im stumped!! why is this configuration not working over the other?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
i just ran cat5e cables all over my house and tested them all.
im trying to keep my wireless router on the 2nd floor and use its 4 ports for wired devices. but for some reason, the 4 ports wont work when i plug in a device from my basement.
i movr the router to the basement and viola the ports work. but i dont want my router down there. im guessing since all the cables work fine, something with the keystone jack is causing the problem? maybe the jack doesnt take input from the router and only takes input from the modem?? i dont know. any advice would be great. here are the pics of the working config and the non working config.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I would guess wires are crossed somewhere in the keystone and the router is capable of negotiating the issue while the BDP is not.

Bill
Old 05-09-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

I would guess wires are crossed somewhere in the keystone and the router is capable of negotiating the issue while the BDP is not.

Bill

its not just the blu ray. NOTHING connects using the configuration of the router on 2nd floor. i figure it must be the keystone but i tested it twice and all 8 lights go on. weird that the keystone works fine when the modem is plugged into it but doesnt work when the router is plugged into it.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

oh also i dont know if it makes a difference but my drawing is slightly off. the keystone is on the 1st floor side not the basement side
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I would go with you also have something not wired correctly I would pop all the jacks off and look at them again to make sure they all match.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. i think i'll replace the keystone with a female to female coupler and see if that works. then i'll know for sure that the keystone is the problem
Old 05-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is an A and B convention on the wiring and needs to follow the same throuought. (A and B have the blues and greens flipped). there is also a "crossover" format that is completely backwards. It sounds like the Xbox passes packets in either case and the blue ray is not.

There is usually two sets of labels for A and B one on the top of the jack and one set on the side.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroekerta View Post

There is an A and B convention on the wiring and needs to follow the same throuought. (A and B have the blues and greens flipped). there is also a "crossover" format that is completely backwards. It sounds like the Xbox passes packets in either case and the blue ray is not.

There is usually two sets of labels for A and B one on the top of the jack and one set on the side.
Thanks
I did notice this. I made sure to use B for the keystone jack and all the modular plugs i made.
The female to female coupler should arrive in the mail any day to replace the keystone jack. We'll see what happens