Inexpensive streaming solution? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-08-2014, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My family has an older 50 inch rear projection LCD (sony kdf-50e2000) and we'd like to be able to stream online content to it. Specifically I'd like a solution that allows any stream I could watch on my pc, not just the major ones like netflix. It also needs to be pretty easy to use as my parents are not so great with technology.

I had attempted to use a laptop we have, but as it is older it doesn't have hdmi, only vga. I got a vga to hdmi converter box (which had good reviews) which sort of works, but things moving on the screen have a glowing outline, and the TV complains about an invalid signal.

Can anyone give any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-08-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidheartd View Post

My family has an older 50 inch rear projection LCD (sony kdf-50e2000) and we'd like to be able to stream online content to it. Specifically I'd like a solution that allows any stream I could watch on my pc, not just the major ones like netflix. It also needs to be pretty easy to use as my parents are not so great with technology.

I had attempted to use a laptop we have, but as it is older it doesn't have hdmi, only vga. I got a vga to hdmi converter box (which had good reviews) which sort of works, but things moving on the screen have a glowing outline, and the TV complains about an invalid signal.

Can anyone give any recommendations?

Won't give you everything that a PC can find but the rokus have TONS of content and are super simple to use........
post #3 of 8 Old 06-08-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post

Won't give you everything that a PC can find but the rokus have TONS of content and are super simple to use........

I'll take harder to use if that's the only way to watch whatever we want.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-08-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72

What do you stream other than the already mentioned Netflix? It would help narrow down devices posters could suggest. 

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:

I'll take harder to use if that's the only way to watch whatever we want.
The only way to do that is another PC. The commercial streaming boxes like RoKu or Fire TV all have some number of programmed in streaming channels -- some free, some are subscription. Go to the RoKu website and the Fire TV website and look through the list of streaming channels they supply. If all your needs can be met by one of these boxes, this would be a way to go.

Otherwise, if you want the total freedom to go to any website of your choosing and stream whatever content or clips you find then you need a PC with a browser. You can try to pick up a cheap laptop with HDMI output or build your own HTPC. Anything else will be a compromise.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72

I got this in an Amazon email today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IT1WJZQ/ref=pe_824040_119414510_pe_epc__1p_0_lm#productDetails

I don't have any experience with it, and you'll need a blutooth keyboard, but, it just might be what you need. The question is whether network sites will be compatible. The Chrome browser on pcs can, but I can't find anything in the brief searching I've done whether this device will as well.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #7 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The only way to do that is another PC. The commercial streaming boxes like RoKu or Fire TV all have some number of programmed in streaming channels -- some free, some are subscription. Go to the RoKu website and the Fire TV website and look through the list of streaming channels they supply. If all your needs can be met by one of these boxes, this would be a way to go.

Otherwise, if you want the total freedom to go to any website of your choosing and stream whatever content or clips you find then you need a PC with a browser. You can try to pick up a cheap laptop with HDMI output or build your own HTPC. Anything else will be a compromise.

Any recommendations you can make on a laptop for this?

post #8 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:

Any recommendations you can make on a laptop for this?
Sorry, I can't. I don't have any familiarity with laptops. Perhaps someone else can suggest a reasonable one.

Personally, I would never use a laptop as a HTPC. Not that it wouldn't work, I just prefer to build my boxes with a bit more muscle.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page