Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gogent

post #1 of 5 Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I would like to be able to stream mkv files from my pc via wireless.  I don't do netflix or other streaming services.  Which would you guys recommend.  I'm thinking about the one below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-Western-Digital-TV-Live-Streaming-Media-Player-WDBHG70000NBK-WDBGXT0000NBK-/261189256869?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item3cd017c6a5

WhiteSands likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No matter which solution you go with, doing anything wireless is bound to frustrate you. The very nature of wireless includes latency, something that affects streaming in the form of delays due to buffering, stuttering of the picture or poor picture quality. You might get anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes of uninterrupted streaming, but then it will pop up. If there is anyway you can hard wire, I would suggest doing so over wireless, even with the best wireless routers, its near impossible to escape problems.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-09-2014, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
The very nature of wireless includes latency, something that affects streaming in the form of delays due to buffering, stuttering of the picture or poor picture quality.
That's bad advice, not all wireless implementations have that problem...I've seen poorly designed Ethernet works have similar symptoms...and wireless does not have inherent latency in it...crappy APs do! I pull 100Mbps easily through my wireless AP with no latency or problems using 802.11n...I don't recall the last time I had a problem watching even my ripped bluray through my wireless networks.

As for the OP's question, I'm not familiar with WD, but I do stream my mp4 files to my Chromecast and Roku wirelessly with no problems, I beleive the WD will be fine, but there are dedicated WD post in this forum you may want to review.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_man View Post

No matter which solution you go with, doing anything wireless is bound to frustrate you. The very nature of wireless includes latency, something that affects streaming in the form of delays due to buffering, stuttering of the picture or poor picture quality. You might get anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes of uninterrupted streaming, but then it will pop up. If there is anyway you can hard wire, I would suggest doing so over wireless, even with the best wireless routers, its near impossible to escape problems.

Agreed, if there is any way to run a wire, please do so. You will save yourself so much headache.

Are there implementations of wireless that work? Of course, but even when I have been able to set up systems that were able to playback smoothly, it still had problems with response times; FF/Rew are just nasty over wireless at any speed.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I own several WD units and several Rokus. For streaming from a computer the WD wins hands down, no comparison. The Roku is not setup to do that and you have to use secondary apps to accomplish what the WD does out of the box. With the WD you give p hundreds of nitch channels but the big ones are there.

As for wireless streaming if the files are relatively small like a DVD quality file it should be fine, anything HD odds are will be quite problematic. Best if wired, second I'd opt for MOCA or Powerline and as a last resort I'd go wireless.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming