*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #1801 of 1830 Old 07-01-2016, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Continuing: Limited DD 5.1 with Amazon Video

Whatever is going on with Amazon Video + Fire TV delivering default stereo audio on titles known to have DD 5.1 available, is not yet resolved.

This issue has proven to be server side, but added to that is a requirement (in some cases) to perform a fix to the Fire TV (detailed here: Amazon Fire TV forum, find link in previous post, if required).

And, this fix is not straightforward. The procedure (in my case) had to include _all_ optional steps, and be repeated.

So... believing that the issue was resolved, I started a trial subscription to Starz. Immediately, I find that their featured series "Outlander" is streamed with basic stereo: no Dolby, whatsoever.

Next title tried was "Ant-Man": also, only basic stereo. And, the Closed Captions/subtitles were displayed 4 seconds after the spoken audio.

Not until I streamed "Into the Woods", did I receive DD 5.1. And the subtitles were spot-on. This movie is from the same distributor as "Ant-Man", Disney Digital.

Contacted Starz. Got this response: "Hello, Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We did check the titles that you mentioned and we did send those over with surround on, so your DD 5.1 should be supported. Our team is going to reach out to Amazon regarding this issue, but I would also suggest you contact Amazon as one of their customers to let them know you are having this issue. Thank you for making us aware of this. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with. Regards, Denice"

I did contact Amazon. It is always as last resort, and just to follow protocol. The answer I received from "Raj" said "I don't understand your question", followed by the usual mal-working link to yet another (blank/generic) web-form. Filled out and sent, again.

Other than users that populate these forums, I'm coming to accept that Amazon is right in considering "surround sound" to be low priority. Probably moved to no priority, as of now. Perhaps today's audience for streaming generally uses headphones? Or, most really don't notice any difference in the audio format, as long as the picture is good?

Consider that for at least 3 weeks, people have been buying streamed content, and/or using premium add-on services (Starz, Showtime, etc.), with Amazon Video to the Fire TV... and only some(?) users have noticed the lack of surround sound, and a handful have posted to forums.

I'll keep at this issue. But it is ironic to view a headline about Dolby + Amazon promoting "Dolby Vision" through Amazon Video... while 15+ year old DD 5.1 continues to break without much comment.

Walker (in Virginia)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1830 Old 07-01-2016, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Issues with Starz (or any other application) wouldn't be related to the issues with Amazon Video audio - which does actually seem to be resolved. Starz is certainly going to point fingers, as will Amazon.
post #1803 of 1830 Old 07-02-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Issues with Starz (or any other application) wouldn't be related to the issues with Amazon Video audio - which does actually seem to be resolved. Starz is certainly going to point fingers, as will Amazon.
Starz does not have a separate app for Fire TV, unlike Netflix, HBO, and Tribeca. Starz and Showtime are hosted by Amazon Video and are accessed via Amazon's built-in Fire TV Video: they are Prime Add-ons and all billing is done through Amazon. Tribeca also has a standalone app for the Fire TV, for which Tribeca handles subscription and billing through their website; just adds to the confusion.

Maybe the lack of surround issue will be resolved, soon; maybe it is fixed on a per title basis on Amazon Video's servers? Whatever, trial subscriptions are free and available for Prime members. I'm just requesting that those that can access a free trial, test some titles and give feedback.

If Amazon doesn't hear some noise about this, or what they see are user posts stating "No worry, its fixed"... it probably won't be _fixed_ anytime soon.

Walker
post #1804 of 1830 Old 07-02-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSwan View Post
Starz does not have a separate app for Fire TV, unlike Netflix, HBO, and Tribeca.
If Amazon doesn't hear some noise about this, or what they see are user posts stating "No worry, its fixed"... it probably won't be _fixed_ anytime soon.

Walker
Probably not what you want to hear, but the responsibility still rests with Starz to ensure their content is streamed correctly. After all they are the ones asking for your money. Even if the issue is Amazon's fault, Starz is still in the best position to do something about it. Just call them up and tell them you won't pay for stereo audio. If they refuse to listen then don't give them your money.

There's a very clear disconnect between Amazon's phone CSRs and their tech people, don't wast your time complaining to CSRs.
post #1805 of 1830 Old 07-02-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Starz actually DOES have a Fire TV app called Starz Play, which is how I watched the first few episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead before I dumped my subscription via DirecTV and went through Amazon instead.

That app was only stereo from day one.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #1806 of 1830 Old 07-02-2016, 11:27 AM

To Bob S.: I saw your post on AFTVnews.com for the weekly podcast. It was very helpful to learn that this audio issue was server side, backed up with proof that the recent Fire TV firmware update was not the cause.

I did contact Starz support and was told they would follow up directly with Amazon. If you can currently access the Starz/Amazon Video streaming version of Outlander (series), please post the audio format received. I've still only found one title ("Into the Woods") that is 5.1 surround; everything else is default (Non-Dolby) stereo.

I keep posting in the hope that an Amazon tech gets the message to at least fix "Outlander", which is the major series that Starz promotes.

Walker
post #1807 of 1830 Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately I canceled my Starz/Amazon subscription after Ash vs Evil Dead ended. I'll restart it when that show comes back for season 2, but that won't be any help here.

post #1808 of 1830 Old 07-03-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 119
After owning the FTV2 for a several weeks now, I continue to be underwhelmed. Compared to my Roku2, the GUI is clunky, lots harder to navigate around in compared to Roku, plus they have lots more to choose from channel wise. SPMC works, but crashes fairly often, needing a restart. The remote works ok for the AFTV side, but I still find myself switching back to my trusty MCE remote for anything Kodi related (even with the AFTV keypad edits).
Had high hopes in finally finding a one box solution for Netflix, Amazon Prime & my media, but it doesn't seem to be this. I ordered a Samsung EVO sd card, going to reload SPMC onto it (have a low end Sansa card running in it now) to see if that will help any, otherwise it may get returned. This , along with Amazon's clunky way with their FW updates that break things doesn't give me high hopes.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
AFTV2+ SPMC=>SR6010=>Chane A2rx-c x 3+ DCM OW-1s x 2 +Klipch HQ-12 sub
post #1809 of 1830 Old 07-04-2016, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I've been a firetv user for a long long time, but there's one thing that really really annoys me about it.

it never goes to sleep it never turns off the display. i.e. with almost every other device that connects via hdmi (or even vga) they will turn off the video signal after some time and the TV will automatically go to sleep itself. The firetv doesn't do that, so if I forget to turn off the TV at night it will stay powered on all night (albeit dimmed). What bothers me even more about this, is that the firetv is smart enough to be able to signal the TV to turn on (and switch to its input) if the TV is off and you press a button on the remote.

has anyone else struggled with this?
post #1810 of 1830 Old 07-04-2016, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoad View Post
So I've been a firetv user for a long long time, but there's one thing that really really annoys me about it.

it never goes to sleep it never turns off the display. i.e. with almost every other device that connects via hdmi (or even vga) they will turn off the video signal after some time and the TV will automatically go to sleep itself. The firetv doesn't do that, so if I forget to turn off the TV at night it will stay powered on all night (albeit dimmed). What bothers me even more about this, is that the firetv is smart enough to be able to signal the TV to turn on (and switch to its input) if the TV is off and you press a button on the remote.

has anyone else struggled with this?
I've only noticed this issue if I leave Netflix running, the screensaver will not kick in and it will not go to sleep, the screen just dims. All other apps or home screen will kick in the screen saver and it will go to sleep sometime after this.
post #1811 of 1830 Old 07-04-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter67 View Post
I've only noticed this issue if I leave Netflix running, the screensaver will not kick in and it will not go to sleep, the screen just dims. All other apps or home screen will kick in the screen saver and it will go to sleep sometime after this.
Yep another thing that Roku does better than AFTV (Roku goes to standby without me having to do anything). You CAN drill down thru the clunky AFTV menu to Settings and click on "Sleep", each time but that sure is not intuitive (or easy). Also it runs fairly hot (first thing I did was affix some rounded rubber feet under it to lift it off the tabletop a bit for some airflow.)
Man if Roku would allow sideloading of apps, it would rule the world...

post #1812 of 1830 Old 07-04-2016, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
FWIW: If you hold the Home button down you get a few shortcut options, one is sleep, that helps get to the sleep option a little quicker. I agree that not cutting video to the TV when in sleep mode is just plain stupid, I can't believe they would not do that, it's just so common I can't understand what they are thinking.
kevin g. likes this.
post #1813 of 1830 Old 07-04-2016, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalbers View Post
FWIW: If you hold the Home button down you get a few shortcut options, one is sleep, that helps get to the sleep option a little quicker. I agree that not cutting video to the TV when in sleep mode is just plain stupid, I can't believe they would not do that, it's just so common I can't understand what they are thinking.
Thanks, I'd forgotten about that.

post #1814 of 1830 Old 07-04-2016, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
yea, I can make the firetv go to "sleep" but I consider it a fake sleep as it just sends a black screen to the TV, it doesn't actually seem to go to sleep (which would be indicated by not sending a video signal and the TV then turning off.
post #1815 of 1830 Old 07-04-2016, 10:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoad View Post
yea, I can make the firetv go to "sleep" but I consider it a fake sleep as it just sends a black screen to the TV, it doesn't actually seem to go to sleep (which would be indicated by not sending a video signal and the TV then turning off.
Its "Sleep". Not " Off". Unfortunately.
post #1816 of 1830 Old 07-05-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Regarding the remote and batteries, the remotes seem to have faulty parts that keep the remote from "waking up" or "turning on". If you look at the remote with the battery cover off, you will find a little shiny metal looking bit inside the part of the remote body that would be covered by the edge of the battery cover, where the rails from the cover slide into the tracks on the remote. That bit seems to be a sensor of some sort and it's the reason why the remote stops working, because it's got some sort of on/off switch control mechanism attached to it. I'm not sure exactly how it works or why it works that way, but you can dig up threads where people have tossed the battery cover and put something else on there with tape and it's fixed the problem.
post #1817 of 1830 Old 07-05-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganTim View Post
Does anyone know if there is a Fire TV with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, Dolby Vision/HDR 10 in the development pipe line?
Yes. MediaTek just released a tablet chipset that could be the SoC for an updated FireTV. However, it's not known whether or not Amazon wants to update their Fire TV so quickly, since the latest is not even a year old and UHDTV penetration isn't very high yet. Most likely, we'll get an update in two years and it will have the latest hardware features for UHDTV use. Right now UHDTVs have streaming covered with their own hardware, so there's no pressing need for a UHD-oriented FireTV model.
post #1818 of 1830 Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Yes. MediaTek just released a tablet chipset that could be the SoC for an updated FireTV. However, it's not known whether or not Amazon wants to update their Fire TV so quickly, since the latest is not even a year old and UHDTV penetration isn't very high yet. Most likely, we'll get an update in two years and it will have the latest hardware features for UHDTV use. Right now UHDTVs have streaming covered with their own hardware, so there's no pressing need for a UHD-oriented FireTV model.
Actually in the case of the Vizio D,E,M,P Series Tv's. They come with a Android tablet. That casts the content to the TV. Since Amazon and Android are in a bit of a tiff. There is no way to stream Amazon content to TV with out Amazon Hardware. Since the 2nd Gen Fire TV is Hdmi 1.4a. I suspect I won't be able to get Amazon content in a 4k Dolby Vision UHD format.
post #1819 of 1830 Old 07-08-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Ordered one of these today, going to give it a shot with the AFTV2 (has a Stop button)
OSMC remote
http://www.modmypi.com/image/cache/d...48-800x609.jpg

Update: Received the remote yesterday . Works great w/ both the FireTV & Kodi side . The Home button doesn't bring you to Home in AFTV, but that is not a biggie for me at all.
Now this thing rocks!

Last edited by christoofar; 07-12-2016 at 12:06 PM.
post #1820 of 1830 Old 07-11-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else having problems with the One America News app? Every time I start it up, it's in the middle of the same "marijuana gym" story (in the exact same spot) and it plays for about ten seconds before freezing (also in the exact same spot). This is on two different Fire TV's, a first-gen and second gen. I've done the whole "clear data, clear cache, force stop, reboot Fire TV" thing and it doesn't help. Also completely uninstalled and reinstalled the app on both boxes, that didn't help either. What's going on?

post #1821 of 1830 Old 07-11-2016, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 88
*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread

I have to say that I despise the stick compared to the box. It's slower, I find it to be more glitchy and I tried to plug into my receiver and it didn't like the heat coming off it and froze. I admit it's a beefy receiver but I am going to purchase another FireTV box and probably never bother with the stick again.
christoofar likes this.
post #1822 of 1830 Old 07-11-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Anyone else having problems with the One America News app? Every time I start it up, it's in the middle of the same "marijuana gym" story (in the exact same spot) and it plays for about ten seconds before freezing (also in the exact same spot). This is on two different Fire TV's, a first-gen and second gen. I've done the whole "clear data, clear cache, force stop, reboot Fire TV" thing and it doesn't help. Also completely uninstalled and reinstalled the app on both boxes, that didn't help either. What's going on?
You might try going into Setting/Manage Installed Apps & clear data & cache.
If no joy, could also try uninstall/reinstall the app.

post #1823 of 1830 Old 07-11-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
You might try going into Setting/Manage Installed Apps & clear data & cache.
If no joy, could also try uninstall/reinstall the app.
Already tried all that. None of it helped. Thanks anyway.

post #1824 of 1830 Old 07-12-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Already tried all that. None of it helped. Thanks anyway.
Might try contacting One America News about it.

post #1825 of 1830 Old 07-12-2016, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Playing Movies on Amazon Fire TV using ES File Explorer

I have a number of movies and video files on a home server. I would prefer to use a simple menu structure. ES File explorer fits the bill in both file browsing and pulling from my home network. How does Amazon Fire TV handle 2, 4, 6, gig movie files? Will it handle playing movies through ES File Explorer or am I going to have to use something like Plex?
post #1826 of 1830 Old 07-13-2016, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Might try contacting One America News about it.
Looks like it was an issue on their end, problem fixed itself on all my Fire TV's.

post #1827 of 1830 Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 AM

I'm not making progress finding what is going on with Amazon Video and the apparent lack of Dolby audio on almost every title tried. This is all since something was "fixed" on their servers; 6 weeks ago and previously for many months, all was well.
I'm wondering if there are any AVS "old timers" monitoring this thread that might point me to a Dolby expert in another forum?
It appears to me that the current Amazon Video streams are mostly basic stereo, rarely DD 5.1, but may show up on some receivers as "Dolby" when in fact, it is _Dolby_ in name only. In other words, flagged as Dolby but really basic (PCM?) stereo. In this case, perhaps some newer receivers will handle the incorrect header and switch to the proper decoder, while others output digital noise?
I would love to find someone who could analyze the stream and determine the cause of this grief.

One other thing of note: I'm seeing a stream size increase from around 3.5 to 3.9 gigs per hour, to around 5 gigs per hour (last few days). Picture quality is outstanding at either rate. Is anyone else noticing this?

Walker
post #1828 of 1830 Old 07-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I tried searching the forum but did not have luck in finding out this information. Sorry if it is found somewhere else. I'm using Plex on my FireTV but when I playback my bluray movie I will have the audio go silent for a brief second (maybe half a second). Just enough to annoy me. Video works fine. Now when I play a DVD, everything plays back fine. I also played back the same video on the PLEX Computer APP and everything is fine. I also checked my server and it is running 20% CPU utilization when a file is being played back on the FireTV, also everything is running on a gigabit network. Has anyone experienced this and know of a solution? Are there any recommended settings that the Plex app should be set for on the Firetv or the Plex Sever?

I think it must be audio related but not sure how to fix. I've resorted to using my computer to playback movies since it works, but not as convenient as the FireTV.

Thanks

PSN ID: Onedropshot
post #1829 of 1830 Old 07-28-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Ran across the cheap bluetooth keyboard ($6) that's working great on my Fire TV and Stick:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ULAK-Wire...-Prod/49140396

I've also seen it a bit cheaper elsewhere, but don't know about shipping cost.

Now my question. Is there any way besides PS Vue to get Fox News live streaming on a Fire TV (or Roku)? The official app doesn't do live streaming. And if I side load the android app, it won't do it either. I'm not a fan myself, but FNC is the only cable channel my parents watch and is the only reason I got them a PS Vue subscription. But I hate paying $29/month for one channel.

TIA
post #1830 of 1830 Old 07-28-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Interested in another way to get Fox News, too. Especially since the latest PS Vue software update seems to have FUBAR'ed the a/v sync on many channels, Fox News being one of the worst.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page