Looking for media player/streamer suggestions again... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mrsfixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The folks here were helpful when I was looking for a simple media player for my bedroom a couple of years ago. Because of recommendations here I wound up with a Micca EP600 and it was absolutely the right choice for my needs. :-)

Ok, I'm still a home theater audio video luddite, but I'd like a media player for the living room now.

I've got a plain-jane 39" Insignia LCD tv, which isn't connected to anything but my old dvd player. I'd like to be able to play video files from thumb drives/flash cards like in the bedroom. The Micca plays absolutely everything, I need that capability.

I might, sometime in the future, want to subscribe to services like Netflix or Hulu. It would also be nice to be able to browse the web for free sites that show documentaries and such.

I watch stuff on that tv using my tablet right now, but the lack of a remote is a pain. I really do NOT want to use a PC for this, an HTPC is overkill for my needs.

My choices- get a "smart tv" that can access the internet and play media files like some of the Samsung models, or find a media streamer box that can do both, if one exists. From what I've been reading, these boxes seem to do either/or, but not both- not well, anyway.

What I need:

A REMOTE!!!

MUST play ALL formats like my Micca does.

MUST have a remote with a subtitle button, as I like to watch foreign films.

Be nice if it supported both srt and idx/subs, and was able to adjust color, position and size of the subs like the Micca.

MUST have usb ports for attaching a thumb drive with media files. I don't need something with a built-in hard drive- overkill.

An ethernet port would be good rather than just relying on wifi for browsing.

Able to access online services like Netflix.

Price range for a media streaming box- maybe $100-200 or thereabouts? Flexible on price.

I would just like some suggestions from you folks, as you guys know this stuff and I'm clueless. confused.gif

Any and all help much appreciated!

Thanks,
Candice
mrsfixit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Go to the Western Digital site and take a look at the WDTV Live streaming media player.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Member
 
barber76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was going to suggest DN2820FYKH NUC kit, though it IS a PC, but... If you put Ubuntu on it, you'll need hacks to watch Netflix. Otherwise you have to add Windows and this gets you out of price range... So yeah, WDTV Live streaming.
barber76 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mrsfixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Go to the Western Digital site and take a look at the WDTV Live streaming media player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barber76 View Post

I was going to suggest DN2820FYKH NUC kit, though it IS a PC, but... If you put Ubuntu on it, you'll need hacks to watch Netflix. Otherwise you have to add Windows and this gets you out of price range... So yeah, WDTV Live streaming.

The WDTV Live is one of the ones I have been looking at. There are also a couple of KDLinks players with specs that look good.

I did read some complaints that the WDTV was limited in formats and codecs of the files it would play. Do you know if that is true?
mrsfixit is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Member
 
jaykay0222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have both WDTV (live hub) and KDlinks. WDTV plays almost every format except 3d frame packed. It also doesn't do DTS-MA which KDlinks does

KDlinks doesn't have great UI and their apps suck

MUST play ALL formats like my Micca does. [check]

MUST have a remote with a subtitle button, as I like to watch foreign films.[check]

Be nice if it supported both srt and idx/subs, and was able to adjust color, position and size of the subs like the Micca.[check]

MUST have usb ports for attaching a thumb drive with media files. I don't need something with a built-in hard drive- overkill.[check]

An ethernet port would be good rather than just relying on wifi for browsing.[Not sure about browsing internet]

Able to access online services like Netflix.[check]

For $85 price tag, it is a no brainer.
jaykay0222 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit View Post

I did read some complaints that the WDTV was limited in formats and codecs of the files it would play. Do you know if that is true?
There is the WDTV Live and the WDTV Play.
The Live is the full feature media streamer that plays just about everything you can throw at it. That is the one I recommended. The WDTV Play is primarily an Internet streamer with some local file playback ability. It is limited in the formats it will play. You don't want that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay0222 View Post

WDTV plays almost every format except 3d frame packed. It also doesn't do DTS-MA which KDlinks does.
The WDTV Live has done DTS-MA since the Christmas update.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mrsfixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay0222 View Post

I have both WDTV (live hub) and KDlinks. WDTV plays almost every format except 3d frame packed. It also doesn't do DTS-MA which KDlinks does

KDlinks doesn't have great UI and their apps suck

MUST play ALL formats like my Micca does. [check]

MUST have a remote with a subtitle button, as I like to watch foreign films.[check]

Be nice if it supported both srt and idx/subs, and was able to adjust color, position and size of the subs like the Micca.[check]

MUST have usb ports for attaching a thumb drive with media files. I don't need something with a built-in hard drive- overkill.[check]

An ethernet port would be good rather than just relying on wifi for browsing.[Not sure about browsing internet]

Able to access online services like Netflix.[check]

For $85 price tag, it is a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

There is the WDTV Live and the WDTV Play.
The Live is the full feature media streamer that plays just about everything you can throw at it. That is the one I recommended. The WDTV Play is primarily an Internet streamer with some local file playback ability. It is limited in the formats it will play. You don't want that one.
The WDTV Live has done DTS-MA since the Christmas update.

Wow, all of you recommend the WDTV Live. It sounds basic and simple enough to suit my needs, and the price is certainly right.

It's really great hearing from folks who actually *own* the product. The feedback is really helpful!

Thank you!
mrsfixit is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 354
You can pay a lot more than the $85 cost of the WDTV Live and get relatively little more in some features (i.e. addition of 3D) and a lot less in others (no streaming channels). The only real criticism of the WD Live over the years was its lack of support for DTS-HD. That was addressed in the Christmas firmware update which added DTS-HD bit-streaming.

The addition of DTS-HD made the WDTV Live untouchable in its price class. You have to go upwards to $200 to get a streamer that adds support for 3D -- and generally doesn't have streaming channels. The other big thing is support. The WDTV Live has been out for several years and continues to receive support despite being a mature product -- WD has issued 16 firmware updates for the product since release, the last one on 12/10/13.

Yes, I am an admitted WDTV Live fan. I own several and have considered buying other more expensive models but never found their additional features compelling vs. their high price. Once DTS-HD support was added to the Live, I no longer seriously consider buying a pricier model (I have no interest in 3D).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mrsfixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You can pay a lot more than the $85 cost of the WDTV Live and get relatively little more in some features (i.e. addition of 3D) and a lot less in others (no streaming channels). The only real criticism of the WD Live over the years was its lack of support for DTS-HD. That was addressed in the Christmas firmware update which added DTS-HD bit-streaming.

The addition of DTS-HD made the WDTV Live untouchable in its price class. You have to go upwards to $200 to get a streamer that adds support for 3D -- and generally doesn't have streaming channels. The other big thing is support. The WDTV Live has been out for several years and continues to receive support despite being a mature product -- WD has issued 16 firmware updates for the product since release, the last one on 12/10/13.

Yes, I am an admitted WDTV Live fan. I own several and have considered buying other more expensive models but never found their additional features compelling vs. their high price. Once DTS-HD support was added to the Live, I no longer seriously consider buying a pricier model (I have no interest in 3D).

I don't need either 3D, or DTS-HD audio. Maybe some day I'll own a 3D tv, but not for the foreseeable future.

The WDTV Live sounds like a great player, and I've added it to my Amazon wish list. Next time I order from Amazon, which will be soon, I'm going to get it.

Thank you for the input. You and the other folks have provided a lot of helpful info.

Hey- when you ask a question of experts and the answer is unanimous- who am I to argue. The WDTV it is! lol

Thanks!
mrsfixit is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mrsfixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, done. I just ordered the WDTV Live from Amazon. smile.gif

I think it's going to be a good fit for my needs.

A big thank you to the folks who answered my questions and pointed me in the right direction. biggrin.gif
mrsfixit is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mrsfixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my WDTV Live yesterday, and I just set it up.

I'm stumbling around trying to learn how to use it, but so far this thing is sweet!

I'm streaming a cooking show live from one of the services. It also streams Shoutcast which I didn't know it did and which is a big plus for me! No more having to do that with my tablet. Woo hoo!

So far I am liking this box very, very much and am considering getting another one for the bedroom.

This was a very good choice for my needs and I thank the folks who responded to my question and recommended this player! :-)
mrsfixit is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off