Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

post #301 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 49
So, all of you that are following in imagic's foot steps........do you also get DDTHD & DTSMA when you view your content?
If the answer is no, then it is enough to keep ME away.....audio is half of the enjoyment.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Agreed on that point...

I have a unique advantage, my brother-in-law, my sister-in-law, my father-in-law, and my mother-in law are all lawyers. And my father-in-law is actually a fairly famous lawyer who works in NYC and deals with federal cases. Legal advice is always free and just a phone call away from me. That's why I suggest to other members that they do not brag about breaking copyright laws in public forums.
While that's understandable for people that are stealing content, I don't see the MPAA going after people ripping discs that they own anytime soon.

IF it's that big a concern then..

There are entire subforums here that are essentially dedicated to devices that allow people break copyright law along with dedicated threads for anything from ripping movies to MKV, jukebox management, and working with forced subtitles.

Looky here!
post #303 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
If I was a woman, I'd wear the heels, but I would pray that I was pretty enough that I didn't have to wear a lot of makeup. Then I would date a studio exec so that I could tell him, "Where's my 4K blu-ray? No 4K blu-ray, no sex!"

I'd make a terrible woman...
I will pay for your sex change.
post #304 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I've certainly seen a ton of hyperbole in the comments. The benefit of a UHD/4K Vudu/iTunes/Amazon streaming format is that it has the potential to beat Blu-ray's quality while offering the convenience of online purchase and earlier release dates.
Hey, if that's what happens, I'm all for it!

Here's a question: how will iTunes reformat all of their 1080p movies for 4K?

There's no way that the studios are going to spend the money to remaster their vast catalogues in 4K, when they barely even got through updating 1080p.

Even if it's not true 4K, I'll settle for better-than-BluRay, but how will they do it?
post #305 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
 Gee, I still have over 100 HD DVD's. I wonder what I will do with those?
I just so happen to know someone that would be happy to solve that problem for you.
post #306 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Meh.

Vudu costs too much for what you get.

I'd rather wait for Netflix to send me true, judder free 1080 24p with full surround sound for less cost.

-Suntan
post #307 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Agreed on that point...

I have a unique advantage, my brother-in-law, my sister-in-law, my father-in-law, and my mother-in law are all lawyers. And my father-in-law is actually a fairly famous lawyer who works in NYC and deals with federal cases. Legal advice is always free and just a phone call away from me. That's why I suggest to other members that they do not brag about breaking copyright laws in public forums.

Practicing law without a license is against the law. You should cease and desist from doing so on a public forum before you are turned into the bar.

Where is the case law that will prove your position? Seems to me there is none.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping

"United States[edit]

U.S. copyright law (Title 17 of the United States Code) generally says that making a copy of an original work, if conducted without the consent of the copyright owner, is infringement. The law makes no explicit grant or denial of a right to make a "personal use" copy of another's copyrighted content on one's own digital media and devices. For example, space shifting, by making a copy of a personally-owned audio CD for transfer to an MP3 player for that person's personal use, is not explicitly allowed or forbidden.

Existing copyright statutes may apply to specific acts of personal copying, as determined in cases in the civil or criminal court systems, building up a body of case law. Consumer copyright infringement cases in this area, to date, have only focused on issues related to consumer rights and the applicability of the law to the sharing of ripped files, not to the act of ripping, per se."

and

Opinions of ripping[edit]
Recording industry representatives have made conflicting statements about ripping.

Executives claimed (in the context of Atlantic v. Howell) that ripping may be regarded as copyright infringement.[13] In oral arguments before the Supreme Court in MGM Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd.', MGM attorney Don Verrilli (later appointed United States Solicitor General by the Obama administration), stated: "The record companies, my clients, have said, for some time now, and it's been on their Website for some time now, that it's perfectly lawful to take a CD that you've purchased, upload it onto your computer, put it onto your iPod. There is a very, very significant lawful commercial use for that device, going forward."[14]

Nevertheless, in lawsuits against individuals accused of copyright infringement for making files available via file-sharing networks, RIAA lawyers and PR officials have characterized CD ripping as "illegal" and "stealing".[13][15][16]

Asked directly about the issue, RIAA president Cary Sherman asserted that the lawyers misspoke, and that the RIAA has never said whether it was legal or illegal, and he emphasized that the RIAA had not yet taken anyone to court over that issue alone.[15]

Fair use[edit]

Although certain types of infringement scenarios are allowed as fair use and thus are effectively considered non-infringing, "personal use" copying is not explicitly mentioned as a type of fair use, and case law has not yet established otherwise.

and

Circumvention of DVD copy protection[edit]

In the case where media contents are protected using some effective copy protection scheme, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998 makes it illegal to manufacture or distribute circumvention tools and use those tools for infringing purposes. In the 2009 case RealNetworks v. DVD CCA,[19] the final injunction reads, "while it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally owned DVD on that individual's computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies."[20] This case made clear that manufacturing and distribution of circumvention tools was illegal, but use of those tools for non-infringing purposes, including fair use purposes, was not.

The Librarian of Congress periodically issues rulings to exempt certain classes of works from the DMCA's prohibition on the circumvention of copy protection for non-infringing purposes. One such ruling in 2010 declared, among other things, that the Content Scramble System (CSS) commonly employed on commercial DVDs could be circumvented to enable non-infringing uses of the DVD's content.[21] The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) hailed the ruling as enabling DVD excerpts to be used for the well-established fair-use activities of criticism and commentary, and for the creation of derivative works by video remix artists.[22] However, the text of the ruling says the exemption can only be exercised by professional educators and their students, not the general public.
TeflonSoul, elario and krips like this.

Last edited by J_Palmer_Cass; 06-12-2014 at 11:20 AM.
post #308 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by xvfx 
So UV and Vudu go under tomorrow, where are your movies??? Oh yeah, they are buried in a company that can go under at any time with no way for you to get to your investment.

I'll keep MY discs. You go ahead let someone else dictate during a storm if you can watch a show or not. I'll pop my house generator on, put in a Blu-Ray and keep on keeping on.

Given that Vudu is Walmart, it's not going anywhere regardless of the economy. That said, I'm pretty much right there with you. I l ike being able to watch my media without ever having to rely on outside service as I simply do not have faith in the unreliable infrastructure out here.
post #309 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 2277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Meh.

Vudu costs too much for what you get.

I'd rather wait for Netflix to send me true, judder free 1080 24p with full surround sound for less cost.

-Suntan
Two comments on that...

I rent from Vudu more than I buy, the quality is still top-tier and the price is decent.

And, Netflix is in not as good as Vudu HDX or iTunes HD or AMazon HD—that goes for sound and visuals.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #310 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by dolphinc 

You better hope Net Neutrality doesn't disappear, you'll be missing those disc's.

I already pay the toll to get good speed. Net neutrality doesn't currently exist, except as a gentleman's code in a world of thugs. As it stands, I never have issues streaming, and I get it's because I pay so much, law or no law. If I downgrade, there are issues, even though the lower tiers promise more than enough bandwidth for HD streaming, they don't deliver.

I do concur though, fast and reliable internet is a requirement if you stream. On the other hand, it's not like I refuse to ever buy a Blu-ray again. For a really good movie, I'll get the disc—especially if it comes with a UV code.

This is very similar to what I face where I am. I pay for the very top tier of service, so my ISP currently turns a blind eye to the fact that I regularly go over my allotted amount by 2-3 times every month. But, if I were to downgrade to a lesser tier that still advertises sufficient bandwidth for HD streaming, not only would I be getting crucified for exceeding my limit, but the promised speeds aren't really there consistently, and my service experience suffers.

I don't use UVVU to watch movies. But then, that hasn't stopped me from registering every UVVU code that comes with my new movies either.
post #311 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post
Can you say.... Blockbuster?

In 2004 BB had over 60,000 employees and 9000 stores. They filed for bankruptcy in 2010

There is really no such thing as mitigated risk. The best you can say is that it works at this moment in time
But the closure of BB in no way impacted anyone's ability to watch the discs they owned. Heck, until January 1st of this year, I was still able to get BB delivered to my home just like Netflix, except it was actually cheaper and had even more titles to choose from. Then Dish Network decided that BB needed to go 100% streaming through BB Movies on Demand, exclusively from Dish. So, no more BB for me.

But the closure of stores dedicated to physical media is not going to change how people are able to enjoy physical media. Right now there is still the kiosk option (Redbox, BB Express) or simply buying the media from a store like Best Buy or Fry's Electronics. Worst-case scenario, the discs can be bought from Amazon, you just have to wait 2 days for delivery.
post #312 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManFan View Post
Hey, if that's what happens, I'm all for it!

Here's a question: how will iTunes reformat all of their 1080p movies for 4K?

There's no way that the studios are going to spend the money to remaster their vast catalogues in 4K, when they barely even got through updating 1080p.

Even if it's not true 4K, I'll settle for better-than-BluRay, but how will they do it?
Vudu/iTunes won't be reformatting (as in upscaling) their existing 1080p films to create 4K. That would be fake 4K and if they do it and people catch on then they will have a huge problem on their hands. And, trust me, people would be able to tell. If you take 1080p that is already slightly below blu-ray, upscale it to 4K, then compress the hell out of it to fit it down the pipes, it will look significantly worse than an actual 1080p bluray that is upscaled to 4K by the display.

The only way to make streamed 4K look better than a 1080p Blu-Ray, is for it to be real 4K, i.e. mastered/remastered in 4K from source material that is 4K or better. That's why there is so little 4K content available to date. It's also why not having a physical format could be a death sentence for the format. Why would studios bother creating a home-friendly 4K version of a large selection of movies if the only people that will ever see them at home are those with 20 Mbps+ internet connections?

Adding a physical format would broaden their potential consumer base by about 800% in the short term. At that point, you don't even need the physical format to be that profitable in and of itself, so long as it isn't losing money hand over fist. The combination of physical and online 4K content would ensure the success of 4K, which means the electronics manufacturers make out like bandits. Why should the studios care about the electronics manufacturers? Because, in many cases, they are the same company. Also, they could continue to draw those who purchase 4K physical media more and more into the online model, where the profit margin is higher. Once people have had a taste of 4K, they won't want to go back to 1080p. If the only way to see 4K is via. online delivery, how are they going to give people their first taste?

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 06-12-2014 at 11:58 AM.
post #313 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post
I would think it would be no different than getting the BD/DVD/DC version and selling the BD independent of the DVD. Since at the store, the cost is: DVD < BD < BD/DVD < BD/DVD/DC you could make the case that you paid for each format and are allowed to sell it just as you would a single disc purchase. As long as the buyer is made aware that the DC is not included I feel it is legit.

Then again I'm not a lawyer and I've read people suing and winning for using a lawn mower to trim the hedges and losing fingers along the way...so common sense goes out the window.
Thanks.

We were, to my point, able to find a physical disc for sale. Local library didn't have it -- we have a really small library.
post #314 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by elario 

Quote:Originally Posted by imagic 

I do not break any of the laws you mentioned on a regular basis, mostly because I do not own a car, I do not commute, and where I live (center city Philly) pedestrians have the right of way. And I do not sing happy birthday in public. I turn my phone's WiFi off when I walk my dog, and whenever I leave home.

I even buy all my music.

Those examples were just a quick illustration. I could list literally hundreds of silly or obscure laws that 'honest law abiding' people break every day.

Suffice to say I guarantee you break some laws, we all do. So please come down off your high horse. If you won't rip discs for other reasons (cost, lack of technical knowledge etc.) that's fine.

No high horse. You can accept my reason at face value, I respect copyright law. I certainly have the technical knowledge. What does cost have to do with it?
That's refreshing. I decided not to pursue a career in music in the early 90's when I saw the writing on the wall that people were just taking other peoples hard work without permission, and had absolutely no qualms about doing it. I had no desire to place myself in a position to let that happen.
post #315 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Two comments on that...

I rent from Vudu more than I buy, the quality is still top-tier and the price is decent.

And, Netflix is in not as good as Vudu HDX or iTunes HD or AMazon HD—that goes for sound and visuals.

I was referring to renting the BR disc from Netflix. Not Netflix streaming.

From what I have experienced, HDX is good, but not as good as a proper BR for sights and sounds in my dedicated theater.

Furthermore, I can average about 8 discs a month for 10 bucks or so. Vudu is a lot more expensive for lessor quality and less flexibility.

That's the way it works out for me anyway.

-Suntan
krips likes this.
post #316 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
I have seen Gravity and know that all of the Sat's could disappear at any time...............(multiple ways this could happen). No Sat's likely means an end to any Cloud and downloads etc.

I'm keeping my disc's.
I have not sen any mention of audio, Is the loss less audio avail. with Vudu?
post #317 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I like to have both. I won't go as far as ditching all my blu-ray... Internet connection is as reliable as in Murphy's law.
Also, sometimes blu-ray is cheaper.. especially on-sale.
HockeyoAJB likes this.
post #318 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post
I like to have both. I won't go as far as ditching all my blu-ray... Internet connection is as reliable as in Murphy's law.
Also, sometimes blu-ray is cheaper.. especially on-sale.
That is true, especially for 3D.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #319 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I have been highly selective about the BDs I buy, so my collection even now contains only a bit over a hundred titles. Nevertheless, I would never substitute streaming for them and plan to keep on buying BDs. Although these days streaming video can approach what BDs give us, the absence of streaming lossless audio makes getting my movies that way a nonstarter.
post #320 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
lossy audio, lossy data ! No thanks! I will keep using blu ray .
Kilgore likes this.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #321 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranster View Post
That's refreshing. I decided not to pursue a career in music in the early 90's when I saw the writing on the wall that people were just taking other peoples hard work without permission, and had absolutely no qualms about doing it. I had no desire to place myself in a position to let that happen.
That's too bad. Since the lowering of the barriers to ripping music to other devices and lowering prices by Apple and other suppliers though, it's been found that the profits for music sales have not gone down.

In the case of new musicians, sharing music and such has actually increased sales for new musicians, probably by people giving others a sample of their music and the receiver being interested and buying more music from a previously unknown musician.

I know I buy plenty of music downloaded from sites like Amazon (MP3's), from HDTRACKs and such (lossless), etc.

I only buy music, no sharing files for me, and have no problem ripping music or backing it up to a NAS so I can preserve my investment. I have my music on the NAS for play on several audio setups and paralleled to my cell phone for on the go use.

All of it is paid for, some of it from musicians who have left the labels behind and are producing their own through kickstart (Amanda Palmer). These independent musicians as producers would not have been possible without digital delivery in my eyes, since the startup cost would be prohibitive otherwise.

I think the same could be done for films. I agree about the quality differences, but if the video industry takes the music industry as its lead, if you can get lower prices, fast and easy access and a more reasonable legal landscape, you can get not only active studio releases, but a lively independent film environment could be set up so not everyone would be chained to the studios.
post #322 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'll give up Blu-ray when streaming has audio and video parity with it or when 4k media becomes available.

My first and only experience with Vudu was a total disaster. The movie stopped nine times to to ask me if I wanted to step down to a lower quality. Why? The highest quality is, at a minimum what I need it to do! This happened on a FIOS-equipped home with wired networking with 50mbps download speed.

Netflix isn't sufficiently close to Blu-ray on a 2.35:1 projection system so I never use that.

iTunes can be good and I use it occasionally for kids stuff, but really the digital copies are backups for me in case I want to take the movie with me on an iPad or something.

Sorry to hear you've given up the best thing you can feed your HDTV for something lesser. This trend is evident with music as well, where people would much prefer convenience over quality because, the way they see it, "it's good enough".
post #323 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
While that's understandable for people that are stealing content, I don't see the MPAA going after people ripping discs that they own anytime soon.
Ripping copyrighted material for any reason is illegal without express consent from the owner. That being said however, they are not interested in people ripping PURCHASED discs for personal back up or hard drive purposes. Very little money if any at all is lost in this process.... and it's lost revenue that copyright laws are aimed at curbing.

Their interest begins if that ripped copy happens to find itself on a file share server. That's lost revenue, and that they start paying attention to.
post #324 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 117
I never adopted Blu Ray. The format sucks. If hardware manufacturers dont continuously update their legacy players they become bricks. Screw that.

Ive rented Blu Rays, but never bought any.

I mainly stick to DVDs....and Streaming.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #325 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
EscapeVelocity you can stay like that ,but many people own high quality gear, it wouldn't make sense for them to use any lower quality sound and video format.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; 06-12-2014 at 02:32 PM.
post #326 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
I never adopted Blu Ray. The format sucks. If hardware manufacturers dont continuously update their legacy players they become bricks. Screw that.

Ive rented Blu Rays, but never bought any.

I mainly stick to DVDs....and Streaming.
I assume you are referring to firmware updates required in order to enable the playback of newer discs or are you talking about adding new features?

In the case of hardware updates, the exact same thing applies for streaming devices. If you own a current Roku, AppleTV, Amazon FireTV, etc. and you expect to be able to stream 4K with it then you are in for a rude awakening. They can't do it. No amount of firmware updates will enable it. They lack the ability to decode HEVC and, without that, they are dead in the water when it comes to 4K. Also, be prepared for the fact that the first 4K streaming devices will not have everything they need to take advantage of improvements made to the 4K format over the next few years. There will likely be at least 2 or 3 generations of 4K streaming devices, with each generation adding new features not included in the previous ones.

If your problem is the firmware updates for the blu-ray players to be able to play newer titles, then I would suggest going with a top brand name like Sony, Panasonic, or Oppo. They tend to keep their players up to date for several years. If that's not good enough, buy a PS4. Chances are it will continue to receive firmware updates until 8K content comes along. The PS3 is still kicking it.

I can't imagine that your issue would be the need for the player to connect to the internet to download the updates. Afterall, you said you stream and that requires you to be connected to the internet for the duration of the film, for every film you watch. Not to mention the time spent on the internet browsing for and purchasing/renting the film.

To me, it sounds like you would be happier sticking to DVD only and forget about everything else, including streaming.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 06-12-2014 at 02:57 PM.
post #327 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
EscapeVelocity you can stay like that ,but many people own high quality gear, it wouldn't make sense for them to use any lower quality sound and video format.
Are you somehow insinuating that I dont own high quality gear?

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #328 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
That seems a bit rigid. I have not found that to always be the case, even among some of the most famous home theater designers around. Often, other factors come into play, such as availability. For example, the Vudu catalog is three times the size of the Blu-ray catalog. Also, some (independent) movies see a digital release while in theaters—can't do that with Blu-ray.

post #329 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Interesting article. I've found myself going in the complete opposite direction, however.

The more I watch downloaded content the more I begin to understand the importance of the bit rate. What's in the dead center of focus often looks just as good downloaded as on BluRay. The rest of the shot is no where near as detailed though. Dark shots especially suffer from the lack of bit rate, forming strange artifacts whereas BluRay is consistently gorgeous.

This is not even mentioning how pitiful the downloaded audio quality is.

Blu-Ray forever!
post #330 of 706 Old 06-12-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I ditched surround sound a long time ago. Im gone to Stereo Only....and vintage silver faced 70s recievers and speakers plus top quality DVD players (Denon, Oppo, Panasonic).

Id love it if BluRay werent hobbled by Macrovision style security, which required constant updates from the hardware makers (only a few still support their bluray players from the last decade. Panasonic, Sony, and Oppo. Lot's of people got burned by LG and Samsung.

Ill pass mostly on BluRay. I do own a Panasonic BluRay player....but hardly use it.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page