Streaming FLAC from Mac Mini to DAC using iPhone remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-21-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There may be an obvious answer to this question, but I haven't had luck finding it, so I thought I'd ask. I'm trying to transition away from Squeezebox and into a system whereby I play my FLAC files on a dedicated Mac Mini, which is connected by its audio output jack to a DAC, which in turn plays through my receiver. My goal is to be able to control the playback on the Mac Mini using an iPhone app with a graphical interface, the way I used to with Logitech Media Server and the Squeezebox app. The question is: what program can I run on the Mac Mini that has a companion iPhone app that will let me do this? I've tried Plex, but it seems like it only allows you either to stream music from your computer to your phone (not what i want to do) or control the player on your computer using an interface that displays on your TV. I don't want to navigate through my TV; I just want the songs to show on my iPhone, be able to select what I want to hear, and have it play through the DAC/receiver. It seems like a straightforward thing, but I haven't been able to figure out the bed way to do it. Does anyone have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-21-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
JRiver Media center and JRemote app.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
curious why you're transitioning from SB? I know you can't buy new hardware, but there are other ways to rig up a SB player. Love the system and ipeng control.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

I heard they are withdrawing support for Squeezebox, and I no longer need it anyway since I can just run my dedicated computer directly into the DAC without the need to run the music through another device. There just doesn't seem to be a simple, free remote app that will do what I want it to. It seems like there should be. All I'm really trying to do is be able to operate the player running on the computer with an app on my phone. I realized after my post that Plex actually does work for this, but it layers on all kinds of unnecessary sorting and display functions that overcomplicate the whole thing and lack the simplicity and ease of use of the Logitech Media software.

I do still have my Squeezebox set up through an ethernet connection, so I can always just continue using it. It just seems like there should be an easier way. I've heard of JRiver, but don't you have to pay $50 for it?
post #5 of 10 Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Who needs squeezebox support? Are you talking about Internet services like Pandora? For local music, there's no reason it shouldn't work until there's an incompatible OS on your server. Updates to LMS continue to come.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

I'm talking about FLACs stored on a hard drive connected to my computer that I just want to play on the computer using a controller app on my phone, without the need for a monitor. Playing them through a Squeezebox device adds an unnecessary step to this. I'm not saying the Squeezebox doesn't work (it does) or that it won't continue to work; I just want to eliminate redundant devices and wiring from the setup. I guess if it's impossible I'll just keep the Squeezebox, but it seems odd that there wouldn't be numerous free products out there that do this. And, eventually the Squeezebox unit will run out of steam and there is no product available to replace it. See what I mean?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

When the SB dies it can be replaced with an I device running ipeng player software, run through a dock like the ipure. If you already have an old I device it is <$100
post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbrown View Post

I'm talking about FLACs stored on a hard drive connected to my computer that I just want to play on the computer using a controller app on my phone, without the need for a monitor. Playing them through a Squeezebox device adds an unnecessary step to this. I'm not saying the Squeezebox doesn't work (it does) or that it won't continue to work; I just want to eliminate redundant devices and wiring from the setup. I guess if it's impossible I'll just keep the Squeezebox, but it seems odd that there wouldn't be numerous free products out there that do this. And, eventually the Squeezebox unit will run out of steam and there is no product available to replace it. See what I mean?
Problem is Apple products and free (includes being free from Apple's restrictions as well as costing nothing) software don't really go together. Most of those options are Windows, Linux and Android based.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-25-2014, 04:33 AM

Liked: 13
I know you said FLAC, but since you have Apple stuff why not convert the FLAC to Apple lossless and use iTunes with the Apple Remote app? The remote app lets you select your computer running iTunes and play anything in your library to the audio port. No TVs or monitors needed. I don't have a DAC, but I just tried it out with my computer speakers and it works. There are two drawbacks:

1. Some dislike iTunes for various reasons.
2. Converting FLAC to Apple Lossless. This was quick and easy for me using dBpoweramp.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbrown View Post

I heard they are withdrawing support for Squeezebox, and I no longer need it anyway since I can just run my dedicated computer directly into the DAC without the need to run the music through another device. There just doesn't seem to be a simple, free remote app that will do what I want it to. It seems like there should be. All I'm really trying to do is be able to operate the player running on the computer with an app on my phone. I realized after my post that Plex actually does work for this, but it layers on all kinds of unnecessary sorting and display functions that overcomplicate the whole thing and lack the simplicity and ease of use of the Logitech Media software.

I do still have my Squeezebox set up through an ethernet connection, so I can always just continue using it. It just seems like there should be an easier way. I've heard of JRiver, but don't you have to pay $50 for it?
J River is 50 bucks but free for 30 days so you can try it out and see if you can get it to do what you want. The problem is that Apple will not play FLAC files without some sort of software to convert. TimA gave some good advice. If you are going to be using the mini to play everything convert to ALAC there is no difference between that and FLAC. If you don't want to convert try Media Monkey. Plays just about anything but I don't know if the free version includes app support.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page