External SATA Interface
XBMC , Netflix , Flash Support

Specs:
CPU : ARM Cortex A9 1.6G Dual-core CPU+4 core Mali-400 GPU
RAM : 1GB DDR3
Flash : 4GB emmc Flash
Wired LAN : 10/100 Base-T Ethernet
Wireless LAN : Built-in 802.11N WIFI
USB: USB2.0 Host*3( connect to USB devices)
SATA : External Hot sWAP sata + Power Interface
AV output : Composite , HDMI , L/R Stereo , Optical SPDIF
Card Reader : MMC/SD 2-in-1 card reader
Video Format : ts, m2ts, tp , trp , mkv, mp4, avi , rm , rmvb , wmv, asf , flv, vob, dal , mpg, mpeg
3D Video : side-by-side , up-and-down , Blu-ray 3D
Video Codec : MPEG1/2/4, H.264/AVC, MVC,VC1, XVID, DIvx , rEALVIDEO8/9/10, vp6
Video System : PAL/NTSC/720P/1080i 50Hz/1080I 60hZ/1080P 50hZ/1080P 60Hz
Audio Format : mp3, wma, aac, ape, flac, mka
Picture format : JPEG, GIF, BMP , PNG
Subtitle Format : SRT, SMI , SUB , SSA, IDX+SUB , PGS
File System : NTFS, FAT32, EXT3, EXT2
Text Subtile Option : Font Color , outline color , Position , Size , Timeline , Encoding
UI Language : Simplified Chinese / Traditional Chinese / English / Japanese/Russia/Polish/Dutch/Italian/French/German /Korean

I've had this player a little over a week, it replaces my HiMedia HD900B which I used primarily to play 3D Bluray ISO's. That particular player had its faults, several of them in fact, but it did the job I wanted it to do 99% of the time. The only issue I had with it, in terms of playing 3D BD ISO, was with very high bitrate video, it would stutter quite badly but that was with only one or two movies in my collection. Regardless, it was time to upgrade to the more powerful Q5ii which was, at the time of its introduction, the only Android media box which could play 3D BD ISO and which supported downmix and passthrough for 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA lossless HD-Audio. I believe there are several players which claim to offer similar features now.

There are two versions of this player, one with eMMC flash and one without. The one with eMMC supports XBMC while I've read that the other version does not, or at least won't until a future upgrade, which may or may not have happened yet (there's not much information out there on this device). I took the safe route and went with the eMMC version as I really want a player with XBMC for my movie collection and an all around more enjoyable home theater experience. HiMedia have their own custom build of XBMC which you can download from their website or which you should be able to acquire from authorized HiMedia resellers. I got mine off eBay Australia for $128 and the device came with a remote control and HDMI 1.4 cable.

The player has three USB slots for external drives but does not have an internal drive (the Q10 is the version with an internal drive, it looks exactly the same as the HD900B). You can also hook up a HDD using the SATA slot so effectively there's room for four hard drives. The player has both optical and coaxial audio inputs.

General Performance
The player boots up fairly quickly in under 25 seconds. The home screen has various apps, most of them aimed at Chinese users (the Chinese streaming TV apps do work even from my home city in Australia) and includes XBMC and a media player which you can use to play content outside of XBMC. I find this player quite limited in terms of its functionality but it's also very stable, I haven't found anything that it won't play - MKV, 3DBD ISO etc but of course you don't get movie information, just a list of file titles. One thing to note is that the player defaults to 720p resolution so playing 3D at this res won't result in a pleasant experience, changing the res to 1080p at 50/60hz fixes the 3D issue as it will then switch to 24hz once it detects the appropriate content. The remote control is apparently a learning remote so you can use it to control your tv, projector etc, it also has mouse functionality to control the cursor when needed. Generally it can be used to control everything you need it to control for general viewing but for setting up libraries in XBMC you'll probably need to attach an air mouse or wireless keyboard/mouse which the unit supports.

XBMC Performance
As mentioned, HiMedia have their own custom build of XBMC so don't try to install any other version. The only issue I've found with XBMC on this device in terms of playing local content is that it tends to crash a lot while scrolling through movie titles on 3TB external HDD's, even though the device detects and plays media through my WD 3TB external drive without issue, XBMC does not, it sees the drive but once I start scrolling through content it lasts a few seconds then crashes. All my 2TB drives have no such issues. In terms of add ons for TV streaming, I've had mixed success, some work, some don't but this isn't the device I use for online TV streaming so I haven't really put a lot of time into trying to make them work. Mashup, for example, couldn't play some streams which my XBMC setup on my laptop plays.

So far I'm fairly happy with this player. One thing I forgot to mention is that, like the HD900B, this player doesn't play the forced subtitles on my Avatar 3DBD ISO and you don't get full bluray menus. It does play ISO's with multiple streams which the HD900B didn't do.

Not sure what else I can add so if you've got questions, fire away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Specs sound promising. "Sound" being the key word, but after being the guinea pig with HD900B, not sure I ever want to try HiMedia again.
GusGus748s likes this.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 20 Old 04-04-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Specs sound promising. "Sound" being the key word, but after being the guinea pig with HD900B, not sure I ever want to try HiMedia again.

The HD900B was relatively early in the life of the company so I'm hoping they've learnt from their mistakes. They have been regularly providing firmware updates with the Q5ii, the last of which was not that long ago (1.0.6). Some of the problems I've had so far can be attributed to XBMC and not the unit itself, if I take XBMC out of the equation then I've had no real problems at all with it, outside of XBMC the 3TB issue is non existent.
Of course I've only had it for a very short time so problems may pop up later which I will note in this thread, if that is ever the case.
post #4 of 20 Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 PM

Liked: 16
I haven't tested HiMedia Q5 II, but I've tested more powerful HiMedia Q10 II.
Hmm, I think VidOn AV200 (or MeLE M9) is better. Of course, VidOn AV200 can also play BD3D ISO (MVC decoding) with HDMI 3D Frame Packing output. And supports DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD HDMI passthrough as well.
Moreover it has some unique properties, for example, it supports BD-menu (including BD-J) and has some auto frame rate features.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-05-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Reading the VidOn thread doesn't fill me with confidence. The specs are very impressive though, quad core vs the Himedia's dual core but I do recall reading that the next edition of the Q5 will be quad core (I can't remember where I read it).

Anyway, some updates on the Himedia:

I may have identified the problem I was having with the 3TB drive. It appears that it may be related to the number of items in a folder, XBMC doesn't seem to like having too many items in the one folder (well at least this particular custom build) so I split up my movie folder (which contained 230+ subfolders) into five different folders and re-scraped them. I had no crashes when accessing content after doing this. One thing XBMC doesn't do is make it easily discernible from the video library where a particular movie is located without having to go into the movie information for each movie, so I create tags for each hard drive and put them in my favorites so I know exactly what drive I'm looking at. After re-scraping the 3TB drive I created a new tag and placed all 230++ movies into it but this action made XBMC crash again when scrolling content within the tag. So I'll do the same as I did with the windows folders and break up the tag into five separate tags and see what happens from there.

Last night I watched 47 Ronin in 3D, I then hooked up my old HD900B and compared the video and sound quality. The Q5ii is noticeably better in this regard, especially in terms of the video quality, a much cleaner, more solid (for want of a better description) picture. It actually has the effect of making the experience more immersive.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my initial post is that the unit does run quite hot but I'm yet to experience any negative impact from this.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14

I have a 900b and there is no and I repeat no ventilation in them.The aluminium on the outside is only for show as its lined with plastic underneath.The only thing you can do is take the rubber plug out on the side to let in a small amount of air.Its really badly designed for HDD cooling.I made a complete new case with 90mm fan under hdd and a separate hdd cage in the unit using the sata connections.If you look inside you will see just how bad it is.

I looked on the Vidon forum and the unit has many died and problems.I wouldn't trust it but time will tell.

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #7 of 20 Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

I have a 900b and there is no and I repeat no ventilation in them.The aluminium on the outside is only for show as its lined with plastic underneath.The only thing you can do is take the rubber plug out on the side to let in a small amount of air.Its really badly designed for HDD cooling.I made a complete new case with 90mm fan under hdd and a separate hdd cage in the unit using the sata connections.If you look inside you will see just how bad it is.

I looked on the Vidon forum and the unit has many died and problems.I wouldn't trust it but time will tell.

I remember you from the HD900B forum, you weren't a big fan of the player redface.gif
post #8 of 20 Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and I split up the tags for my 3TB drive and that did the trick, no more crashes smile.gif
post #9 of 20 Old 04-08-2014, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

I remember you from the HD900B forum, you weren't a big fan of the player redface.gif

Yes gave the unit to a friend to play with recently.Its his 1st media player to try.

post #10 of 20 Old 04-17-2014, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Update:
Well things are starting to come to light with this player and unfortunately not a lot of them are good things. XBMC is pretty unstable on Android platforms and this is no exception, initially it seemed pretty good but I hadn't really put the player through its paces, just testing small segments of media files. I've now had the opportunity to play some movies in full, both MKV and BDISO and the XBMC has crashed to the startup screen for just about every movie I've played. I installed the stable versions of both the device driver and XBMC but it still happens. Playing directly from the device's inbuilt media player is fine but again, it's pretty limited in its functionality.
Also the player can't seem to play 23.97hz and instead plays movies in 24hz which results in a noticeable stutter every minute or so, similar to what people were saying about the HD900B but I never really noticed it, most of my movies played fine on that. Not this though. The stutter is actually quite a bit worse when playing media through the main player as opposed to XBMC.
The wait for the perfect media player continues.................frown.gif
post #11 of 20 Old 04-18-2014, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Inefekt for the review and was interested to see how the player shaped up.Maybe there might be some fixes coming for it.It's a pity because it sounded so good

post #12 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

Update:
Also the player can't seem to play 23.97hz and instead plays movies in 24hz

Hmm, I thought that it didn't have HDMI 1080p 24Hz output for 2D at all - 1080i/p 50Hz and 60Hz only... Does it have such option?
post #13 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap View Post

Hmm, I thought that it didn't have HDMI 1080p 24Hz output for 2D at all - 1080i/p 50Hz and 60Hz only... Does it have such option?

No, it just plays 2D at the user-set display format. All display options are either 50hz or 60hz. It will automatically shift to 24hz for bluray ISO, not sure about 2D in this respect but definitely 3D does auto switch. There are no options to force 24hz for all compatible content like there is in the HD900B. Also, the severity of the stutter varies across displays, on my Samsung TV it's quite bad but on my Panasonic AE7000 projector it's less noticeable.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks Inefekt for the review and was interested to see how the player shaped up.Maybe there might be some fixes coming for it.It's a pity because it sounded so good

Wouldn't you know it, after I post that comment it hasn't crashed to the startup screen in the couple of movies I've watched since.
Also, I was advised by Bluetimes (the company I purchased this through) to install the 1.0.5 firmware which they gave me a link for. As per my original post in this thread, the first time I tried 3D, with the original firmware it was shipped with, it was really out of sync, 3D content was unwatchable almost like watching a 3D movie with the left/right reversed. Upgrading to the beta 1.0.6 firmware fixed this or at least made it much more watchable (I was totally convinced it was 100% right but I was satisfied), downgrading back down to the Bluetimes recommended firmware reintroduced the 3D synch issues I originally had (I only had time to test it out a couple of nights ago) so I'm forced to go back to 1.0.6 firmware.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Well there is hope they are working on fixing the issues.A friend of mine might be after a media player so will keep an eye on this one
thanks for letting us know how you are going with it

post #16 of 20 Old 04-25-2014, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well there is hope they are working on fixing the issues.A friend of mine might be after a media player so will keep an eye on this one
thanks for letting us know how you are going with it

I guess it depends on how fussy he is. Does he absolutely need XBMC for a nice looking movie library? Does he mind the odd stutter because the player can't play 23.97hz?
The player is perfectly fine without XBMC, sans the 23.97hz issue but once you start building libraries and playing everything through XBMC then it can introduce some problems as I've detailed above.
If you gave me a choice between this player and the HD900B then I'd choose this one. This is my fourth media player and every one has had its own problems so I'm not sure whether there's a perfect solution right now, or it exists but costs a LOT more money!

Anyway, I've gone back to the beta 1.0.6 firmware but now I'm unable to do a left/right swap in XBMC when watching 3DBD ISO for those movies which require it. I can do it on the device's default media player outside of XBMC so it's not a major issue but it does seem strange that it disappeared when I clearly remember it being on 1.0.6 firmware the first time I installed it. There do seem to be different iterations of each firmware floating around, which again is strange.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-25-2014, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

I gave my 900b to my friend and with L/R eye change Told him to turn his glasses upside down if not right 3D as he is still learning and finding menu's to change it---it just uncomplicates things for him and his glasses fit upside ok
yes I could't live with the bugs you have mentioned but hopefully they fix them

post #18 of 20 Old 04-26-2014, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Another development........

I watched a movie via XBMC library last night and it crashed three times before I got sick and tired of it and ended up playing the rest of the film via the default device player. This led me to finding alternatives to XBMC, which I consider a buggy piece of garbage, at least as far as the Android version is concerned. The only reason I use XBMC on Android is for its media center capabilities so I searched for alternative media centers for Android players, I came across an app called Mizuu, it costs a couple of dollars via Google Play but from what I've experienced so far it's well worth the meager expense (they do offer a 3 day money back period).

The media center itself is very impressive. Like most media centers, you scroll through thumbnail views of all the movies in your library, click on a movie and it'll take you to the details about the movie - synopsis, technical details etc, along with some nice background art but you also get a screen listing the actors in the film along with thumbnail photos, click on an actor and it'll bring up a summary of the actor, you can then see all the movies they have starred in and, if they're available in your library, play any of their movies directly from this screen. Each movie has a link to a trailer which is played via Youtube.
Now I haven't had the time to watch a full movie so I can't say for sure whether it's prone to crashing like XBMC but so far I haven't had any crashes from watching small, ten minute snippets of different movies. I'll provide an update once I've had time to test the app out with some full length movies, both 2D and 3D.

The app differentiates between movies and tv shows. It also works offline, saving the data to your local drive of your device and you can also filter content via its source, so if you have multiple external hard drives you can filter just the content which is on the drive currently plugged into your device. It'll also source content from your network so it's not just local content.

Some screenshots:

post #19 of 20 Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

It looks very nice.Hope you have luck with it

post #20 of 20 Old 05-17-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Late reply but so far the Mizuu app has worked flawlessly, makes me completely forget about the abomination that is XBMC on Android. Of course the device's issues still remain - 24hz stutters (only occasionally though) - but no crashes. The app doesn't take long to update new movies in your library either, in fact it's reasonably quick and responsive when scrolling and selecting content. If you buy this or any other Android media player my suggestion would be to put Mizuu on it straight away smile.gif
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page