What to look for in a 4 bay NAS for streaming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There are so many choices. I want a 4 bay that will hold 4X2tb drives in raid 5. 95% of it's workload will be to store and stream MKV files to 2 Dune players. The other 5% will be to back up my sons school work on a weekly basis and a place for me to backup from this PC. So will any NAS do or is there some I should avoid? I'll be buying a empty box and using the new drives from this older work station.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Not all NAS's are created equally, and I say this having five, from four different manufacturers. First you have to establish your budget, for a four bay NAS it should be IMO between $400-600 this will give you a good amount of different models to choose from, this is without drives of course. What kind of network do you have in place? Is it 100MB or gigabit? What kind of network switches do you have or is it just a router? I currently stream MKV files from two of my NAS's, one is a QNap the other is a Synology, these are two brands I would recommend you look into. I have an older Netgear and an older Thecus, I would not recommend either of these brands, their network performance is not great and their interfaces are dated. Streaming does not involve encoding video as long as you don't plan on using Plex, if not then you don't need a very powerful CPU in the NAS. The more expensive models include dual network interfaces which is nice as you can bond them together to maximize network speed, but its a nice to have not a need to have. Some of the lower end models do not offer the 'hot swap' type of drive bays, again this is a nice to have not a need to have. Good luck with your shopping!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 282

For simple file serving virtually any model will more than handle the duty. One note: make sure the drives you use are supported by the vendor (on their approved list). Here's a decent 4-bay NAS for $219.. Fry's has it for $179 after rebate.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-Diskless-Attached-RN10400-100NAS/dp/B00BNI4CVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399858325&sr=8-1&keywords=readynas+104

Old 05-11-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_man View Post

I have an older Netgear and an older Thecus, I would not recommend either of these brands, their network performance is not great and their interfaces are dated.

The current Netgear/ReadyNAS units have a new OS and interface... not supported on the older hardware.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:39 PM

Thanks, I know they do, I have also heard from people who have them that they are still poor performers network wise in terms of speed, compared to the competition.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, I know they do, I have also heard from people who have them that they are still poor performers network wise in terms of speed, compared to the competition.

I have used them along with several other vendors. No issues at all. I use them with iSCSI for four recordings, various WMC extenders, XBMC streaming, etc all concurrently with zero issue. Benchmark, they certainly aren't the fastest... nor do they need to be in most cases.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:55 PM

I hear what you are saying, still my personal experience coupled with things like that fact Netgear abandoned older models running OS5 which they had said would be able to run OS6 and the really long rebuild times on some of their models, make me stay away, but that is just my opinion.

Here is an interesting article comparing various NAS models.

http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/nas
Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I hear what you are saying, still my personal experience coupled with things like that fact Netgear abandoned older models running OS5 which they had said would be able to run OS6 and the really long rebuild times on some of their models, make me stay away, but that is just my opinion.

Makes sense. I never saw the issue of not supporting OS 6 on the older models... at some point you have to move on. Also, OS 6 wasn't exactly a smooth roll out. For me I use a NAS simply as a file server and as such performance really isn't important. I don't care to trancode or run various apps which does require horsepower. I think the extra expensive can be better (and more simply) used elsewhere.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the rn104, just got my rebate too. Was on sale last month for 199 at frys, netgear processed rebate fastest ive ever had. As for performance I stream to two media'm players, blu-ray content. My a.c.ryan test network speed before it plays at file, lowest was 8MB/s up to 90MB/s. My old dnd-323, what a shame. Any faster and you will need a nas with I3 cpu. Network is all gigabit with mix or cat6 abd cat5e cabling. Alternatively I can file transfer from pc to pc at 300MB/s. Whats is slow is tr
Old 05-11-2014, 09:28 PM

Transfering files from one disk to another inside the nas and plugging external hd into nas and transfering files to the usb external. Rate picks up if you plug usb to pc. Seems like it transfers from usb to nas to pc then back to nas. Anyway, I like my unit. Performs as expected. I have two wd red nas drives 2tb each, and a small 80gb I had left.over for testing.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:31 PM

You cant transcode either, you need the I3 cpu based nas if u want that. I just bought some media players to transcode, I originally thought my smart tv's would read the files but too many problems, the media players make life easy