*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #1831 of 1854 Old 12-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_Roadster View Post
I have a number of movies and video files on a home server. I would prefer to use a simple menu structure. ES File explorer fits the bill in both file browsing and pulling from my home network. How does Amazon Fire TV handle 2, 4, 6, gig movie files? Will it handle playing movies through ES File Explorer or am I going to have to use something like Plex?
My FireTV has no trouble with multi-gig files but that all depends on your particular setup and the codecs/containers of your files. I also use Mezzmo to stream my library to my TVs so if there are any incompatibility issues it transcodes on the server side and I am blissfully unaware.

FireTV has some limitations on the audio support, mostly limited to decoding DD and DD+ so if you want some higher resolution audio then you should probably sideload Kodi, set Kodi to passthrough the audio and let an AVR do the decoding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1854 Old 12-12-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Anyone having issues with either Kodi or SPMC after receiving the FireOS update on the FTV2? Ever since then, SPMC will no longer work . I've installed 4 different versions (all clean installs, wiping SD card each time).Either it installs, opens normally, then after I've scanned all my media back , it loses them the next time you open it, or , it mostly won't even boot (gets to a black screen & then that is it). Spent all this past weekend trying to figure a solution. Was finally able to install Kodi 17 beta 6 on it late yesterday, and so far it is still working normally. I've posted this on Kodi & SPMC forums, nothing...

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
AFTV2+ KODI 17=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 X 2 + A2rx-c x 1+ DCM OW-1s x 2 + RSL Speedwoofer10 S
post #1833 of 1854 Old 12-17-2016, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
*Official* Amazon Fire TV Discussion Thread

What's with the Fire tv box and stick where they both seem to hijack inputs on a Denon receiver? I have an LG tv in one room with the Denon and the Fire box, and the stick on a Samsung tv (no receiver) in another room and many times when switching inputs from say a TiVo or Apple TV in either room the AFTV and stick force the receiver and tv to go to the inputs that the Fire box is on when choosing a different input. If that makes any sense? As far as I know amazon doesn't have a hdmi-Cec setting that automatically goes to that input. I see where it never really sleeps, perhaps this is why because its basically always on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #1834 of 1854 Old 12-17-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2370 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
What's with the Fire tv box and stick where they both seem to hijack inputs on a Denon receiver? I have an LG tv in one room with the Denon and the Fire box, and the stick on a Samsung tv (no receiver) in another room and many times when switching inputs from say a TiVo or Apple TV in either room the AFTV and stick force the receiver and tv to go to the inputs that the Fire box is on when choosing a different input. If that makes any sense? As far as I know amazon doesn't have a hdmi-Cec setting that automatically goes to that input. I see where it never really sleeps, perhaps this is why because its basically always on?

Doesnt happen to me. Must be CEC in other devices.
post #1835 of 1854 Old 12-17-2016, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:

Yes you need to disable CEC in the affected devices. If you depend on CEC for ARC or something else, you're stuck with it.
The FTV devices do have CEC, its just a "secret" feature.
post #1836 of 1854 Old 12-18-2016, 12:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Hi slapshot, did the Fire TV box or stick had a software update lately to 5.2.4.0? If so, a new HDMI CEC Device Control option was added to Display & Sound Menu (it is on by default after udpate).
post #1837 of 1854 Old 12-18-2016, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi slapshot, did the Fire TV box or stick had a software update lately to 5.2.4.0? If so, a new HDMI CEC Device Control option was added to Display & Sound Menu (it is on by default after udpate).

Thanks I'll have to check that.

post #1838 of 1854 Old 12-18-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Sneaky bastages!
Well at least now there's a switch to turn it off. But if its off in other devices it won't matter. But if they're officially supporting this now, maybe the FTV will work better at being controlled by other device's remotes.
post #1839 of 1854 Old 12-18-2016, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just got the latest update and now I can't find any 4K content on Amazon Prime, used to have to scroll down the Amazon app to find it, now for me it's nowhere to be found...any help would be great...thanks

LG 65EF9500
Samsung UN55B8500XF FALD
post #1840 of 1854 Old 12-18-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
I just got the latest update and now I can't find any 4K content on Amazon Prime, used to have to scroll down the Amazon app to find it, now for me it's nowhere to be found...any help would be great...thanks
There are UHD lists in each of the different programming categories up along the top of the home screen. Everything is moved around but its all still there. If not, make sure your FTV is enabling UHD in the display settings. Might need a reboot.
fvbounty likes this.
post #1841 of 1854 Old 12-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There are UHD lists in each of the different programming categories up along the top of the home screen. Everything is moved around but its all still there. If not, make sure your FTV is enabling UHD in the display settings. Might need a reboot.
Thanks I did enable the 4K in the settings but I didn't reboot...that's next!

LG 65EF9500
Samsung UN55B8500XF FALD
post #1842 of 1854 Old 12-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

The reboot did it, now I have a UHD section that I didn't have before and Thanks again for the info!

LG 65EF9500
Samsung UN55B8500XF FALD
post #1843 of 1854 Old 12-22-2016, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
To find 4K content, do the following:

Through Voice

Ask the voice filter to give you 4K movies or videos only
On Netflix, there's a filtering option
On Hulu, you can filter what 4K movies are available

If you do not want to filter through voice, then there is a good guide on howtogeek.com here, on how to find only 4k videos.

For enabling Plex & Kodi, there's a good Amazon Fire TV Stick Guide & Resource log book here.
post #1844 of 1854 Old 12-29-2016, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Are they are going to boost the volume output, youtube on my tv is loud at 20, youtube and other apps on the fire tv are loud at 50+. i have to turn on auto volume and amplify to get it down to a decent number

Last edited by rckrz6; 12-29-2016 at 09:53 PM.
post #1845 of 1854 Old 12-30-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lately I'm having a strange issue where the TV goes dark after a time, even though I have all screensavers OFF (both on the AFTV2 & in Kodi Settings) It happens after sitting idle for a time, which would point to screensaver, but it happened once or twice while playing music via Kodi. Audio still worked, just no picture. Latest FW on FTV & Kodi 17 b7.

AFTV2+ KODI 17=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 X 2 + A2rx-c x 1+ DCM OW-1s x 2 + RSL Speedwoofer10 S
post #1846 of 1854 Old 12-30-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Lately I'm having a strange issue where the TV goes dark after a time, even though I have all screensavers OFF (both on the AFTV2 & in Kodi Settings) It happens after sitting idle for a time, which would point to screensaver, but it happened once or twice while playing music via Kodi. Audio still worked, just no picture. Latest FW on FTV & Kodi 17 b7.
The black screen isn't actually related to the screensaver, its the unit going to "sleep". There's no control over that, but it really shouldn't be doing it while music is playing. I can see it happening if the app in use is not properly "keeping it alive", but if you're listening to Amazon's music app it shouldn't happen. Pressing any button should bring it right back.
post #1847 of 1854 Old 12-30-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The black screen isn't actually related to the screensaver, its the unit going to "sleep". There's no control over that, but it really shouldn't be doing it while music is playing. I can see it happening if the app in use is not properly "keeping it alive", but if you're listening to Amazon's music app it shouldn't happen. Pressing any button should bring it right back.
A button press does bring it back, just was curious why it was doing it in the first place, since as I described I have nothing enabled to tell the AFTV to sleep or shut screen off. <shrug>

post #1848 of 1854 Old 12-30-2016, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2370 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
A button press does bring it back, just was curious why it was doing it in the first place, since as I described I have nothing enabled to tell the AFTV to sleep or shut screen off. <shrug>
Does it always happen from the Home screen?
post #1849 of 1854 Old 12-30-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Does it always happen from the Home screen?
It's happened on the FTV home screen, and also when Kodi is up & playing music. Mostly the former, box sitting at idle, screen goes off after a time, which sounds like sleep mode kicks in auto-magically. Will watch for it & see if I can figure out the elapsed time before it goes dark.
bilpiper likes this.

post #1850 of 1854 Old 12-30-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
It's happened on the FTV home screen, and also when Kodi is up & playing music. Mostly the former, box sitting at idle, screen goes off after a time, which sounds like sleep mode kicks in auto-magically. Will watch for it & see if I can figure out the elapsed time before it goes dark.
Should be at around 15-20 min.
post #1851 of 1854 Old 12-30-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Should be at around 15-20 min.
Do you have any idea what is causing this?

post #1852 of 1854 Old 12-30-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Do you have any idea what is causing this?
Its designed to do this, call it a feature. It shuts down video processing after a period of inactivity. Its meant to save energy and heat.
post #1853 of 1854 Old 12-30-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its designed to do this, call it a feature. It shuts down video processing after a period of inactivity. Its meant to save energy and heat.
Interesting. Wasn't like this until recently. Enabling it without end user ability to defeat kind of sucks too. I'd rather have the choice, especially if it's shutting off while playing media files...
reddice likes this.

post #1854 of 1854 Old 12-30-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Wasn't like this until recently. Enabling it without end user ability to defeat kind of sucks too. I'd rather have the choice, especially if it's shutting off while playing media files...
Every FTV devise has done it since day one. I don't know if the timings have changed with the new software, maybe so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming