Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat.there View Post
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by elario

Quote: Originally Posted by imagic

I do not break any of the laws you mentioned on a regular basis, mostly because I do not own a car, I do not commute, and where I live (center city Philly) pedestrians have the right of way. And I do not sing happy birthday in public. I turn my phone's WiFi off when I walk my dog, and whenever I leave home.

I even buy all my music.

Those examples were just a quick illustration. I could list literally hundreds of silly or obscure laws that 'honest law abiding' people break every day.

Suffice to say I guarantee you break some laws, we all do. So please come down off your high horse. If you won't rip discs for other reasons (cost, lack of technical knowledge etc.) that's fine.

No high horse. You can accept my reason at face value, I respect copyright law. I certainly have the technical knowledge. What does cost have to do with it?
You certainly sound like a shill for the digital streaming industry, blu-ray is superior for security and playability and video & audio than streaming ever will be.
If you like something and you talk about it, that makes you a shill? Surely you are a shill as well then. Streaming will never beat Blu-ray? It's only a question of when, not if.
You are not just talking about it though, You are advocating for streaming / pushing an agenda, that IS WHAT MAKES YOU seem like a shill.

The only way streaming would brat ANY PHYSICAL FORMAT is by elitists (who also want more control over people to watch stuff when the elitist say, not when the individual does) who want an inferior formart to win over a clearly superior one (helped by people like you who spread manure that dullards to fall for).
David Susilo and StinDaWg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Many here have 15, 20, 25, 50, etc. Mbps service from their ISP but in the real world of Netflix the average is much lower than many think, click here for the May average. IMO, it will be sometime before the average person will STREAM a frame packed 3D at BD data rates .
post #483 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For my downstairs TV - sitting 12 feet away from a 42" set and small stereo speakers, streaming is just fine.

For my primary viewing - sitting 8-9 feet away from a 120" screen with a quality 5.1 setup, streaming just isn't there yet with either audio or video. Even BD isn't 'good enough' thanks to the limited color space, it is just the best we can get right now.

Streaming is the absolute worst way to get movies IMHO, but we are stuck with it thanks to archaic/outdated copyright laws and the demands of the content owners. 'Cloud' based content viewing would work best if they would allow a transient local copy to be pulled down and played back from there. Streaming puts loads of extra demand on the networks, and is subject to random quality degradation.
post #484 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by elario

I do not break any of the laws you mentioned on a regular basis, mostly because I do not own a car, I do not commute, and where I live (center city Philly) pedestrians have the right of way. And I do not sing happy birthday in public. I turn my phone's WiFi off when I walk my dog, and whenever I leave home.

I even buy all my music.

Those examples were just a quick illustration. I could list literally hundreds of silly or obscure laws that 'honest law abiding' people break every day.

Suffice to say I guarantee you break some laws, we all do. So please come down off your high horse. If you won't rip discs for other reasons (cost, lack of technical knowledge etc.) that's fine.

No high horse. You can accept my reason at face value, I respect copyright law. I certainly have the technical knowledge. What does cost have to do with it?
You certainly sound like a shill for the digital streaming industry, blu-ray is superior for security and playability and video & audio than streaming ever will be.
If you like something and you talk about it, that makes you a shill? Surely you are a shill as well then. Streaming will never beat Blu-ray? It's only a question of when, not if.
You are not just talking about it though, You are advocating for streaming / pushing an agenda, that IS WHAT MAKES YOU seem like a shill.

The only way streaming would brat ANY PHYSICAL FORMAT is by elitists (who also want more control over people to watch stuff when the elitist say, not when the individual does) who want an inferior formart to win over a clearly superior one (helped by people like you who spread manure that dullards to fall for).
That's about it. Media companies will soon have total control over what you get to watch, users will have minimal say. If you want to watch a certain movie and no streaming service offers it, tough sh*t. I understand streaming is great from a convenience standpoint. But, people who want to wash their hands completely of physical media just boggle my mind. If physical media ever disappears, you will, essentially, have zero choice as to what movies you watch. You can obviously pick any movie that's available from a given service provider, but you can't just pick any movie. You can only pick from what they give you.
StinDaWg and TeflonSoul like this.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #485 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Phrehdd

Oh the shame of it all - Jack Ryan HDX (new movie) on Vudu - STEREO. Purchase Blue Ray - true surround sound. I don't see the advantage of this new movie on Vudu.
That is just one example of the masses being screwed over by stream rental/purchase option. I don't believe that just because a movie is new, it would be more likely to be superior to some of the older films. Then again, nothing stops Vudu and others from improved files for stream distribution. FYI, the films I named it is very noticeable the difference in audio.

What are you talking about?

The original purchase of this film on Vudu was stereo. No attempt to lie here. This was before the film was offered as a rental if that is any indication. I also see now it says it is in surround.

Last edited by Phrehdd; 06-15-2014 at 12:03 PM.
post #486 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 427
With so much hassles with streaming, why don't just get the best AND the easiest to use?...Blu-ray!
Brian Hampton likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #487 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I'll stick to blu-ray and the only way I would ever take part in streaming is if the internet infrastructure could actually handle it for everyone and if I actually had unlimited rights to the movie and if the price was cheap. If it becomes the norm but those requirements aren't met then I'll simply stop watching movies released in the future.

ROB
post #488 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post
You can obviously pick any movie that's available from a given service provider, but you can't just pick any movie. You can only pick from what they give you.
Obviously you can't pick any movie to play yourself unless you happen to own every movie ever made. In whatever mood I am in to watch x I'm guessing the likelihood of having something I want to watch available online versus being in my house is exponentially greater. Of course I could watch something I wasn't in the mood to watch or even watch something for the x time... neither offsets any inherent disadvantages in virtually every case.

It seems so stupid to debate image and audio quality to the ninth degree when in reality the entire experience is much larger. Sure at times you want to watch x and who wouldn't prefer the best presentation... no one debates that. What seems silly is for most people (who cares about one's individual desires or usage) life is fluid and not so easily defined by predetermined choices or limited selections. If the perfect video and audio is so important to them I don't see why they would ever watch more than one movie as only one can be the best...

I'll buy or rent a Blu-ray for my dedicated room as I appreciate the best. Often when I decide I want to watch x streaming offers the best... the only other option is not to watch it at all. I don't consider waiting x days and then watching it a better experience... I have moved on...

Last edited by Charles R; 06-15-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #489 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
With so much hassles with streaming, why don't just get the best AND the easiest to use?...Blu-ray!
Right!

Maybe if everyone wasn't so interested in trying to innovate by moving on to what they think may be the next thing, they would realize that for once the current thing is actually fine .. even fantastic.

Blu Ray truly delivers. Some people though can't be bothered to notice.
David Susilo likes this.
post #490 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 2771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Quote:
You can obviously pick any movie that's available from a given service provider, but you can't just pick any movie. You can only pick from what they give you.
Obviously you can't pick any movie to play yourself unless you happen to own every movie ever made. In whatever mood I am in to watch x I'm guessing the likelihood of having something I want to watch available online versus being in my house is exponentially greater. Of course I could watch something I wasn't in the mood to watch or even watch something for the x time... neither offsets any inherent disadvantages in virtually every case.

It seems so stupid to debate image and audio quality to the ninth degree when in reality the entire experience is much larger. Sure at times you want to watch x and who wouldn't prefer the best presentation... no one debates that. What seems silly is for most people (who cares about one's individual desires or usage) life is fluid and not so easily defined by predetermined choices or limited selections. If the perfect video and audio is so important to them I don't see why they would ever watch more than one movie as only one can be the best...
When it comes to impulsive movie watching, the combined library available at my fingertips online beats all of the brick-and-mortar options I could hope to visit in a day. In that sense, it is the ultimate video store, and I dread the idea of going back to dealing with limited availability and queues.

When I visited Theo Kalomirakis at his loft/home theater in Brooklyn, his indifference to "reference" quality surprised me. At the end of the day, he doesn't restrict himself to Blu-ray because the majority of movies ever made are not out on Blu-ray. I had expected him to be a Keith Yates-like perfectionist. Instead, I met someone who was totally enthralled with cinema—he's got a degree in filmmaking from NYU. But he really did not care if what he watched squeezed every last imaginable bit of quality out of the source material, because often it's not even possible. It was refreshing.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #491 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Blu Ray truly delivers. Some people though can't be bothered to notice.
Many aren't willing to be limited by it.
post #492 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If I am going to watch a movie, in the limited amount of free time I have each week, and that movie is streaming I will not enjoy myself knowing it is not being presented in the best possible way. I would rather watch an Amazon or Netflix produced show or series and invest in the Blu-Ray for watching at a latter date.

I have invested too much passion in my love of movies to dilute my enjoyment for convience sake.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
post #493 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Blu-ray can often deliver discreet 8 channel sound for my 7.2 channel theater. Can any streaming service match that?

Game over, man.
post #494 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Blu-ray delivers discreet 8 channel sound. Can any streaming service match that?

Game over, man.
Vudu HDX goes up to 7.1, it's compressed which a lot of people don't like... but it is discreet 8 channel sound.

post #495 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Quote:

When it comes to impulsive movie watching, the combined library available at my fingertips online beats all of the brick-and-mortar options I could hope to visit in a day. In that sense, it is the ultimate video store, and I dread the idea of going back to dealing with limited availability and queues.

When I visited Theo Kalomirakis at his loft/home theater in Brooklyn, his indifference to "reference" quality surprised me. At the end of the day, he doesn't restrict himself to Blu-ray because the majority of movies ever made are not out on Blu-ray. I had expected him to be a Keith Yates-like perfectionist. Instead, I met someone who was totally enthralled with cinema—he's got a degree in filmmaking from NYU. But he really did not care if what he watched squeezed every last imaginable bit of quality out of the source material, because often it's not even possible. It was refreshing.
Refreshing is what a dullard / agenda filled person would say, WHAT IS FACT about that person who does care about the best quality, is either you are lying what he said, IF he actually said that then he has no brains
post #496 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Blu-ray delivers discreet 8 channel sound. Can any streaming service match that?

Game over, man.
Vudu HDX goes up to 7.1, it's compressed which a lot of people don't like... but it is discreet 8 channel sound.
Inferior to blu-ray so again streaming is for IDIOTS
post #497 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Game over, man.
I'm sure everyone who streams movies—for whatever reason—appreciates the compliment.

Last edited by imagic; 06-15-2014 at 02:42 PM.
post #498 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 427
As much as I disagree with Imagic, I have to admit that I ALSO stream movies, especially documentaries and TV series as I don't want to spend the money on TV series and/or they are not available on Blu-ray.

However, when it comes to feature movies (besides, I usually can get them for $10 or less), I buy the blu-ray.

On the other hand, I have to admit that I'm so anal to the point that I calibrate my home theatre once a month and calibrate my PC monitor everytime I'm about to start a new session of colour correction (in photography).
Phrehdd likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #499 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Found another confirmation of the time limit on uvdemystified dot com.

Here are the facts:

UltraViolet retailers are required to give you no-cost unlimited streaming the first year. After that they may or may not charge for additional streams.
UltraViolet retailers are required to give you three no-cost downloads in the first year after purchase. (After that they are allowed to charge for more downloads or continue to provide them at no additional cost. It's up to them.)
Okay now you made me worry about my nearly three dozen UV titles....
I have yet to run into a UV retailer that charged for additional streams. That's not to say it will never happen, but it hasn't happened yet. I do know that the first time it does happen will probably be the last time I ever bother with them.
post #500 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Game over, man.
I'm sure everyone who streams movies—for whatever reason—appreciates the compliment.
I was stating facts about people who are into streaming, and you trying to use reverse psychology to get more onto streaming shows what you are. Also since you can not defeat what was said makes you have even less credibility than the very little you already had.
post #501 of 706 Old 06-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If purchased streaming video came in at roughly half the cost of purchasing physical media, I might understand the allure a bit more. However, it's rather frequent that I can find the physical media for less than the cost of purchasing a streaming license. When I am paying greater money to sacrifice both quality and the first sale doctrine, it simply makes no sense and goes entirely against the grain for me. I am sure, especially given how many streaming viewers there are out there, that this sort of backwards value-point makes little difference. I'm not made of money though, so it makes a difference enough to me to continue investing in physical media.
StinDaWg and Djoel like this.

Last edited by Aryn Ravenlocke; 06-16-2014 at 01:59 PM.
post #502 of 706 Old 06-16-2014, 02:29 AM

Liked: 19
I tried streaming and it can be very convenient (specifically, speaking about Netflix), for casual viewing. I haven't tried Vudu, which btw seems as expensive as physical BluRays, and the UV stuff looks like a usability nightmare, I'd rather rip the discs if I needed to.

But for home theatre, serious movie watching - online streaming is missing high data rate sound, to begin with, and that for me is half the pleasure gone.

I think that physical media will be several steps ahead, both for audio and video, for the foreseeable future. While net speeds improve, thus making it possible to stream increasingly better quality stuff, the requirements also increase. Next is UHD video, Dolby Atmos etc.
post #503 of 706 Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Let's see here. According to sat.there, streaming surround sound quality is...
Quote:

And according to EscapeVelocity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Blu Ray is for suckers who like the suck.
I watch Blu-Ray and stream video so does that make me an IDIOT who likes the suck? And, if I didn't want to be an idiot who likes the suck, what would my alternatives be? Is it ok if I watch DVD's? How about HD broadcast TV? Or would that make me a moron who enjoys bending over. Help me guys. I'm in a bit of a quandary here. You're my only hope!
imagic, StinDaWg and Otter0911 like this.
post #504 of 706 Old 06-16-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In almost three years since announcing DD+ 7.1 availability (in October 2011) VUDU has offered a total of about 21 titles w/DD+ 7.1 sound, one of which is a free clip.
David Susilo and symphara like this.
post #505 of 706 Old 06-16-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

What was the motive for starting a thread like this in this section? It should be in the Video Download Services & Hardware section.
David Susilo likes this.
post #506 of 706 Old 06-16-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 676
This whole thread puzzles me. The original poster said he got rid of all his blu-rays, found somebody to buy them in bulk. For the life of me I can't figure that out. Why on earth would you want to get rid of the best playback medium you've got? We can argue image quality and how far streaming has come, but as far as audio? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't BD the varsity and streaming still the JV's?

BD gives you HD audio as well as 8 channel soundtracks and heaven knows how long it's going to be before streaming catches up with the audio side. Why would anyone want to get rid of BD's before that happens? That doesn't mean you have to buy any more of 'em; Netflix still rents them and mails them to you in the red envelopes, and will be for the foreseeable future. There are very few movies or TV shows I want to watch more than once. And I want the best possible video and audio experience when I do.
post #507 of 706 Old 06-16-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Quote:
In almost three years since announcing DD+ 7.1 availability (in October 2011) VUDU has offered a total of about 21 titles w/DD+ 7.1 sound, one of which is a free clip.
Right on, that's a strike against Vudu.
David Susilo and TeflonSoul like this.

post #508 of 706 Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
What was the motive for starting a thread like this in this section? It should be in the Video Download Services & Hardware section.
Amusingly enough, it's the legacy of David Bott, who asked my to post my Blu-ray vs. Vudu vs. iTunes comparisons in this section. Since this article is closely related to those articles, I put it here. I don't see why that section is any more or less appropriate than this one.

post #509 of 706 Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post

I even buy all my music.

You do know that what he mentions is a federal and international felony and what you mention are misdemeanors right?
post #510 of 706 Old 06-16-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Imagic

I have perused your home page and profile seeking to better understand your position. I ask the following with absolutely no judgement or attitude. In all your photos of your home theater setup, the images are of 2 P.A. Main Left/Right Speakers. Do you use a center channel speaker and/or surrounds?

Please, please do not assume I am baiting you.....I am making no judgement......whatever your reply.....my question is just to further my understanding and knowledge base.

Thanks......and a Happy Father's Day to All!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List