How to Setup & Configure Internet Comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-08-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

hi there,

I have 2 desktop running winXP both are wired ethernet ports via a hub LAN.

how to setup and configure internet connection across the Ethernet ports (wired cable between 'cable modem' and 'Hub Lan')

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-08-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 366
First get rid of XP it's no longer supported and vulnerable to attack

also these may help answer your question
http://www.howtogeek.com/99001/htg-explains-routers-and-switches/

http://www.howtogeek.com/174419/how-to-reuse-your-old-wi-fi-router-as-a-network-switch/

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Whoa...way wrong forum, best to contact Comcast if you want to know how to setup your computers for Internet. This forum is dedicated to Network/Internet streaming devices.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the link

post #5 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

i did call comcast tech, they said i have to look for third party for the trouble shooting. the techsup is not helping at all. tha'ts sucks

i will definitely will look for other alternative provider in the near future.

I only ask the same question as i posted on the above.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Without a router ,ethernet or wifi connected , and having only a hub , only ONE computer will connect to the internet the other one will not but they can both otherwise share files locally OTOH if your cable modem has a router you can connect them both to the internet and set network permissions/ or not and still have them both connected to the web. If your modem does not have a router you will need a router behind the modem

IF the stuff I typed below does not cover it (it should) You should be able to find out everything you need at How to Geeks ,Toms Hardware .or maybe try Bleeping Computers ,or DSL Reports ,those are the appropriate forums for these topics networking is a lengthy topic for this thread in general and not knowing your devices and software /firmware or exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish here makes it difficult . If your Comcast service included a self install kit those are easy just take it one step at a time ..otherwise you will need to manually configure your cable modems ip address and network settings in an elevated CMD window to connect another computer to a router . unless you are logged in to a connected routers/settings page (preferred method) with the computer you are trying to connect .

Again you can only connect a second computer or device to the web with a router whether it is one integrated with your modem (some are ,some are not with Comcast ) or a separate router behind the modem.

like this , Internet (coaxial cable in your case ) > modem .gateway > ethernet cable from modem to Router> 2 PC's either ethernet or wifi ,or one of each ! IF your Modem has a router plug both ethernet cables into the modem/router or establish a wifi connection with either or both computers
(you will need your network name and security password for wifi ) ,usually on a sticker on the modem ,or provided to you by your isp and or the installer or on your router page.

Something like this log into to the Comcast gateway at http://192.168.0.1. IIRC with the PC you are trying to connect IF you are trying to connect to an integrated Comcast modem/router I think the default password is "1234". On the Comcast set up page OR you should have one or it's on the gateway router along with the default wifi security key. Otherwise log into your stand alone router set up page.

After you save the settings, you *may need to release and renew DHCP on your PCs or PC if using wifi, maybe not? but try it first .

If you need your modems or routers ip address and network settings you can find it on a connected PC using a command window and typing in " ipconfig_/all " at the command prompt then depress enter/ret key OR by logging into your router page or your isp settings page .
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f138/how-to-run-an-ipconfig-all-command-655357.html

Told ya this was a lengthy subject !

OH one more thing you may need to ,

Check your network settings (Windows XP)
Click Start and select Control Panel
Select "Network Connections"
Right click on the "Local Area Connection" icon and select Properties
The "Properties" window should display a ticked item - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Highlight this option and select "Properties"
Ensure the following are both checked:
"Obtain an IP address automatically"
"Obtain DNS server address automatically"
Select OKthen OK again

TBH I would rather be doing something else biggrin.gif........... like having a cold one!

It's not your ISP's responsibility to configure a wired Lan or any Lan for you only to connect the gateway / modem/ router and one PC unless you have another arrangement or business acct. .

sometimes on a service call or install they* may assist you with a second PC or other device on wifi but only if there is a Comcast integrated wifi router present but they aren't necessarily required to except for TV/phone if you have those services also .

Going wireless with a router or your existing modem if it is wifi ready and 2 USB wifi sticks would automate much of that and also allow you to share files if need be .

Unless you are sharing large files on a lan frequently you can otherwise *usually videostream fine on wifi . I have 3 PC,s a server and 4 TV /ROKU/PS3 etc on my wireless lan . 2 TV's are streaming Netflix HD movies and one is on line gaming (PS3) at the moment on wifi .
if you are not moving/ sharing large files locally you can toss the ethernet hub .

Again , you should not be using XP anymore on the web even behind a firewall unless you have a supported enterprise SKU just saying .

IF you need to here is Comcast networking/router forum. http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/bd-p/10

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #7 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

removed

post #8 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Dear tubetwister,
I just subscribe a 3plys bundle a month a go, expecting to get an internet connection to run for browsing purpose only,
i do not intend to setup a complicated Lan or server configuration, i just need a simple connection to internet for 1 desktop.

yes i do have asus router .rt-n66u which is for connection to my laptop wirelessly., the router wired cable to cable modem

the problem is both desktops do not have a Wireless adapter, both are wired using Ethernet cable to a small switch hub (netgear that has 4 ports)
for data transport (#1 as main station(hub) and #2 as secondary). if i get a wireless adapter, m afraid it will conflict with the installed adapter.

my point is i only need to connect one pc to internet , that would be fine. and is that simple.

I try to run a Ethernet cable from cable modem port connect to any hub port (netgear) , i also try from router port to switch/hub port, i guess i was wrong.
it did not work out that way. i think I plug in to the wrong port thooough. will try another way tommorrow.

still searching and Google to solve my problem

yes i know about wiinXP, but i can't change it right now, since i just bought Pos system about 8 month ago. it has a pre-installed program from the vendor,
if i want to ugrade, they will charge a fee again. it will cost a couple hundreds plus license.
since i will use for browsing only, occasionaly and i also install NAV (free from comcast up to 3Pc's) i guess that will be suffice.
and i will use sandboxie+firefox+noscript+better rprivacy+ abp adblock ..... a little bit paranoid perhaps.. but for safety ,

thank you for your long explanation though.
appreciate your time..
post #9 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

These are good easy to set up http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291161738056?lpid=82 twice as much at Best buy
why is a vendor still selling XP boxes these days , bummer mad.gif XP to win 7 upgrade install should be easy ofc licence for 2 pc would be about $200.00.

Better off using Chrome and Avast free or AVG free than the free CrapaFee security suite memory and resource hog supplied by Comcast those are better usally than CrapaFee, F/F isn't bad but I prefer Chrome ,Chrome has build in Sandbox also

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page