How does Amazon FireTV Compares to WD TV Live - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there.

Recently I was looking for a Media server,player,streaming device. I'm looking for a device that supports my local media files, must of then are MKV files in h.264 with DTS audio and subtitles.

I set my eyes on a WD TV Live (WDBHG70000NBK-HESN) which can send the DTS signal to my receiver (Denon AVR-791) so can be decode, today Amazon released the FireTV but I don't know how handles the local files, doesn't have Spotify (which its a plus for me) and I don't know if will be capable of send the DTS signal to the receiver.

Someone knows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehemoth View Post

Hi there.

Recently I was looking for a Media server,player,streaming device. I'm looking for a device that supports my local media files, must of then are MKV files in h.264 with DTS audio and subtitles.

I set my eyes on a WD TV Live (WDBHG70000NBK-HESN) which can send the DTS signal to my receiver (Denon AVR-791) so can be decode, today Amazon released the FireTV but I don't know how handles the local files, doesn't have Spotify (which its a plus for me) and I don't know if will be capable of send the DTS signal to the receiver.

Someone knows?

The Plex App on the Fire TV will play your MKV files without issue. You'll just have to run the free Plex Media Server on your PC which has its own benefits such as updating all of the file info automatically. It's easy to setup and once you do so it basically maintains itself. You just tell it where to look for new files and it will automatically be updated when you put the file there.

According to some of the reviewers in attendance it will support Spotify. Keep in mind it was just announced and more and more features and providers will be jumping on. Rome wasn't built in a day.

DTS should not be a problem as it can send everything up to 7.1 audio according to the specs.
barelyderr251 likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-02-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I would like not to use my PC, I prefer to connect a local drive. I've been trying to use Plex Media Server on my PC but the subtitles never worked but as I said before I don't want to use my PC.

Let's wait then
post #4 of 25 Old 04-02-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:

I would like not to use my PC, I prefer to connect a local drive. I've been trying to use Plex Media Server on my PC but the subtitles never worked but as I said before I don't want to use my PC.

Let's wait then

It has a USB port. Let's wait and see if they eventually offer local playback for you in a fashion you're satisfied with. smile.gif
post #5 of 25 Old 04-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I've been super happy with my WDTV Live. It streams content from my computer and NAS without a hitch.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
post #6 of 25 Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Liked: 12
WDTV is the only one that will play local files in whatever format you have, either by plugging a drive in or over the network. Everything else has issues with one format or another, or forces you to use plex.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal View Post

The Plex App on the Fire TV will play your MKV files without issue. You'll just have to run the free Plex Media Server on your PC which has its own benefits such as updating all of the file info automatically. It's easy to setup and once you do so it basically maintains itself. You just tell it where to look for new files and it will automatically be updated when you put the file there.

According to some of the reviewers in attendance it will support Spotify. Keep in mind it was just announced and more and more features and providers will be jumping on. Rome wasn't built in a day.

DTS should not be a problem as it can send everything up to 7.1 audio according to the specs.

Right - but I have found that you must not exceed 20MB/s otherwise the FireTV has a meltdown with Green-screens and pixelation. Capping the stream to 20MB/s seems to resolve any issues. Transcoded content via plex, such as MPEG2 looks pretty awful really. Therefore the FireTV is a "OK" solution for local streaming if you don't mind your server trans coding or the client slightly limiting the bandwidth.

If you want a untouched local streaming experience then WDTV or other local streamers (e.g. Dune, etc) or decent BD players that have local streaming support (e.g. Oppo, Sony, etc) is the better way to go, and save the FireTV for cloud based services, games, etc.
bombertodd likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Right - but I have found that you must not exceed 20MB/s otherwise the FireTV has a meltdown with Green-screens and pixelation. Capping the stream to 20MB/s seems to resolve any issues. Transcoded content via plex, such as MPEG2 looks pretty awful really. Therefore the FireTV is a "OK" solution for local streaming if you don't mind your server trans coding or the client slightly limiting the bandwidth.

If you want a untouched local streaming experience then WDTV or other local streamers (e.g. Dune, etc) or decent BD players that have local streaming support (e.g. Oppo, Sony, etc) is the better way to go, and save the FireTV for cloud based services, games, etc.

The guys over on the XBMC forum who have had success side loading the App are reporting successful tests of 40Mbps + on the Fire TV with sample media files.

Plex is currently working on a new app for the Fire TV and a profile which properly states what the Fire TV itself can play.

Let's hope that it will just keep getting better and better.

I personally use it for MKV's and besides the issue with multi channel sound, until it's fixed it, plays them beautifully. I would reserve judgement on other file types until everything is updated. The Plex guys have said the current app is not really suited for the Fire TV and its capabilities.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Would you mind talking a little bit more about those options you mention?

Dune?, never heard of it
BD players (Oppo, Sony, etc) any specific model you can recommend?
post #10 of 25 Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dune?, never heard of it

There are a number of dedicated STBs that really focus on local media playback via USB, internal drive, DLNA or network (NFS, SMB, etc).

Dune and Mede8er are popular devices and there are others. If you search this part of the forum you will see lots of posts, or a good search on google

These players are very good and have a very "visual" front end (e.g. movie poster art, short/long descriptions, etc) ...

On the BD players, the current Oppo 103 is a very good local media player. Plays lots of formats locally. Outputs 24p and supports TrueHD and DTS-MA. Oppo supports both USB, DLNA or network shares (NFS, SMB) The Sony range of players, such as the recent BDP-S6200 is a pretty decent local media player ... supporting a large range of formats and works best with the Serviio DLNA server.

More info on these in the BD player part of the forum

The only problem with using a BD player for local file playback is you give up movie poster artwork and descriptions, etc.

Hope this helps.
Nehemoth likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Dune?, never heard of it

The price really jumps up on some of these players as well. You can get a unit that "does it all" but it's going to cost you.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent, I really appreciate it.I Will look for those media servers and anyways I need a BRP as I hace some phisycal media.

Quote:

There are a number of dedicated STBs that really focus on local media playback via USB, internal drive, DLNA or network (NFS, SMB, etc).

Dune and Mede8er are popular devices and there are others. If you search this part of the forum you will see lots of posts, or a good search on google

These players are very good and have a very "visual" front end (e.g. movie poster art, short/long descriptions, etc) ...

On the BD players, the current Oppo 103 is a very good local media player. Plays lots of formats locally. Outputs 24p and supports TrueHD and DTS-MA. Oppo supports both USB, DLNA or network shares (NFS, SMB) The Sony range of players, such as the recent BDP-S6200 is a pretty decent local media player ... supporting a large range of formats and works best with the Serviio DLNA server.

More info on these in the BD player part of the forum

The only problem with using a BD player for local file playback is you give up movie poster artwork and descriptions, etc.

Hope this helps.
post #13 of 25 Old 04-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Liked: 11
I suggest you give the WDTV Live serious consideration. If you can't afford an Oppo 103, go for a good non-smart BD player AND a WDTV Live.

Just keep in mind that the Sony (I have a BDP-S6200) will also re-encode your media when played through any DLNA server (PC/Smart-NAS needed) and that is some visible quality loss.

The Sony can play MKVs directly and lossless using USB, but it makes a mess with some subtitles, and it sometimes loses lipsync when playing larger high-bitrate files. Not good enough for me.

I already had an older WDTV Live Plus that is currently in my bedroom (no USB on the front - ugly GUI) and it did a better job playing my files then the Sony, both using USB or Network, in all aspects I tested. Except network stability, maybe... The older WDTV with WiFi adapter is a bit "frisky" and needs me to re-enter my username and password to access the local network from time to time.

So I ended up getting another WDTV (the Live model with USB on the front) for my HT and I'm very happy with it. I stopped using the "smart" functions on my Sony altogether since then...

This Sony... what a waste of money. Any high-quality non-smart 3D BD player plus the WDTV Live combined would have cost me way less the the damn Sony. Oh, and the auto-detect on the new WDTV firmware is fully compatible with the 9.2/7.2 capabilities of my Onkyo receiver, while the Sony stops at 7.1. The Sony Hotline support guys don't know why.

But take my comments with 2 grains of salt... I'm currently pissed with this Sony player.

Good luck!
bombertodd likes this.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrek View Post

I suggest you give the WDTV Live serious consideration. If you can't afford an Oppo 103, go for a good non-smart BD player AND a WDTV Live.

Just keep in mind that the Sony (I have a BDP-S6200) will also re-encode your media when played through any DLNA server (PC/Smart-NAS needed) and that is some visible quality loss.

The Sony can play MKVs directly and lossless using USB, but it makes a mess with some subtitles, and it sometimes loses lipsync when playing larger high-bitrate files. Not good enough for me.

I already had an older WDTV Live Plus that is currently in my bedroom (no USB on the front - ugly GUI) and it did a better job playing my files then the Sony, both using USB or Network, in all aspects I tested. Except network stability, maybe... The older WDTV with WiFi adapter is a bit "frisky" and needs me to re-enter my username and password to access the local network from time to time.

So I ended up getting another WDTV (the Live model with USB on the front) for my HT and I'm very happy with it. I stopped using the "smart" functions on my Sony altogether since then...

This Sony... what a waste of money. Any high-quality non-smart 3D BD player plus the WDTV Live combined would have cost me way less the the damn Sony. Oh, and the auto-detect on the new WDTV firmware is fully compatible with the 9.2/7.2 capabilities of my Onkyo receiver, while the Sony stops at 7.1. The Sony Hotline support guys don't know why.

But take my comments with 2 grains of salt... I'm currently pissed with this Sony player.

Good luck!

I,m not sure what you mean when you say using the bdp-s6200 with DLNA will re-encode your media. The sony bdp will play MKVs natively from a DLNA server with no transcoding. The player supports vc-1, mpeg2 and avc video codecs and PCM, dts-ma, Dts and Dolby digital audio codecs in MKVs (and m2ts) containers
post #15 of 25 Old 04-09-2014, 02:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I,m not sure what you mean when you say using the bdp-s6200 with DLNA will re-encode your media. The sony bdp will play MKVs natively from a DLNA server with no transcoding. The player supports vc-1, mpeg2 and avc video codecs and PCM, dts-ma, Dts and Dolby digital audio codecs in MKVs (and m2ts) containers

Yeah, that was what I had in mind when I purchased this thing. At least, that IS what the specs say.

I noticed a real loss of quality in some movies when streamed from my local "media-server" (dedicated AMD X6 1090T - 8GB RAM - Win7) and the same movies would play with better image from a USB hard-drive. My LAN has 2 HP/3Com gigabit switches and all in-wall cables are CAT6. I easily get 100+ MB/s when transferring files from one computer to another, so its faster than any USB 2.0 HDD, ruling out bandwidth problems. I suspected that having WMP serving DLNA could be the issue, so I tried the SS PC-Share one that came with my Samsung HDTV and got the same results. Sony tech-support told me to try Serviio and I did so. Same results.

One of the technicians (level 2?) told me that HDCP enabled content was processed differently when played from a DLNA server, I loosely quote him saying it has "an extra layer of processing, and that's why the image have some quality loss". And that changed a problem into a "feature"... I found no info about that online, but I tend to agree with the tech's assessment. I have murky blacks, square shadowy areas on dark grays... It's just too visible to ignore. Then I watch the same file playing from USB, it's as "perfect" as it should be.

But I'm not a digi-vid tech-expert. If the Sony tech played me, I bough it right there. I've a tech background on Electrical Engineering and on Physics, I worked with Electric-ware most of my life and I know my way around analogical electronics, but I know very little about digital, codecs, software and stuff. I just like good sound and good image.

But, on the OP topic, it seems that the XBMC guys are having a blast with the FireTV. They seem to love the hardware and are porting a "hardware accelerated" version of XBMC exclusive to FireTV. That could be interesting.

Cheers!
post #16 of 25 Old 04-09-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrek View Post

Yeah, that was what I had in mind when I purchased this thing. At least, that IS what the specs say.

I noticed a real loss of quality in some movies when streamed from my local "media-server" (dedicated AMD X6 1090T - 8GB RAM - Win7) and the same movies would play with better image from a USB hard-drive. My LAN has 2 HP/3Com gigabit switches and all in-wall cables are CAT6. I easily get 100+ MB/s when transferring files from one computer to another, so its faster than any USB 2.0 HDD, ruling out bandwidth problems. I suspected that having WMP serving DLNA could be the issue, so I tried the SS PC-Share one that came with my Samsung HDTV and got the same results. Sony tech-support told me to try Serviio and I did so. Same results.

One of the technicians (level 2?) told me that HDCP enabled content was processed differently when played from a DLNA server, I loosely quote him saying it has "an extra layer of processing, and that's why the image have some quality loss". And that changed a problem into a "feature"... I found no info about that online, but I tend to agree with the tech's assessment. I have murky blacks, square shadowy areas on dark grays... It's just too visible to ignore. Then I watch the same file playing from USB, it's as "perfect" as it should be.

But I'm not a digi-vid tech-expert. If the Sony tech played me, I bough it right there. I've a tech background on Electrical Engineering and on Physics, I worked with Electric-ware most of my life and I know my way around analogical electronics, but I know very little about digital, codecs, software and stuff. I just like good sound and good image.

But, on the OP topic, it seems that the XBMC guys are having a blast with the FireTV. They seem to love the hardware and are porting a "hardware accelerated" version of XBMC exclusive to FireTV. That could be interesting.

Cheers!

Yea, something is not right with your DLNA server on your NAS. There maybe some throttling going on ... if its not trans-coding on the fly. I've used a bunch of DLNA servers with Sony BDPs and there is no loss in video quality ... so long as you don't limit the bandwidth, or enable transcoding on the DLNA server.

"One of the technicians (level 2?) told me that HDCP enabled content was processed differently when played from a DLNA server, I loosely quote him saying it has "an extra layer of processing, and that's why the image have some quality loss". ... sorry but thats just a bunch of nonsense from the tech. They know absolutely nothing. Complete useless. Youre be better off talking to a cardboard box than a Sony esupport rep.

I sideloaded XBMC on the FireTV no problem. I have'nt got around yet to mounting any network file systems on it yet .. but in terms of just navigation speed, its lightening fast with XBMC.
post #17 of 25 Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've always thought of DLNA as a pointless crutch which is why I'm happy the WDTV simply plays content from network shares. XMBC on FireTV sounds interesting though. Of course there's no date on when the player will be released on Amazon.de...

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #18 of 25 Old 04-12-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Hi there.

Someone knows?

This may be a bit harsh as it's been a very good media player in the past. I would not recommend any kind of WDTV at this point. The FireTV would be a much better solution and there are also other excellent solution which have a bright future, something I doubt the WDTV has.

The subtitle issue does raise a possible exception though. If they are text based then you'd still be fine without the WDTV. It's when you get into picture subs such as idx/sub formats that Plex, DLNA, etc ... all break down. At that point the WDTV might make sense if you have a lot of those.

Philip
post #19 of 25 Old 04-12-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I've had my Amazon Fire TV for almost a week now. If I could have only one of my devices I would keep the WDTV Live. Streaming from Network shares is the main reason. Everywhere else they feel about the same.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
post #20 of 25 Old 04-14-2014, 03:47 PM

Liked: 13
I love my WDTV Live. As far as playing local content, I think its the best player available... plays every format I throw at it without issue.

The only thing missing from my WDTV Live is the Amazon Instant App. Otherwise, it has Hulu, Netflix, Spotify, Pandora which are the only services I really care about. I wish they'd update the apps, but considering this thing is going on a few years old now, I know that unlikely.

I dont see where the FireTV really fits, or what advantage over a Roku it has in terms of online services. But I suspect Amazon is going to come out full-force with streaming content soon and the Fire may have some kind of exclusives, who knows.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've had my Fire TV for a few days now and I really like it far more than my Roku 3 and my ex WDTV. It's very responsive, you can sideload XBMC or almost anything if that is what you want, and has a very nice Plex which, however, needs a fix for AC3 audio.

The Roku 3 is also nice but it is not as responsive as the FireTV.

Philip
post #22 of 25 Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Yep, if you don't need hd audio, Fire TV w/XBMC is the better box.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #23 of 25 Old 04-17-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I ordered one of these Amazon FireTV's because I do not have a Roku 3, and I am interested in sideloading XBMC onto it.
I also have a dune player for local network shares, but this new box looks interesting.

Its out for delivery now, and should be sitting at my door when I get home tonight.

A new toy to play with......
post #24 of 25 Old 04-18-2014, 09:32 AM

Are there issues streaming over a wired connection from a NAS (I use unRAID).

Will the FireTV play DTS audio without a receiver?

I read that people were experiencing lag/choppy video.

Thanks!

post #25 of 25 Old 04-18-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssean View Post

Are there issues streaming over a wired connection from a NAS (I use unRAID).

Will the FireTV play DTS audio without a receiver?

I read that people were experiencing lag/choppy video.

Thanks!
No issues streaming from NAS. I'm doing so from my Synology NAS over cat5e wired w/o issues. Can play up to 70Mbps bitrate test files. FireTV plays DTS audio without a receiver; it will downmix to stereo. Not sure about people experiencing lag/choppy video, but all VC-1 titles will stutter, as will a few BD rips. For me, so far, the only rip that's causing issue (confirmed by another user also) is 'The Dark Knight Rises'. Choppy and green pixellated streaks. What's odd is other H.264 (MPEG4) movies with higher bitrates play just fine.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - 1090T by PriceGrabber.com