Help with AV and network setup in new home (1st post) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello - My home is currently being built and I am a novice when it comes to AV and home networks, so the information I've read on this forum has been more than helpful. Here is how I envision my home AV and network setup but need some help in what I need to buy to pull it off. There will be 26 Cat6 wires run down to a basement mechanical room from various rooms, along with 24 RG6 coax. The AVR (Denon 2313CI) modem, router, and Directv receiver will all be located in the basement. The family room, which has 3 Cat6 and 2 RG6, will have a 5.1 surround system attached to the Denon in the basement, controlled by RF to IR Universal Remote controller MSC-400. The PS4 will also be in the family room since the blue tooth remotes won't work if it's down in the basement with everything else. Questions:
1) I assume I will need HDBaseT single Cat6/HDMI baluns with 3D support for both the Family Room HDTV and PS4 for this setup to work, correct? I believe this leaves me with one extra Cat6 in the Family Room to either plug into the PS4 for internet or into the TV for internet (both have wireless capability too, not sure which one to plug in to ethernet). Will this setup work? Suggestions for the HDBaseT HDMI/Cat6 baluns?
2) What other networking equipment do I need? Goal is to run gigabit... Do I need a gigabit modem, router, and switch? If a switch, how many ports will I need, does it need PoE, does it need to be managed or unmanaged? I will also need to plug in the Denon, Sonos Connect, and Directv receiver located in the basement into the network as well.
3) Any suggestions for this setup or an alternate setup? Any specific brands or models of equipment that you would suggest?

Thank you in advance for any help, much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Are you running your cables thru conduits? To run at gigabit speeds, you'll need a gigabit router and switche(s) if your ISP provides that speed.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Are you running your cables thru conduits? To run at gigabit speeds, you'll need a gigabit router and switche(s) if your ISP provides that speed.

Unfortunately no conduits... Contractually I didn't have input into the how the wiring was put in, just in number of cat6 and RG6 and their locations.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Your questions are better posted and hopefully answered in the Home AV distribution forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/36/home-a-v-distribution
post #5 of 5 Old 05-08-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Your questions are better posted and hopefully answered in the Home AV distribution forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/36/home-a-v-distribution

Thank you, Matt. I moved the post over to the Home AV distribution forum per your recommendation.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page