Wifi-Only Network Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current network setup is with a Comcast modem-->Apple Router(which I can only extend Apple networks with)-->Xbox/HTPC/NAS/PC. However, I'm moving into a building that has free apartment Wifi, which averaged 10 down, 3 up which is perfectly fine for my uses and the $70/month savings.

I'm trying to figure out how to keep all of my hardware hard-wired since watching movies over ethernet is the best choice possible but also make sure I distribute the Wifi connection to each device. Is the only solution to purchase a Wifi dongle for each device and then hard-wire the devices together somehow to share/stream files?

What about purchasing a router that receives the Wifi signal and sends it over the ethernet?

Just looking for the best option. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-20-2014, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 48

Personally I am a big fan of Wired Networks and only use wireless for my portable devices for many reasons. With that in mind Wireless "N" is pretty good and the newest standard "AC" is going to be even better but still not as good as wired in my book.

Anyway what you need is an Wireless "Bridge" which will allow you to connect a wired network to a Wireless Network a lot of wireless routers have this options / mode. If the new place isn't wired for Ethernet in the rooms your devices are in then another option is Powerline Adapters, they have gotten to be very good, fast and reliable in most cases you can get a pretty good speed but keep in mind that the bandwidth is "Shared" between the devices which if you are moving large files around on a regular basis might be an issue.

post #3 of 3 Old 04-24-2014, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You would need to get a range extender but those halve your bandwidth. Since they need to pass packets back to and fro the router.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page