality is in part why I canned cable. The OTA 1080i and 720P picture is superior, but at any rate I'm guessing you have something in your chain causing PlayStation Vue to ratchet back a little on picture quality. At it's best it matches the picture quality of Sling. It is quick to ratchet the picture quality back and does so in small steps quickly. I notice when there is a lot of traffic in my neighborhood the picture on Vue gets a bit soft.
post #1725 of 1830 Old 03-21-2016, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a Fire TV 1st gen that is not powering on anymore. No video on the screen, and no lights anymore. I unplugged it for a few mins, no help. I had kodi sideloaded it on it but it was not rooted. The power cable looks good to me (visually). I am wondering if Amazon bricked it with an update. I called Amazon and it's out of warranty and they won't replace it.

Is there anything I could try to fix it?

BenQ W1070/Silver Ticket 120"/Denon X4200W/Infinity Primus | Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon X3200W/Infinity Primus | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #1726 of 1830 Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
I have a Fire TV 1st gen that is not powering on anymore. No video on the screen, and no lights anymore. I unplugged it for a few mins, no help. I had kodi sideloaded it on it but it was not rooted. The power cable looks good to me (visually). I am wondering if Amazon bricked it with an update. I called Amazon and it's out of warranty and they won't replace it.

Is there anything I could try to fix it?
Use a voltmeter to verify that your power supply is actually working. If it is, the only other thing you can try would be a hard reset with the remote (press RIGHT and BACK buttons together for 10S according to manual) but if you don't have a power light you're probably out of luck. sorry.
wkearney99 and bigcat like this.
post #1727 of 1830 Old 03-22-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I found out that Sony PSP Vue went nationwide. I want an Amazon Fire TV box and will likely want to add Kodi, too. Where are the best places, online or brick and mortar stores, to get it? Also, how difficult is it to add Kodi? Should I just buy it from somewhere already installed?
If you have an android phone, then get AGK Fire from the Amazon App store. Makes sideloading APK's a snap.
post #1728 of 1830 Old 03-23-2016, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a couple of issues on my FireTV gen two and was wondering if anyone has had the same:

1 - Ripper Street on both Netflix and Amazon Prime has horrible dialogue clipping that doesn't seem to be there when I watch on PC.
2 - House of Cards in 4K periodically (once or twice per episode) seems to drop down to half frame-rate for 10-20 seconds.

Very specific, I know, but thought I'd ask anyway.
post #1729 of 1830 Old 03-25-2016, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Has anybody seen an Error Code: 400-1 when trying to use an app on Amazon Fire TV? I am connected through DirecTV and for some reason I can't see any of the content and keep getting that error. I have deleted the application, signed out/sign back on, rebooted Fire TV and still get the same error. This only happens on the Disney owned apps (Disney XD and Disney Jr).

Any ideas?
post #1730 of 1830 Old 04-04-2016, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi All.
I have a wierd issue with my AFTV

If it turn off the TV it stops the audio and the youtube app will "crash". i put that in inverted commas as it is a strange sort of crash. the app still functions and will browse the subscriptions/channels ect but will not load the video - i just get the spinning dots. Only a full restart of the device fixes it
Have reset to factory defaults and deleted the apps.
Thinking it is connected to the TV in some way as if i put a HDMI switcher in between, it doesnt happen. I have no option on my Samsung TV to disable CEC as it does not support it (confirmed with Samsung).

Gen 1 AFTV - latest OS
Sound - Optical out to Samsung Soundbar
Video - HDMI to Samsung LT31D

If anyone has any ideas, i'd be grateful. Happy to supply any info that may be usefull.

Cheers

Rob
post #1731 of 1830 Old 04-04-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mason 82 View Post
Hi All.
I have a wierd issue with my AFTV

If it turn off the TV it stops the audio and the youtube app will "crash". i put that in inverted commas as it is a strange sort of crash. the app still functions and will browse the subscriptions/channels ect but will not load the video - i just get the spinning dots. Only a full restart of the device fixes it
In my experience its always bad to shut things off while its actually streaming in an app. Some apps like you to exit out of them before shutting it off.
post #1732 of 1830 Old 04-08-2016, 07:12 AM

Liked: 13
Has anyone gotten YouTube to stream 4K? I have a Samsung TV and it's internal app has no problem streaming YouTube in 4K. The Fire TV will only do 1080P max. It will do UHD Netflix and Prime streams but it takes a bit to get to the 4K resolution. The Samsung JS8500 internal apps are much quicker to get to 4K if not instantaneous. The Fire TV is connected directly to the TV as it appears that my Yamaha RX-A3030 does not do HDCP 2.2.

"A Monsters Work is Never Done"
post #1733 of 1830 Old 04-15-2016, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I did a search in this thread for "HDR" and didn't find anything.
So anyone here with a 4K Fire AND a HDR TV?

If so, can you confirm if the Fire passes HDR?
Currently there are only two shows on Prime with HDR so can someone load up one (ex: Mozart in the Jungle) and confirm if HDR gets activated?

Are you really hearing a difference?
http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0

Set an example:
Treat everyone with kindness and respect, even those who are rude to you...
Not because they are nice, but because YOU are. :)
post #1734 of 1830 Old 04-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Fire TV is a no-go for me unless or until Amazon either joins UltraViolet or allows at least one good UV app on their platform.

Scott
post #1735 of 1830 Old 04-17-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
Fire TV is a no-go for me unless or until Amazon either joins UltraViolet or allows at least one good UV app on their platform.
I haven't looked, but I would think that Flixter, UV, or VUDU could be installed, since you can add android apps outside of Amazon Marketplace?

post #1736 of 1830 Old 04-18-2016, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
I haven't looked, but I would think that Flixter, UV, or VUDU could be installed, since you can add android apps outside of Amazon Marketplace?
Not unless you want to use a mouse.

Scott
post #1737 of 1830 Old 04-18-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
Not unless you want to use a mouse.
Why would you need a mouse? I am talking about standard android apps...and my remote works just fine to navigate.

post #1738 of 1830 Old 04-19-2016, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Why would you need a mouse? I am talking about standard android apps...and my remote works just fine to navigate.
Some standard Android apps don't work properly with the FireTV remote as its input. You need a mouse or such to control. For example,I can side load the Xfinity TVGo app, but I need a mouse and keyboard to navigate it.

I think I needed a mouse to initially navigate and sign into the Flixter app, but now that I'm signed in, I can navigate and launch movies via the Fire TV remote.
post #1739 of 1830 Old 04-19-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the clarification...

post #1740 of 1830 Old 04-21-2016, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Bought the new 4K Fire TV on sale. Hoping to make good use of it to run Kodi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page