WDMyClound - Sony r550A - DLNA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I recently bought NAS drive for my home - WDMyClound. I copied movies with formats ranging from .avi, mp4 to m2ts and mkv. My SONY TV r550A is a certified DLNA and I could see my NAS drive.

Disadvantages found: It lists movies - but not all. mkv files are not displayed at all. I understood that my Sony TV cannot play all formats.

Now, I took the path of the integrating Plex to my environment. I installed Plex Media Server on my Dell laptop and added the videos stored on my NAS to the Plex library. I have a Roku3 which I got along with my TV. I installed Plex on Roku and linked it to the Plex Media Server on my laptop. Plex on Roku displays all the videos I added to the library and plays all of them.

Disadvantages found: My laptop has to be always on inorder for the Plex on Roku3 to connect to the Plex Media Server on my laptop to display and play the content. For whatever reason, the streaming is slow and pauses every 5 mins. I am assuming my laptop being slow is the reason, or could be not. I read from other forums that Plex on Roku3 is slow.

Now that I have this setup, how can I improve my setup to seamlessly play any video content from my NAS onto my TV?? What I did was not upto the best standards, and I need suggestions so as to set it up better.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 136
What NAS do you have?
Many will run Plex Server, then no need for a PC.
I use Synology 1813+ with excellent results.
Here's a list of supported devices.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tuddMDDk9KaCMDFc4cgG1kA/htmlview?pli=1
post #3 of 4 Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

WDMyCloud is my NAS. I purchased it 2 months back and cannot return it for Synology or similar. I rip my Blu-ray discs and most of them come around 8GB at 1080p resolution and the Plex on Roku3 is terribly slow in loading them at 8Mbps for 1080p. Could there be any performance tuning that I can do or any changes to the settings??

post #4 of 4 Old 05-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Plex does have a verity of settings for optimizing the stream based on bandwidth.
All devices are wired vs. wireless?
Gigabit network?
I'd make sure I test all the connections and insure your getting the expected performance.
Easyist way it to download a large file from the NAS to a PC/Mac and check you speed.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page