HELP! What To Do With New KEF X300A Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Guys...I just bought these active speakers from KEF. I am using them in the Bedroom...and I wasn't looking for ultimate fidelity or anything; so I was just going to use my WDTV Live, to stream Pandora...and/or my Comcast STB, for their Music Choice streaming, etc. I guess I should have looked a little more closely at the X300As...because they don't have any type of s/pdif; USB-in only (well...and a bullsh*t 3.5mm jack).

I thought I had it licked...and even though I hadn't planned to; I was going to steal one of my Squeezebox Touch, and run that through the USB-out (with EDO) into the X300As. But...there's kind of a known issue, with the X300As driver; and Linux alsa...and I'm not really interested in trying to "hack" it, because a) it's a bit over my head, and b) it doesn't appear it's even guaranteed to work.

The speakers are supposed to be amazing...though I've yet to hear proof of that, for lack of a proper source; so I'd like to keep them, and try to make it work (so please...no suggestions like, why don't you just buy Brand X instead wink.gif).

So...I'm trying to think of the best, possible solutions. I didn't really, want to have to go full-fledged "PC" here (though I need to talk to the KEF people, and see if that's almost a necessity...to accept the driver). So...can anyone think of an appliance; ala WDTV, PCH, Dune, etc...that would work here (the keys being, to do audio through USB-out and, likely to accept this driver)?

I guess Plan B is...if I have to build something; I could either 1) build the cheapest, smallest audio-only streamer...and use that; or 2) ditch the WDTV Live. and go ahead and build a box to do double-duty in this Bedroom location; audio and video. I'd need ideas, suggestions, and guidance on either; so I guess the point of this post...is just to get some feedback and brain-storming going, so I can weigh my options.

Thanks; I know I can count on this well-informed and helpful collection of enthusiasts. biggrin.gif

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-06-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 296
^^ OK, well...I just talked to the KEF guy. Very nice...but I think I knew more about this kinda of stuff, than he did. biggrin.gif

As far as officially "supported" (i.e. they can help me with); the company line is...Windows or MAC OS only.

So...it's back in your hands, AVS Media Server/Streaming group. Out of the box solution, or am I going to have to just drop a Win-based machine in here?

Thanks

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - X300A by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page