Need Help Choosing A Router - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm signing up with a Cable ISP and they require that I use their modem.
I'll be needing a router for 2 PS3s & 2 PS4 gaming consoles & a PC. I also need wireless for a laptop & a tablet.
I would like something easy to set up which doesn't require frequent resets & is good for online gaming & voice chat.
Are there any particular routers you can suggest?
I'm looking for a one and done set up, no elaborate control schemes, just for me & my Brother playing games & media streaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 78

You can purchase your own cable modem if you don't want to rent one-just check your cable's website to make sure you get one that's compatible with theirs.

If your current router supports all your devices now, then you simply connect the cable modem to your router. You may need to instruct the cable co to put the modem in bridge mode when activating service for your router to function this way.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 04-05-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

We canceled our internet recently & I'm going to get it back soon.
My ISP now will require me & everyone signing up to use only their Modem. They could be BSing me.
I currently have & been using this Modem/router Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless N Cable Modem.
Can I bypass the modem portion & just us it as a router?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I have Comcast. Their gateway is set to bridge mode, and plugged into the router I had before getting Comcast internet. The router does all the work. What cable company are you going to use? Check their website and search for Equipment. Check and see if your Motorola modem will work. If it's listed, you can use yours instead of renting one.

They're not com-tastic!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

It's Charter but they're saying I can't sign up without using their modem. They're not going to charge me for it but I do have to turn it in whenever I cancel. I can use any router I want but I have to take their modem.
This way I have to pay installation fee. They say it's so they can troubleshoot better for customers & that they are going to minimum 60Mbps in May or June. I think they're just trying to keep everyone from cancelling & signing back up under promotion.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like gouging the customer, not allowing self installation of the modem. Cable from wall into modem, ethernet from modem to router or pc, insert cd into pc-if there is one, and call in to activate. What's so complicated that they need to send out a tech to do that?

They're not com-tastic!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

I think it's more of a deterrent for people like me who call after their 12 month promo price ends & threaten to cancel. They always offered to lock me back into the promo price for another year. This time I had to actually cancel.
I think they believe that if you have to turn in equipment or get charged when you cancel plus pay an installation fee for a modem then I won't threaten to cancel. Maybe they're just punishing me because they always try to get me to take TV & phone & I say "NO" I just want NET. They did say that they're going to 60Mbps minimum in the next few months.
Maybe it's because I was getting great speeds with my Modem Router combo. IDK.
I'm just going to use my current router & hope it plays nice with whatever BS modem they give me.

Me & my Brother live together & split the bill so we are just going to cancel every year when promo ends and sign up under the different name. Just flip flop names every year lol. That's the plan anyway, because that's when they really start gouging, when promo ends they can basically charge what they want. They're the only cable internet service in my area. Sucks but I guess it could be worse. At least their not capping.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got an Amped RTA15 and it's been really good for streaming. No buffering on my devices. I can even walk down the road and watch netflix or stuff on my PLEX server. He he. neighbors are jealous.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by maul528 View Post

It's Charter but they're saying I can't sign up without using their modem. They're not going to charge me for it but I do have to turn it in whenever I cancel. I can use any router I want but I have to take their modem.
This way I have to pay installation fee. They say it's so they can troubleshoot better for customers & that they are going to minimum 60Mbps in May or June. I think they're just trying to keep everyone from cancelling & signing back up under promotion.
Most (company assigned) modems are now controllable from their central station and they do it through the registered MAC address. Also, the MAC address of the machine is usually registered in their database for extra security. If the modem is actually part of their system, they usually supply it without charge.... and it sounds exactly like that's what's going on.

Not withstanding, it IS hard on them to issue proper customer service when everybody is using completely different equipment.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

I went with an ASUS RT-N66U wireless N-900 router. Charter is coming out Monday morning & I'm locked in with promo price $40/month for a year (30Mbps/3Mbps).