Noob question - moving DSL port - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14

So right now, the only port that works with my ATT Uverse router is located down in the kitchen next to the sink. This is a horrible location. I would like to move it to a closet in my office upstairs. The office has a phone jack but it doesn't work with the router. Could it be that there is just a filter on it?

How do I know which line I need to drop to get the router into the closet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Is the office line live? ARe there filters at other phone locations? When I had DSL I installed a whole house filter and ran a dedicated line to my modem, perhaps something like that was done in your setup. You'' have to investigate what makes the office connection different than the kitchen.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Probably the filter (provided the jack is connected).

On my DSL connection there is a filter in the basement where the main phone line comes in. This filter branches off to the phone jacks for the telephones and to the modem. In other words you're probably plugging into a jack that has been filtered for phones only. You will have to locate the filter and the line for the phone jack in the office. Disconnect the line from the "phone" junction bar and connect it to the "modem" side of the filter.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Thanks the the replies. I'll have to locate this junction box. I am in Texas and we do not have basements. I'm guessing it is on the back of my detached garage near the cable junction box.