Dear all members,
For the last 2 weeks, I am thoroughly following the reviews, articles, benchmarks related to HD transcoding. Actually I am planning to get a new i5 4570 (or 4670) system for 1080p transcoding. I am not interested in GPU assisted transcoding. My focus is on haswell based QuickSync assisted Handbrake.
I have observed that most benchmarks were not transparent about certain points -
1) What performance settings were used? I had tested a i5 2500k using QRF of 21, 'slow' preset and high profile. Found about 8.2 FPS!! So I guess these benchmarks either use 'faster' or even 'very fast' settings in their 'CPU only' tests.
2) Whether it is 1080i or p? And what was the target size. Sometimes they use iphone profile. But as a general rule, one should state the worst case, I mean, state the FPS for 1080p, without any scaling or resizing (even 720p would be fine, but should be clearly mentioned. The FPS for 1080p would be approx 3 times less).
3) What QuickSync performance settings were used? I heard that haswell supports 7 performance vs quality settings. Also never found if QS supports any other parameters.
4) What was the clip length? Many graphs depict the time in seconds, but forget to mention the clip length! So whats the point? Mentioning FPS rather could resolve this confusion.
5) A VITAL POINT part most reviewers miss is the SAMPLE IMAGE or CLIP. Without sample screenshots, how could one be convinced? Specially, when we are hearing that Haswell QS is BETTER that CPU based Handbrake conversion.
6) Again on processor side, most reviewers just use 4th gen. i7 or other latest CPUs. Reviews should focus on worst case. If not, at least on medium case. So 3rd Gen i5 or i3 should also be included.
I request you to pl. provide us with such an comprehensive comparison with will help many users like me, to settle all doubts for good. Thx so much in advance...
Bench mark? Never really paid attention to them.
Thx so much for prompt response. BTW, I guess 1:1 means same size, not same (real) time? By benchmark, I didn't demand anything very technical, but I (and other members for that matter) be benefited if we could just know the exact setting one use with QS, and few pair of screenshots for side-by-side comaprison.
Wishing you a nice weekend...