Embarrassed to ask network help: Two on board nics, two different devices? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-13-2014, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I have a wireless Surfboard modem from my TW ISP.  I hardwire to 'net for my computer but have spare Netgear USB thumb modem?  I want to - I think - connect my Vizio TV to my ISP, but unwilling to use the "smart TV Yahoo" required setup.  And....while I'm quite sure I have not had a stroke - and a sincere apology to anyone reading these words who knows someone or has themselves had a stroke and think I'm making light of the subject -  I'm finding a huge gap in my networking skills and don't know if it's possible to run two network connections off the same computer but with one going to a different device or not.  Since I'm finding it to be a steeper learning curve than expected on finding out if I can just connect my computer to my Vizio with a DVI - mine is 'I' but I mostly see them without D or I but just D - to HDMI cable and play 3D from my hard drives and web or if I need to have a different cable, I'm spending more time reading his site (very informative and entertaining, so that's partly a win) and doing google searches, I'm watching more off my computer on my old analog set than watching any of my stuff on my new set via flash drives.

(I considered deleting this instead of posting as I feel it may be an incoherent mess, but then countered it may just be tiredness.  Either way it took a while to type, so laugh, cry, be witty or helpful.  After all, if you can't be self-defacating, you have no business talking **** about someone else.  I think that's how that goes...   :D )   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-13-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon665 View Post

I have a wireless Surfboard modem from my TW ISP.  I hardwire to 'net for my computer but have spare Netgear USB thumb modem?  I want to - I think - connect my Vizio TV to my ISP, but unwilling to use the "smart TV Yahoo" required setup.  And....while I'm quite sure I have not had a stroke - and a sincere apology to anyone reading these words who knows someone or has themselves had a stroke and think I'm making light of the subject -  I'm finding a huge gap in my networking skills and don't know if it's possible to run two network connections off the same computer but with one going to a different device or not.  Since I'm finding it to be a steeper learning curve than expected on finding out if I can just connect my computer to my Vizio with a DVI - mine is 'I' but I mostly see them without D or I but just D - to HDMI cable and play 3D from my hard drives and web or if I need to have a different cable, I'm spending more time reading his site (very informative and entertaining, so that's partly a win) and doing google searches, I'm watching more off my computer on my old analog set than watching any of my stuff on my new set via flash drives.

(I considered deleting this instead of posting as I feel it may be an incoherent mess, but then countered it may just be tiredness.  Either way it took a while to type, so laugh, cry, be witty or helpful.  After all, if you can't be self-defacating, you have no business talking **** about someone else.  I think that's how that goes...   biggrin.gif  )   

My mother has Alzheimer's. It's sometimes even worse trying to figure out what she's saying. No fault of hers..... or yours.

You can run different networks from a computer, but not at the same time. With that being said though, I don't think you HAVE to go through yahoo smart tv.

I believe what you are saying when you say " Netgear USB thumb modem" is actually a wireless usb adapter. Does your tv have wireless ability?
post #3 of 3 Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

My mother has Alzheimer's. It's sometimes even worse trying to figure out what she's saying. No fault of hers..... or yours.

You can run different networks from a computer, but not at the same time. With that being said though, I don't think you HAVE to go through yahoo smart tv.

I believe what you are saying when you say " Netgear USB thumb modem" is actually a wireless usb adapter. Does your tv have wireless ability?

Thanks, words always seem to escape me.  I suspect it's often from lack of usage - I hope - but yes, my TV and ISP issued router has wireless ability and while I have one computer in another room setup to use it along with its firewall and antivirus, I'm leery about using it myself.  I know from just using Yahoo, they blow so many ads and flash at me, I've got it neutered on my machine to virtually nothing but text.

My Gigabyte motherboard has two onboard network connections for LAN and know I can plug into either one directly and access the net, but until now, I've never needed to know if both could be used at the same time to access two separate devices.  I had been planning on buying this set for close to a year and then suddenly skipped a couple of steps ending up in me getting it quicker than I learned about a few things I'm working to find out and understand now.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page