powerline network, w7mc, xbox's and sony internet tv troubleshooting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-29-2014, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I googled for a home theater forum and this was the first result.  I've included my specs at the bottom of my post. my issue is as follows - When my xbox's are in extender mode, oftentimes HD channels streamed from the computer will have SERIOUS pixelation and freezing issues, though this is only true of live tv, recordings do not have this issue at all. Now, initially, my first response would have been to blame the powerline adapters. But further examination has eliminated them as the culprit for two reasons.

1:clearly the powerline network has enough bandwidth to stream high def video, because a recorded version of the same show streaming live has no issues, and

2: when i use the android application 'imediashare personal' to direct the xbox to connect directly to the tuner via dlna, there are no issues streaming high definition live tv, during the same time frame that wmc extender is taking a crap on me. when i connect to the xbox with  the app when it is in extender mode, the app sees it as 'xbox 360 extender' rather than just 'xbox 360', and i have the same issues, but if i return to the dash and do the same thing it is immediately better.

this leads me to believe that there is a bottleneck at the htpc. the htpc can watch televison with no issues, as well as the sony internet tv in the other room ( which is also connecting to the tuner directly via DLNA, but, oddly enough, sometimes decides to suddenly change channels by it's self) but only when connected as an extender do the xbox's have issues. all of the drivers for my pc are up to date, and the utilities for the powerline adapters are up to installed and configured. any ideas?

note, i am in a rented four story house. running cable isn't an option.

rig specs

500 Watt - ATX Power Supply
785G3 AMD 785G Crossfire Chipset motherboard
8 GB OCZ Gold 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (4x2GB Modules)
1.0TB (1 x 1TB) Hard Drive (Serial ATA II, 3GB, 7200 RPM, 32M Cache)
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-Core CPU (3.0GHz, 6MB L3 Cache, AM3)

NVIDIA GeForce HD N250 GTS TWINFROZR1G OC 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 2300MHz

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

On-board 10/100/1000 Ethernet Connection

USB dual band wifi dongle WNDA3100

the network setup is

Netgear WNDR3400 dual band router connected to modem

TP-link TL-SG1008D 8 port gigabit switch connected to router

HDhomerun prime networked digital tuner + voip hardware and one of the powerline adapters to the switch

5 TL-PA511 av-500 from tp-link (theoretical 500gbps throughput) one to the router, one to my room (where the htpc is), one to the xbox on the main floor, one to the xbox in the basement, and one to the NSX-24GT1 sony tv in the other bedroom

Other networking gear i have laying around for whatever reason

1 DHP-540 av-500 powerline switch from d-link 

1 TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 5 port gigabit switch 

1 more 5 TL-PA511 av-500 from tp-link

1 DIR-655 gigabit router (doesn't have dual band capabilities, but it does have some BIG antennae)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-31-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Have you tried connecting your xbox directly to your router rather than using the power line network with live TV? I would try to do this first to rule out the power line network.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 4 Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

well, i can steam high definition tv to two xbox's and a Google tv via dlna simultaneously, so i know the network can handle the load. it's only as an extender that the xbox's have issues. i cannot reasonably connect it directly because the nearest tv is two flights of stairs from the router and is 41 inches and quite heavy and the router must be connected at the entry point. 

post #4 of 4 Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

found a solution, i replaced the gigabit switch and powerline adapter upstairs with the powerline capable gigabit switch, then completely uninstalled and deleted the driver for my onboard LAN and reinstalled. everything is working perfectly now.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - 785G by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page