Who still clings to hope for a "all-in-one" box that does it all well? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After reading up a bit on the FireTV, I can see that, as expected, it doesn't really care about local streaming.

When I first joined the enthusiast crowd here for streaming a couple years back, I had high hopes that it would be a reality. The Boxee Box (which I still use today for local) seemed SO close to the answer, that I thought a true solution was right around the corner.

But it just never appeared. Each box released has one or two failings that keep it from that Unicorn status.

Do you think it will ever get there? I don't believe it will. Simply because there's really no money in the local streamer crowd. There IS money in the streaming set-top box crowd, but ripping DVDs and Blu Rays is still very much a niche activity.

My feeling now is the only way it would ever become important is if more people ripped their content. But I don't see that happening.

For now I guess I just continue to use my PS4 for Netflix and the like, and keep the Boxee Box around for my local rips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Your hope needs to be placed on the android based ARM boxes. As they will cover streaming services and local services if one of the stand alone companies gets behind it enough to put out good enough drivers for audio/video
post #3 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What has been holding back the Android boxes? HD Audio? I know some of them accept more file formats, but do they all just have limitations still?
post #4 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A pc? always was, is and will be the best solution
post #5 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm thinking the only thing that may be in my future is one of those NUC boxes running XBMC. Will that handle all audio formats? What about 3D?
post #6 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yes, NUC (I have a Celeron and i3 boxes) will handle full 2D BD rips with HD audio with ease. OpenELEC/XBMC will play MVC MKV's (made by MakeMKV), but as 2D. They do support half-res TB and SBS 3D formats as 3D however.

Re: an all-in-one box, I think it will happen... these Android boxes get closer with successive hardware releases, but it'll take a while. Maybe end of year to early next. Pivos' new XIOS may be that box, or OUYA 2.0, maybe. With HD audio and full 3D support, further out or not at all.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #7 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 606
I've given up on an All in One box that does everything well. I figure I'll always need multiple boxes to get the best of everything. So far nothing has come close to doing EVERYTHING well.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #8 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The biggest hurt on android boxes is the drivers. No one has ever put out a decent hardware/driver combo. Im hoping the ARM based sigma chip will meet the needs of us local playback people as all there other chipsets have while maintaining the online sources for streaming options. But its not do out till q4 of 2014

As for the NUC if you ran tmt or powerdvd you could get 3d but both of them are cinavia active. so you would have to run anydvd as well.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I've given up on an All in One box that does everything well. I figure I'll always need multiple boxes to get the best of everything. So far nothing has come close to doing EVERYTHING well.

I've also given up and went with TiVo (Roamio + Minis) for TV, iTunes and AppleTV for streaming to hand held devices and small TVs, and a HTPC for viewing 1:1 Bluray and DVD rips on my projector. I also purchased a Bluray player for viewing rentals because I got tired of fooling with the Bluray player software (TMT 5) on my HTPC.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have used every media player out there. MCE, SageTV, Roku, ATV, WDTV, popcorn hour, TVIX, XBMC. I finally found the one player that is simple to use, my wife can use it and any guest that comes over shouldn't find it hard.. and it is

ROKU 3

Simple as that! Its got : Neflix, AmazonVOD, Plex, CNN, IGN, Hulu plus. And now with my tablo tv I can access live local channels. What more do I need? Airplay would also be a nice touch, but twonky beam works ok.

Save your money, your headache and your time. Just get rokU!
post #11 of 15 Old 04-06-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

When I first joined the enthusiast crowd here for streaming a couple years back, I had high hopes that it would be a reality . . .
But it just never appeared. Each box released has one or two failings that keep it from that Unicorn status.

Do you think it will ever get there?
The myth of the single box that "does it all" will never be realized -- because the definition of "ALL" is different for just about every user who has his own list of must-haves. Even for boxes that are designed to do just one thing, there are few who will say it is perfect for what it does. There is simply no pleasing all users and often it looks like there is no pleasing any users. No matter how good something is there is always something more it should do.
Phrehdd likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #12 of 15 Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

I have used every media player out there. MCE, SageTV, Roku, ATV, WDTV, popcorn hour, TVIX, XBMC. I finally found the one player that is simple to use, my wife can use it and any guest that comes over shouldn't find it hard.. and it is

ROKU 3

Simple as that! Its got : Neflix, AmazonVOD, Plex, CNN, IGN, Hulu plus. And now with my tablo tv I can access live local channels. What more do I need? Airplay would also be a nice touch, but twonky beam works ok.

Save your money, your headache and your time. Just get rokU!

Roku isn't the best solution for everyone. Specially if you have want HD audio. Furthermore, Roku has the worse interface for Plex. So far, I use a Dune D1 for my 2D rips, my TV is a smart tv for Netflix, and I use a Sony S5100 for 3D movies. My kids are pretty much the ones who watch 3D mainly, but most of the time we watch 2D movies.
Phrehdd likes this.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #13 of 15 Old 04-08-2014, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I'll have to agree there is presently no really good "all in one" box out there that fits everyone's needs.

Between my TV, TiVo Roamio and Oppo Blue Ray player - I can pretty much stream everything including locally stored media files sitting on a NAS or via DAS. Most of the heavy lifting is done by my Oppo and it works quite well. I only resort to my TV for Amazon Prime and rarely bother with the TiVo for anything other than its main purpose - Tuner plus recording. I do have a Mac Mini with Ubuntu and XBMC installed that I use when I have guests for movies. They like the interface and choosing a movie with the terrific front end XBMC has to offer.
GusGus748s likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-08-2014, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

I'll have to agree there is presently no really good "all in one" box out there that fits everyone's needs.

Between my TV, TiVo Roamio and Oppo Blue Ray player - I can pretty much stream everything including locally stored media files sitting on a NAS or via DAS. Most of the heavy lifting is done by my Oppo and it works quite well. I only resort to my TV for Amazon Prime and rarely bother with the TiVo for anything other than its main purpose - Tuner plus recording. I do have a Mac Mini with Ubuntu and XBMC installed that I use when I have guests for movies. They like the interface and choosing a movie with the terrific front end XBMC has to offer.

I'm thinking of giving Raspberry Pi a try for the XBMC for my master bedroom. I wish it had HD audio support.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #15 of 15 Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I'm thinking of giving Raspberry Pi a try for the XBMC for my master bedroom. I wish it had HD audio support.

You like a fun project to be sure. I would suggest you check out (if you have not already) XBMC forums that focus on the Raspberry Pi to see the pros and cons. Perhaps a NUC might be a good fit as a step up?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page