Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post
And meanwhile the best comcast business plan I can find is only 150/20Mbps

Notwithstanding....
How does one go about finding a copy of Transformers Age of Extinction which is 200Gb in size?

Sorry.... but there is something not right with this story.
Obviously completely fabricated nonsense. Just ignore.

However, I do wonder whether a threat such as this one, on a site recently having had a change of ownership might somehow be triggered by not just personal choice but maybe some incentives to promote Vudu to an enthusiast audience?

Considering the audience here is quality-aware and likely enjoys collecting their media, it just appears odd anyone would seriously follow suit and completely give up on the de-facto best av quality available today in home theater.

Not only that, but also the content available is reduced dramatically by such a move (Criterion releases? Extras? Foreign releases?), and this is ignoring the fact that you are putting your money into a technology that Walmart might just say goodbye to whenever it feels like it, and no real resale-right.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Mark, having tested both Ultra-D and Kaleidescape and enjoyed them, why didn't you wait until early next when when the 50"+ 120Hz panels and next-gen Cinema One supporting 3D and, presumably, 4K are released, and sell your 2D Panasonic, 3D Vizio and Blu-Rays then? Sure, the hardware would be a little more expensive - you said in your Cinema One review that it was out of your budget - but you would be able to save money in the interim and end up with a single screen and a single device that would offer the convenience you're after without sacrificing any of the individual qualities you have already experienced.
post #363 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I think some formal testing is needed, and please note that compression is not all the same. Done well, compressed audio is indecipherable from uncompressed. I played some of Skyfall in Vudu HDX last night, I've heard lossless audio from the reference scenes (that I use) from that movie on many systems, including one sweet Krell rig and a Keith Yates home theater. The Vudu HDX sound lacks nothing.
To be honest I haven't been able to make that comparison, but I have made comparisons between lossy Dolby Digital or DTS and their HD equivalents on various discs and there is no competition which one comes out as the winner. Vudu HDX might be interesting to experience though, but as I am a firm fan of Blu-ray that's where my focus still lays and will for a long while.

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

post #364 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic
That's why for critical viewing I like buying a movie on Blu-ray, cashing in the UV code, watching the disc once, and then selling it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edogyip View Post
It may not be illegal, but it feels wrong to me. They are already cracking down on the sale of UV codes, so it seems it is just a matter of time.
It's wrong and illegal.

When you buy a movie, most of the purchase price is for the licence to watch the movie in your home. It's not for the media, be it disc or downloaded data, that is a negligible part of the price.

That's why a disc+digital bundle does not cost 2x a disc-only package. It only costs slightly more. Because you are not buying two licences. You are buying one licence to watch the movie with a small (maybe 10%) premium to cover the extra viewing option.

If you sell your disc and retain the UV copy, now there are two licences in circulation. You can still watch the movie via your UV copy, and the buyer can watch it on the disc. But the copyright owner has only been paid for one licence. This is piracy, you have created an extra licence to watch the movie without permission.

It is hilarious that this guy will lecture about he has ethics and would never rip a disc because it's breaking the law.. And then a few posts later he talks about how he breaks the digital copy licence agreement on a regular basis.

When I rip my own purchased Blurays, I keep the disc and everything is watched in my own home. Im not creating an extra licence. The copyright holder has been paid for one licence and one person is watching the movie.
post #365 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post
It's wrong and illegal.

When you buy a movie, most of the purchase price is for the licence to watch the movie in your home. It's not for the media, be it disc or downloaded data, that is a negligible part of the price.

That's why a disc+digital bundle does not cost 2x a disc-only package. It only costs slightly more. Because you are not buying two licences. You are buying one licence to watch the movie with a small (maybe 10%) premium to cover the extra viewing option.

If you sell your disc and retain the UV copy, now there are two licences in circulation. You can still watch the movie via your UV copy, and the buyer can watch it on the disc. But the copyright owner has only been paid for one licence. This is piracy, you have created an extra licence to watch the movie without permission.

It is hilarious that this guy will lecture about he has ethics and would never rip a disc because it's breaking the law.. And then a few posts later he talks about how he breaks the digital copy licence agreement on a regular basis.

When I rip my own purchased Blurays, I keep the disc and everything is watched in my own home. Im not creating an extra licence. The copyright holder has been paid for one licence and one person is watching the movie.
I'm not sure whether this OK to do or not, but I don't remember ever seeing a "Conditions / Terms" if you will that comes with software that explicitly tells you that you are only granted one license. I think unless they do that, I don't think they have a strong case on preventing you from doing that.

Just because a company dictates terms X, Y & Z in their license doesn't mean they can enforce it. There have been cases where say terms Y & Z were tossed in court because they contradict existing laws or were not enforceable where you lived.

As far as a disc + DC copy costing less than 2x the price of just the disc. I would chalk it up to bulk pricing. A can of soda may sell for $1 but a 12 pack is closer to $4 instead of $12 Most people don't want to spend $20 for a blu-ray let alone $40 for BD/DC or $60 for DVD/BD/DVD.

post #366 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Be Careful...

Be careful putting all of your eggs in the cloud basket!!! I've heard rumors that many home internet service providers are going to start charging a data package fee, like the cell companies do!!! If so you'll have limits to how much data you can stream monthly!
post #367 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 View Post
Be careful putting all of your eggs in the cloud basket!!! I've heard rumors that many home internet service providers are going to start charging a data package fee, like the cell companies do!!! If so you'll have limits to how much data you can stream monthly!
And something like that is guarantied to happen with more and more use of services like netflix and vudu. Data rates will go up and data caps will go down
dukedallas2005 likes this.
post #368 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 3049
Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post
It's wrong and illegal.

Despite your opinion on the matter, the fact remains that if you rip a Blu-ray, you are breaking federal law and if I sell a used Blu-ray that came with a code that I registered with UV, I am not breaking any written laws, and it's not even clear what the contractual status of the transaction is, since the UV TOS does not address the issue directly.

What is more contentious is the act of selling the UV codes and keeping the disc. That's because the physical media is absolutely covered by the first sale doctrine whereas virtual media is an unsettled legal matter.

It comes down to the idea that you can do what you want with a physical disc in terms of loaning it to friends or selling it, whereas with UV there are specific TOS that govern what you can do with the UV version, beyond the usual copyright law restrictions, since it is not covered by the first sale doctrine.
TeflonSoul likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com

Last edited by imagic; 06-13-2014 at 06:55 AM.
post #369 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post
Mark, having tested both Ultra-D and Kaleidescape and enjoyed them, why didn't you wait until early next when when the 50"+ 120Hz panels and next-gen Cinema One supporting 3D and, presumably, 4K are released, and sell your 2D Panasonic, 3D Vizio and Blu-Rays then? Sure, the hardware would be a little more expensive - you said in your Cinema One review that it was out of your budget - but you would be able to save money in the interim and end up with a single screen and a single device that would offer the convenience you're after without sacrificing any of the individual qualities you have already experienced.
Great question. The answer is that I am a writer and that's how I wind up with nifty gear in my home. I'm going to see a lot more really cool technology coming through my door. I don't see a Kaleidescape and an Ultra-D equipped TV being my ideal. Something like a HTPC with a (future) 4K ChromeCast and a Vizio R is much more my style.

That said, my job is to explore alternatives and look towards the future of AV, not to settle on one system that's all about convenience.

For all the focus on the convenience angle, the real reason I am making the switch is because I strongly believe that cloud-based content will surpass disc-based content in both quantity and quality very soon, and there will be no going back. I want to know as much as I can about the new media landscape.

Last edited by imagic; 06-13-2014 at 07:01 AM.
post #370 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
I have said before and I will say it again, if someone prefers the low quality of streaming services then let the punishment fit the crime. Lets face it, it will be those who think there is little difference between upscaled dvd and a BD that will be going for streaming the most.

If a DVD used good clean source material for the DVD, I find that there is little difference between a BD and a DVD when viwed at the normal seating position distance (55" TV). The DVD is a bit softer, but no bad at all with good clean source material. Then again, that entire issue may be dependent on the Bluray player and the TV in question.

The vast majority of my DVDs upscale to 1080 - 24 P and they look good. Then again, old noisy video tranfers will look soft and noisy.

I don't stream because my internet connection is too slow (buffering).
post #371 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have about 700 dvds. I never sold them off while they were worth a couple bucks each at the beginning of the BluRay lifecycle. Now that my DVD's are worth like $.50 each (if I'm lucky) the reminder of that financial stupidity gives me great pause every time I consider buying a new bluray. I don't even usually like to watch a movie more than once or twice. I like netflix and amazon prime and do agree I'd prefer to do streaming since purchase of physical disks is SUCH a value losing proposition. For the reference level titles, or titles I really enjoyed, or blurays for $5 bucks I'll buy them. I will VERY rarely pay $20 for a bluray these days. I'm not sure I'd sell my collection yet - but I do understand original poster's dismissal of physical medium. I fell the same way. I've gone the digital route with my PC gaming. Steam is all the rave + some. Physical media on PC game discs is not worthwhile. If UltraViolet does for movies what Steam did for PC gaming - it's a very very good thing.

I do wonder if there will be a next gen physical format or if it will all move to streaming before then.
As someone who spent between $30 and $105 per disc for hundreds of Laserdiscs while the rest of the world used VHS, I find the $20 Blu-ray with it's 1080p image, high quality compression and uncompressed/Lossless audio a steal. Perspective.
Mr.G and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #372 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Despite your opinion on the matter, the fact remains that if you rip a Blu-ray, you are breaking federal law and if I sell a used Blu-ray that came with a code that I registered with UV, I am not breaking any written laws, and it's not even clear what the contractual status of the transaction is, since the UV TOS does not address the issue directly.

What is more contentious is the act of selling the UV codes and keeping the disc. That's because the physical media is absolutely covered by the first sale doctrine whereas virtual media is an unsettled legal matter.

It comes down to the idea that you can do what you want with a physical disc in terms of loaning it to friends or selling it, whereas with UV there are specific TOS that govern what you can do with the UV version, beyond the usual copyright law restrictions, since it is not covered by the first sale doctrine.

How about "ripping" or "recording" a DVD, or even "recording" copyrighted material (a movie) off of a cable box?

As far as the law goes, you should revisit your version of Sharia "law". For that matter, why does this forum allow discussion of the matter if it is "illegal". There is an entire AVS topic on the matter.

Movie Copyrights

Congress granted movies copyright protection in 1912. In the 1970s, the movie industry tried to stop people from copying films on video recorders.

Consumers won a victory in 1984 when the U.S. Supreme Court exempted video "home recording" from copyright infringement, another example of fair use.
kheiden and StinDaWg like this.
post #373 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Don't get me started not he UV-only nonsense - that's thread worthy all on its own.

If they're going to include a digital copy with my Blu-ray purchase, I want the iTunes copy. I don't want to be forced to use another format when I've invested thousands of dollars in Apple's ecosystem. Provide both UV and iTunes and move on. Disney, Universal, Fox, HBO and others all do this, but Warner wants to force everyone into UV. This exclusively UV stuff is causing me to have to rip Warner Bros. movies just to get the digital copy I want, and is really annoying.

As for ripping it, I bought the Blu-ray disc. It came with a digital copy. If it isn't iTunes format and I make my own iTunes version, so what? They should have offered me the choice in the box instead of UV only. It's not being distributed anywhere, it's on my hard drive for home use only.
HockeyoAJB likes this.

Last edited by kheiden; 06-13-2014 at 07:41 AM.
post #374 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
For all the focus on the convenience angle, the real reason I am making the switch is because I strongly believe that cloud-based content will surpass disc-based content in both quantity and quality very soon, and there will be no going back. I want to know as much as I can about the new media landscape.
Fair enough. With your barebones Vudu HDX films, do you feel that you're missing the bonus features from the physical Blu-Ray discs? You remarked in your Kaleidescape review that they are the only digital downloads that offer this.
post #375 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post
Fair enough. With your barebones Vudu HDX films, do you feel that you're missing the bonus features from the physical Blu-Ray discs? You remarked in your Kaleidescape review that they are the only digital downloads that offer this.
That is not entirely accurate. iTunes includes what they call iTunes Extras, though I have not done a comparison to see if the iTunes Extras are exactly the same as the Bonus Features included on the Blu-Ray disc. Vudu also has versions of some movies that include bonus features, which are clearly marked at "+ Bonus Features", though they typically cost more than the version that excludes them. Again, I have not compared the Bonus Features on the Vudu titles that include them to the ones on the disc. It is possible, even probable, that they do not include everything that is on the disc. It is also possible that some of the features included with the digital copies cannot be gotten any other way, including from the disc. Heck, what extras you get with a blu-ray disc can vary depending on the retailer. Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and Amazon each have their own exclusive extras that are packaged with the Blu-Ray.
post #376 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Streaming is great.. Bluray disk -> PC -> 20 TB storage array -> inexpensive Mede8ter that plays back the BD in it's original PQ + HD audio (+ full frame packed 3D) to every TV / projector in my house. Somehow I can still sleep at night with this setup. I bought the disk, i'm backing it up.

If I only had small 60" TV's for watching content I wouldn't likely care about lesser quality via online streaming. Sitting 1.25 SW from a 142" 16:9 screen with top quality projectors, online streaming doesn't cut it. I own the Sony VW1100 with the 4K media device. Each movie is downloaded, there is no real time streaming. I'll be checking out the new Sony device that supports the 4K netflix streaming using H.265. It better look amazing or what will be the point of a 4K stream. I'd much prefer 4K bluray to become a standard.
post #377 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post
Next week: "Why I sold all my Home Theater equipment and just watch Netflix on my iPad"
This really should have been the first and only reply in this thread.
kheiden and StinDaWg like this.
post #378 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well,... you look forward to higher quality and go out of your way to ensure you own lower quality... I think your sending some mixed messages.

Maybe cloud based content will be better than disc based but for now it's not and you say "please lower the quality of my media." Your HDX is never going to match disc based options much less surpass them.

-Brain

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 06-13-2014 at 10:20 AM.
post #379 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Vudu/iTunes won't be reformatting (as in upscaling) their existing 1080p films to create 4K. That would be fake 4K and if they do it and people catch on then they will have a huge problem on their hands. And, trust me, people would be able to tell. If you take 1080p that is already slightly below blu-ray, upscale it to 4K, then compress the hell out of it to fit it down the pipes, it will look significantly worse than an actual 1080p bluray that is upscaled to 4K by the display.

The only way to make streamed 4K look better than a 1080p Blu-Ray, is for it to be real 4K, i.e. mastered/remastered in 4K from source material that is 4K or better. That's why there is so little 4K content available to date. It's also why not having a physical format could be a death sentence for the format. Why would studios bother creating a home-friendly 4K version of a large selection of movies if the only people that will ever see them at home are those with 20 Mbps+ internet connections?

Adding a physical format would broaden their potential consumer base by about 800% in the short term. At that point, you don't even need the physical format to be that profitable in and of itself, so long as it isn't losing money hand over fist. The combination of physical and online 4K content would ensure the success of 4K, which means the electronics manufacturers make out like bandits. Why should the studios care about the electronics manufacturers? Because, in many cases, they are the same company. Also, they could continue to draw those who purchase 4K physical media more and more into the online model, where the profit margin is higher. Once people have had a taste of 4K, they won't want to go back to 1080p. If the only way to see 4K is via. online delivery, how are they going to give people their first taste?
OK, forget about what they should do, since the industry never does what it should. What is it likely to do, i.e., spend the least amount of money to spike short term profits.

If they can't upscale what they have, and they've just seen the latest physical format flatline and succumb to piracy, streaming is the likeliest solution.

So what, then, will WE be offered, if iTunes and Vudu can't juice their existing 1080p catalogues for 4K?

Let's take a classic movie like, say, Midnight Run, which has still not been released on BD. Do we ever see it in 4K? In 1080p? If the studios still haven't seen it worthy of remastering for 1080p, then why would we ever assume that they'd pay for a 4K remaster? That's the crux of my question about the future of 4K -- the nearly century's worth of films that would need to be remastered, and the titanic sum of money that would be required.

Or does the future hinge on the handful of 4K shows and the obvious Marvel blockbusters. Do they 4K remaster Safety Not Guaranteed?

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO WATCH????
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #380 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Well,... you look forward to higher quality and go out of your way to ensure you own lower quality... I think your sending some mixed messages.

Maybe cloud based content will be better than disc based but for now it's not and you sing the tune of please lower the quality of my media. Your HDX is never going to match disc based options much less surpass them.

For all your "exploring" of media I am impressed with how many of your decisions I find to be backwards. Keeping DVDs and CDs while selling back Blu Rays, and opting for the non- Apple tablet... Exploring is fine but I think someone needs to get you a map.

-Brain
At least the Blu-rays were worth something. I have no rare DVDs, so in the trash they go... well, they go in the trash after I do a disc-to-digital conversion on Vudu for the titles I want to keep. As for CDs, it's legal to rip them so why get rid of them? Plus I have some rare and out-of-print CDs that I will never part with.

If you read what I wrote, you know that I'll still buy Blu-ray if it is merited. What I won't do is maintain a collection of Blu-rays. For many movies, a iTunes HD or Vudu HDX rental is the exact right combination of price, convenience, and quality. And if a movie is on Amazon Prime and available in HD with 5.1 sound, then that's going to be my choice since I already pay for Prime for the free shipping.

Also, regarding "opting for the non- Apple tablet," my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 beats the iPad mini with Retina in terms of resolution and memory, with a better camera to boot. It's thinner, lighter, and generally outclasses Apple's offering at that size. If you are an App fiend I can see getting the iPad mini. And fwiw I do have a full-sized iPad.

Last edited by imagic; 06-13-2014 at 10:37 AM.
post #381 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
That is not entirely accurate. iTunes includes what they call iTunes Extras, though I have not done a comparison to see if the iTunes Extras are exactly the same as the Bonus Features included on the Blu-Ray disc. Vudu also has versions of some movies that include bonus features, which are clearly marked at "+ Bonus Features", though they typically cost more than the version that excludes them. Again, I have not compared the Bonus Features on the Vudu titles that include them to the ones on the disc. It is possible, even probable, that they do not include everything that is on the disc. It is also possible that some of the features included with the digital copies cannot be gotten any other way, including from the disc. Heck, what extras you get with a blu-ray disc can vary depending on the retailer. Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and Amazon each have their own exclusive extras that are packaged with the Blu-Ray.
iTunes Extras vary by title. There are some movies where the bonus content matches with the Blu-Ray, and others where it is a smaller subset. Occasionally you even get exclusive bonus content with iTunes Extras, an example of this is with Star Trek Into Darkness where the commentary was exclusive to iTunes.
post #382 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 40
What about the Blu-Ray titles with Second Screen...Dark Knight Rises, Tron Legacy, Lion King...? If you have the BD and the app you can get some extra stuff that is not even included on the Disc and only unlocked when the app is synced up with the Blu-Ray (I tried this on a supported title that I already had the DVD for and it didn't work). Pretty sure you can't get that with the digital copy or streaming route.

Last edited by Pioneer_Elte; 06-13-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #383 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post
What about the Blu-Ray titles with Second Screen...Dark Knight Rises, Tron Legacy, Lion King...? If you have the BD and the app you can get some extra stuff that is not even included on the Disc and only unlocked when the app is synced up with the Blu-Ray (I tried this on a supported title that I already had the DVD for and it didn't work). Pretty sure you can't get that with the digital copy or streaming route.
I think Amazon is incorporating second-screen features in its FireTV. If there's a demand for it, I'm sure that's going to be in the development pipeline for other cloud services.

post #384 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kheiden View Post
As someone who spent between $30 and $105 per disc for hundreds of Laserdiscs while the rest of the world used VHS, I find the $20 Blu-ray with it's 1080p image, high quality compression and uncompressed/Lossless audio a steal. Perspective.
Amen. And to which I add I now have hundreds of DVD's gathering dust in my basement because they've been replaced with Blu-ray's. I have almost 450 Blu-ray movies in my collection but I know someday they too will be replaced. Home theater equipment and media will always be a moving target.

So I don't understand all the venom directed at Mark (the OP). He chosen the Cloud over extending his Blu-ray collection. That's his choice, good for him. Because of the UV and DC codes included with my Blu-ray purchases I have over a hundred titles on VUDU and iTunes. I have also purchased and rented from both services. As much as some purists may wish it - the Cloud is not going away.

What I like in particular about VUDU is that I am able to share my movie collection with my children and relatives who live in other cities. Try doing that with your Blu-rays. Of course all of this requires having sufficient internet bandwidth to stream and in my case that's not a problem.

As the amount of streaming I do increases, the number of discs I purchase has declined. Let's face it many movies that come out today do not merit a Blu-ray release or purchase. A rental will suffice in many cases, be it Netflix, Redbox or VUDU.
imagic likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #385 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 221
13 horror movies to stream on Friday the 13th

Much like my prior post here is a great example of the power of streaming...

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/20...ovies-netlfix/

I don't even (really) like horror movies but I just might be in the mood to help celebrate Friday the 13th. Now I ain't buying all of these movies and sure I could watch something for the x time with a prettier picture or I could even order one from Amazon although I'd get it long after the thrill was gone...

Buying something you'll use one time seems rather silly and watching it more than once almost as silly. If you like to collect shiny little discs go for it... nothing wrong with that. Now in my dedicated room it's nothing but Blu-ray so everything has its place and time...
post #386 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Major change in your movie viewing, Mark, and I hope it works out well for you in the long run. And thank you for taking the time to explain what you have done and why.

In my own situation, we can't get an Internet connection good enough to allow high quality streaming, even though we are only 50 miles west of our nations capital!

In my mind such services should exist, but don't, having looked at neighbor's various Internet connections (FiOS and cable) which do not produce the quality we see and hear from our Oppo BDP-105 and 5.1 audio playback system. Streaming is fraught with all the glitches others here have already talked about, along with its $100 per month typical cost... a big chunk of cash for those of us who are now retired.

So, we stick with OTA and Netflix Blu-ray rentals and Blu-ray purchases (about 60 now) of the movies we really enjoy and will watch multiple times, also using them as demonstration material for friends and neighbors thinking about upgrading to Blu-ray from their DVD setups.

Should better quality streaming actually become available in our neighborhood, we will look at it again and see what it can actually deliver. In the meantime, we'll be reading your reports and those of others here, about each of your experiences, based on the methods you have involved to support your entertainment desires. Good luck, Mark and I hope that this change continues to prove to be a good one for you... and a worthy possibility for others in their future.
-Rod
post #387 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait up,

You mentioned you chose android over iPad but now you have an iPad..... you said you "gave up" on blu ray but you plan on still buying blu ray...

Ok... I'm done... You make no sense.

I do enjoy reading some of your reviews and honestly I find you nice enough...I don't know why you would be trying to steer people to this horrible notion that HDX copies are in some way better than Blu... all because you really wanted the new 300 movie a few weeks early.
post #388 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Wait up,

You mentioned you chose android over iPad but now you have an iPad..... you said you "gave up" on blu ray but you plan on still buying blu ray...

Ok... I'm done... You make no sense.

I do enjoy reading some of your reviews and honestly I find you nice enough...I don't know why you would be trying to steer people to this horrible notion that HDX copies are in some way better than Blu... all because you really wanted the new 300 movie a few weeks early.
Yes I have an iPad I rarely use, since I prefer my Samung tablet. My OP never said HDX was better than Blu, or that I was never going to buy Blu again. You have distorted what I have said. Thank you for the input.

Last edited by imagic; 06-13-2014 at 02:26 PM.
post #389 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have been pleasantly surprised by how good streaming has become, quality-wise, and I happily use Netflix Streaming, Amazon Instant Video and iTunes for catching up on TV and the occasional impulse-view. My primary diet is still Blu Ray though (mostly discs in the mail from Netflix), for picture and sound quality and also for the bonus features. I purchase discs rarely, usually those for filmmakers I am particularly fond of.

I do see the upside of having a "virtual library" of movies, but at least for now my stance is that if I'm going to spend real $$ for ownership, I want the absolute best picture and sound quality available at the time of purchase, and for now that is Blu Ray (or a Kaleidescape digital copy of the Blu Ray, but Kaleidescape is not on the horizon for me at this time).
post #390 of 706 Old 06-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpaine View Post
Major change in your movie viewing, Mark, and I hope it works out well for you in the long run. And thank you for taking the time to explain what you have done and why.

In my own situation, we can't get an Internet connection good enough to allow high quality streaming, even though we are only 50 miles west of our nations capital!

In my mind such services should exist, but don't, having looked at neighbor's various Internet connections (FiOS and cable) which do not produce the quality we see and hear from our Oppo BDP-105 and 5.1 audio playback system. Streaming is fraught with all the glitches others here have already talked about, along with its $100 per month typical cost... a big chunk of cash for those of us who are now retired.

So, we stick with OTA and Netflix Blu-ray rentals and Blu-ray purchases (about 60 now) of the movies we really enjoy and will watch multiple times, also using them as demonstration material for friends and neighbors thinking about upgrading to Blu-ray from their DVD setups.

Should better quality streaming actually become available in our neighborhood, we will look at it again and see what it can actually deliver. In the meantime, we'll be reading your reports and those of others here, about each of your experiences, based on the methods you have involved to support your entertainment desires. Good luck, Mark and I hope that this change continues to prove to be a good one for you... and a worthy possibility for others in their future.
-Rod
What town do you live closest to? I'm in roughly the same area in a little town called Marshall, VA. It's right off of I-66, mile marker 27-28 (west of The Plains, Haymarket, Gainesville, and Manassas). Where I live, we do have access to Comcast in town, but it runs about $55 per month for up to 25 Mbps service. However, once you get outside of town, your options are 3 Mbps DSL for ~$30 per month, 1.5 Mbps Hughes Net (satellite) for $100 per month, or dial-up. I also think it's rediculous that we live in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area and somehow have some of the worst internet infrastructure in the country.
imagic likes this.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page