Trying to Create my Own Cloud and Provide Access to Business Associates and Family and Friends as well. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new Asus RT- AC68U router, and an older WD MyBook Live. I am trying to create folders for certain groups to access with passwords, and other folders for the family. I keep running into configuration problems like "Application Blocked by Security Settings" and other annoying issues. I am thinking that the WD My Book Live is not the best tool for this. I've noticed that WD has a newer "My Cloud" that might work better for my situation, and was hoping that others here might be able to suggest a better way to accomplish my goals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-10-2014, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr View Post

I have a new Asus RT- AC68U router, and an older WD MyBook Live. I am trying to create folders for certain groups to access with passwords, and other folders for the family. I keep running into configuration problems like "Application Blocked by Security Settings" and other annoying issues. I am thinking that the WD My Book Live is not the best tool for this. I've noticed that WD has a newer "My Cloud" that might work better for my situation, and was hoping that others here might be able to suggest a better way to accomplish my goals.

Why not just set up a free Dropbox account that everyone can access?

If you are set on doing it inside of your network you might run in to issues with your ISP as they tend to block a lot of the ports that would be needed to access shares. Buying a newer device might help I bought a WD My Cloud and it was so slow that I couldn't deal with it but it seemed like it would do what you are looking for as it registers with the "Mother Ship" so getting past ISP Restrictions and firewall settings is a lot easier.

post #3 of 10 Old 06-10-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess I could use Dropbox or Google Drive, but then I'd have to pay for their storage, and I'd hoped to eliminate the middle man.. I didn't think my ISP would be too concerned because I don't expect a lot of traffic.

I guess My Cloud might be the way to go, but I'm concerned about the slowness you noticed with it. And what do you mean by "mothership"?
post #4 of 10 Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 54
You need to set up a VPN, but there are security issues there and you can get hacked if not done PERFECTLY. I second the idea of dropbox. Less of a chance to get hacked.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-10-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:

I guess I could use Dropbox or Google Drive, but then I'd have to pay for their storage, and I'd hoped to eliminate the middle man.. I didn't think my ISP would be too concerned because I don't expect a lot of traffic.

I guess My Cloud might be the way to go, but I'm concerned about the slowness you noticed with it. And what do you mean by "mothership"?

Dropbox is free for a personal account that you can share with others. They of course offer subscriptions as well so it will depend on how much storage you need.

As for the Mothership, the WD Cloud needs an account with Western Digital that your device registers with. This will open up the connection between your WD Device and the cloud to make things easier / you usually don't have to do much with your network like opening ports on your router / firewall. Of course now you are depending on their security which of course is a target since it is know that they are there for everyone and not just your cloud device.

A Lot of people seem happy with their WD Cloud Devices but even in my network I felt it was painfully slow but I was using it to back up my iPhone photos and the app was terrible / crashed all the time. Dropbox offers the same (again with their free account) and it worked so much better / much faster and installing drop box on multiple computers was a breeze and sharing items is a breeze.

Oh and your ISP more than likely blocks a ton of ports by default which prevents people from hosting their own websites / e-mail servers and things like that. I don't know about shares but keep in mind that your upload speed (unless you are lucky enough to have Google Fiber) is significantly slower than your download speed so even if you could set this up properly having people download anything other than small documents could be a painfully slow experience just because of your connection speed.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-10-2014, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Your last sentence made a lot of sense unfortunately. What about Plex Server? People seem pretty happy with it, but maybe have different needs.

My main concern with Dropbox is that aside from a bunch of great home videos, she continually asks me for movies that I ripped (from a purchased copy) a long time ago. I know it's unlikely, but I don't like the idea of a fight with the big powers.

Maybe I should forget the whole thing. To be honest, it just sounded like a fun project to try out.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-10-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Your last sentence made a lot of sense unfortunately. What about Plex Server? People seem pretty happy with it, but maybe have different needs.

My main concern with Dropbox is that aside from a bunch of great home videos, she continually asks me for movies that I ripped (from a purchased copy) a long time ago. I know it's unlikely, but I don't like the idea of a fight with the big powers.

Maybe I should forget the whole thing. To be honest, it just sounded like a fun project to try out.

Plex kind of works the same way, when you load the app on your system you have to open a port on your firewall. The Port isn't a standard one that is used for things like e-mail or web hosting so I haven't heard of any ISP's blocking it AND you can also set your own custom port to make it harder for people to find it on their own. From there the plex software will then register your system (aka Server) with the plex service / website (aka - Mother Ship) you can then send out "Invitations" to various people have say what you want to share with them. Once you do that the person you invite needs to set up a free account on the Plex Site and you can then access your content via a website or various apps for phones / tables and various other players like the new Amazon Fire TV. There is a way to do plex without using the mother-ship but that takes a little finagling and would not be something to easily set up for someone that isn't technical and would require the use of some kind of Dynamic DNS Service which isn't a big deal.

You will also run in to the issue of your upload speed again, i don't have a clue what you have for up / download speeds but you will need at least a very reliable 5mps upload for a single Plex Stream. Multiple Streams would require more and you can end up needing a pretty beefy system with a lot of CPU to Transcode the Video Files for use over the internet especially if the source is something like say Blu-Ray quality. 

I don't know what country you are in but keep in mind that it is very illegal to "Share" movies in the US so keep that in mind.

I can say you will almost certainly be disappointed with trying to "Stream" video from your home network without some kind of streaming application like Plex. You can certainly try it but streaming video from the My Cloud wouldn't work at all in my opinion unless of course you are just downloading the video for local playback. Of course that would work but streaming is pretty awesome and Plex is pretty simple to use / set up. I've set up a few different Plex systems for people and they love it!

I am assuming you want to keep these videos private? Otherwise you could just put them up on You Tube or even Vimeo which both have Free Versions and some level of security. I didn't realize you were just looking to do video. If you are then Plex is really a nice way to go but again you need to keep in mind what your upload speed is.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MY upload speed is 4.21. at the moment. Not sure that will suffice, but I will give it a try sending a Blue Ray movie to my Daugher. And Yes, most of what I want to send are BD format. Is it still legal if I already purchased the original and am simply streaming it to a family member? If so, and it's strictly enforced, then I may have to blow off the whole idea. It's not like there is going to be heavy traffic on my network. Just a few movies a week I'd guess. The work stuff are simply documents with an occasional low rez foto.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 12:31 AM

Lets just say the average Blu Ray Rip is 20GB in size, sure some are smaller but most are larger then that. I did a quick calculation and it says you would be looking at about 10 hours to copy with a 5Mb/Sec Connection going full speed.

Again assuming you are in the US there is a school of thought that says that you have every right to "Back Up" the movies that you purchase. The problem is how you accomplish that, do back up a movie you need to break the encryption which is against the law and the Movie industry is really cracking down on companies that sell software that do that, just look at what is happening with DVD Fab, they initially blocked the website which came back up with a .cn domain name and now they are offering a Crippled version of their software for anyone downloading from the US. This will NOT break the Blu-Ray Encryption anymore but still works for DVD. Of course there are other ways around this but again considered illegal.

That said will someone come knocking on your door if you are sharing a movie with a family member? Probably not, the movie industry is really looking for the people that are sharing ripped movies with the world and not just a family member / friend BUT that does not take away from the fact that it is considered illegal and could lead to some kind of legal action.

If you aren't in the US then it can be a whole different ballgame, I am told many other countries allow for copying and even sharing with family members of course it depends on the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr View Post
MY upload speed is 4.21. at the moment. Not sure that will suffice, but I will give it a try sending a Blue Ray movie to my Daugher. And Yes, most of what I want to send are BD format. Is it still legal if I already purchased the original and am simply streaming it to a family member? If so, and it's strictly enforced, then I may have to blow off the whole idea. It's not like there is going to be heavy traffic on my network. Just a few movies a week I'd guess. The work stuff are simply documents with an occasional low rez foto.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the great advice. I am in the US, and don't need that kind of stress. I think I'll just keep the "ripped" copies and send her the originals. It sounded like a fun project, but no reason to tempt fate. Btw, my BD rips were 4.3 gb and looked great.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page