post #31 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Scenario's were this method fails.

VUDU loosing rights due to renegotiation. You will loose all the movies you purchased through that studio.

Your internet goes down.

Internet prices or only going to up and caps down.

Vudu is merely a portal to your Ultraviolet movie collection. Ultraviolet is a consortium of studios & electronics manufacturers, not a business that could go out of business. If Vudu shuts down, use Flixter or one of the other portals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Entertainment_Content_Ecosystem
vivatech and TowerGrove like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Here in the Ultraviolet ToS it states that you do own your files forever. You may lose the right to download or stream them from their servers, but if you download everything to a drive, you can view them forever.

http://www.uvdemystified.com/uvfaq.html#5.3
TowerGrove likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Vudu is merely a portal to your Ultraviolet movie collection. Ultraviolet is a consortium of studios & electronics manufacturers, not a business that could go out of business. If Vudu shuts down, use Flixter or one of the other portals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Entertainment_Content_Ecosystem

you are missing a big point. UV small sprint says movie is available for 3 years who knows what happens after that. Portal or no Portal. If you are downloading them its no different then buying the bluray and doing a 1:1 copy and keeping your own storage
post #34 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

you are missing a big point. UV small sprint says movie is available for 3 years who knows what happens after that. Portal or no Portal.

The download and/or stream is available. If you download them upon purchase, you will have the files to view.

"There is the rare possibility that a video might be recalled because it turns out that the studio didn't have proper rights. In this case any copies of it that you've already downloaded will continue to play, but you won't be able to stream it anymore or download additional copies."
TowerGrove likes this.

post #35 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post

I currently have a library of around 500 movies. I would love to shrink it down and not take up a wall of movies. But my Internet is just not that reliable. I have comcast and its 50mb, but it is always slowing down or losing connection. I swear my house is made of lead.
Robert

If space is the issue, you can always do what I did...buy a few of those 200+ disc carrying cases that DJ's use and get rid of the cases that your discs came in.  My six-hundred-some-odd DVD/Blu-Ray collection now fits on a single 17" wide shelf in the bottom of my TV stand.

I'm in the best-of-both-worlds camp.  When it comes to purchasing, I am still firmly in the physical media camp.  However, that doesn't stop me from streaming, either.  The beautiful thing is that most new Blu-Ray releases include a free digital copy.  To me, it makes zero sense to buy a movie directly from Vudu, Flixster, iTunes, etc. when, for the same price, you can buy the Blu-Ray and get the digital copy included.

The whole debate of streaming vs. physical media seems silly to me.  To use an analogy, I view physical media as peanut butter and streaming as jelly.  I've been buying peanut butter for a long time.  It has been and continues to be great.  Then jelly came along and it's pretty good too.  You know what's better than either peanut butter or jelly?   Peanut butter AND jelly.  Why would you throw away peanut butter just because jelly came along?

David Susilo likes this.
post #36 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Where do you go to download a copy of your movies? Can you download the HDX version if you own it? I wouldn't mind doing this since I have a great big NAS at home...

XBox/PS3/Steam/Origin ID:Evangelo2
post #37 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Where do you go to download a copy of your movies? Can you download the HDX version if you own it? I wouldn't mind doing this since I have a great big NAS at home...

Login to your Vudu account on your computer, go to "My Movies", go to whatever movie you want to download and click Download HDX.

Simple.
TowerGrove likes this.

post #38 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Would never go to a streaming service. If it's not FULL HD with DTS HD MA and DolbyTrueHD then it's not HD. I didn't spend a small fortune on my audio set up to listen to Dolby Digital.
mikela, mike1812, gwsat and 6 others like this.
post #39 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
^^

Thats where im at. I want to hear my 7.1 dts-ma or dolby true hd. Makes me happy =)
mike1812, kopkiwi and chiptouz like this.
post #40 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I have over 700 Blu-rays and have sold another 100 or so. The only issue I have with the streaming option is the audio. Once that is fixed, I will go the Imagic route. I will keep the very best of my collection and dump the rest, evem if I donate them to the local library, I which I have already done on occasion. Streaming or downloads is the future. I have a closet full of BDs (from being a reviewer) and all they do is collect dust. I will have to clear out a couple of hundred this summer. Gee, I still have over 100 HD DVD's. I wonder what I will do with those?
post #41 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Login to your Vudu account on your computer, go to "My Movies", go to whatever movie you want to download and click Download HDX.

Simple.
Not everything is available to download in HDX. And can you stream the downloaded movie to DLNA devices on your network? I know when I first downloaded movies from Amazon using their Unbox software way back when, I could stream it to my Xbox 360 via Windows Media Center.

I'm not against streaming, but my problem is that I don't trust these entertainment corporations and ISP's at all. Remember Wal-Mart, Microsoft and Yahoo all closed down music streaming services. Video services aren't immune to this either. And Ultraviolet is only as good as long as these big corporations don't decide to try "the next big thing". These guys don't care at all about the consumer. Trusting them to do the right thing is an easy way to get screwed over.
techflaws likes this.
post #42 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I agree with Kopkiwi, everyone talks about the picture and I will admit Vudu is getting pretty close on the video side. The sound however is only DD+ at best. If I was watching in my bedroom with TV speakers or even a sound bar I would be okay, but not for your HT system. One more thing, Blu-rays are getting cheaper and cheaper and to me that's cheap insurance. What if you loose internet service? I still buy Blu-rays, but like many I try to buy them with a digital copy. I usually buy mine when they are on sale. I bought "Man of Steel" for $10 and "Wolf of Wall Street" for $12, with Ultraviolet Digital copy. There is NO WAY I'd pay for $35 for a movie! If streaming services start including high res audio I might start paying attention. I use Vudu and iTunes to back up my digital copies. By the way Life of Pi and 007 are both on sale for $4.99 each at Best Buy this week with a UV copy and no streaming service can beat that!

Life is what you make it.......
post #43 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post

Hi, why did you decide to sell a $2,000 investment for $340 instead of keeping the library but not buying any new ones? smile.gif [Perhaps you mention it in the article, only skimmed it through fairly quickly as I am at work and am supposed to be getting my coffee right now.. :P ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post

How does vudu hdx look on 110"+ projection?

I would gladly drop discs if only I could download full quality BDs. Not even close to that where I live unfortunately. I always seek maximum quality and streaming/download does not provide that yet for me in my country.

It looks pretty good, I have to say. But I have only rented a couple of movies that way yet, not bought. I do think on a big project screen Blu-ray wins plus I like having the physical copy anyway.

I think of it as recovering $340 from a $2000 expense. Investments are supposed to increase in value, most Blu-ray releases will not do that.

Many of the titles I might care to watch again came with UV codes that I redeemed. For those titles, you could say that I got rid of the discs, not the movie.
TowerGrove likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #44 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Of course they do. One would expect no less of them. So lack of ability to resell and uncertainty as to how long you will be able to retain access to the title makes it little more than a very expensive rental. Like I said, the landscape is evolving.

This is simply not for me.
These are my thoughts exactly. Even if streaming quality eventually surpasses bluray quality, I will not spend my money on a very expensive rental. Not when I could spend that money on a hard copy that I am free to use as I see fit, essentially forever. Plus when your internet connection goes out, which it's bound to do for everyone occasionally, is exactly when you're going to feel like watching a movie.

You don't have to stream. iTunes and Vudu both offer HD downloads.
TowerGrove likes this.

post #45 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

I don't think you can choose where the file is downloaded. So, I don't think you can put them on that NAS ... But, then, I don't actually know.
post #46 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I think of it as recovering $340 from a $2000 expense. Investments are supposed to increase in value, most Blu-ray releases will not do that.

Many of the titles I might care to watch again came with UV codes that I redeemed. For those titles, you could say that I got rid of the discs, not the movie.

Well, I thought of the return more like in terms of quality of life or say being able to easily refresh your "culturednessness" (say through a re-viewing of 300) :-P. But yes, if you were able to keep many/most of the ones you liked in UV codes, why not.
post #47 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post

Those examples were just a quick illustration. I could list literally hundreds of silly or obscure laws that 'honest law abiding' people break every day.

Suffice to say I guarantee you break some laws, we all do. So please come down off your high horse. If you won't rip discs for other reasons (cost, lack of technical knowledge etc.) that's fine.

Sounds to me like you are just butt-hurt because he buys all his stuff legally and it's making you feel guilty.

I do the same for everything except some old, obscure anime tittles that are very difficult to find. In general, if it's available for purchase commercially, I don't bootleg it. Including music. (I still buy CD's)
DavidK442 and thrillcat like this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #48 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bet many of my Blu Ray discs have gone up in value. I know Third Man Criterion did. I believe most of the oop criterions I have did.

You can suggest blu rays are worthless... if it helps you with your decision. smile.gif

I actually have a couple hundred movies in Vudu (UVVU) but that's because they came with my Blus... they are fun to share with a couple others I know... I'm not against the whole UV thing... I just know there are better ways to watch movies.
post #49 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I'm thinking more along the lines of tiered service plans. The days of "unlimited bandwidth" will eventually come to a close.

No one will lose money here -- except the consumers.

^ ^ This.

Even casual consumers of streaming video (i.e., most Netflix customers who may not care if it is exactly highest quality picture and sound) are starting to run into data caps, throttling, or higher costs as more content is consumed from the cloud. So there is cost, bandwidth, outages.....all kinds of issues that might make it hard to view what you want when you want. Right now if I want to watch a Bluray movie I own, I just pop it into the Oppo player and get great picture and sound on my Panny plasma. I only buy movies I really want at close to retail price. The rest I wait and purchase on sale or from Amazon at lower prices.

Even if I downloaded Ultraviolet copies of all the movies I own that came with that option...now I have the data cap issues (again), and I now have the issue of backing up terrabytes of data in case I lose the digital copy (assuming I get rid of the Blurays). Lots of data storage at home (or in the cloud) is great.....but if you ever lose it, you better have a hard backup. Physical disks make a good backup. cool.gif
rushfan2112 and techflaws like this.
post #50 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:45 PM

Liked: 10

Mark, after reading a couple of your format comparisons, I was going to PM you today to ask your opinion which on-line service you preferred. So great timing on your part!

I'm about 95% completed with my room and I have taken a break from working and spent more time playing and enjoying.

After putting the media rack back together and stacking my almost 100 DVDs and about 20 BDs, and then looking at the box of laserdiscs sitting on the floor, I began to wonder about how many more times will I go through a media shift in my life time. My collection used to be much larger, but I got rid of the movies that I know I would never watch again. I am also a big fan of Netflix and that service alone has saved me countless dollars by renting instead of buying. So today, I (or the kids) only buy what I know I will watch again and again. 

On Monday I signed up for Vudu, and streamed part of an HDX movie via my Oppo, I thought it looked and sounded fine compared to the handful of BDs I have watched in my room. 

I think a couple of things need to be worked out yet, ... will I use it only to rent? ... when something I want to own comes out, will I go for the BD, or will I HDX it? ... if I can get a BD from Amazon for a couple dollars less than buying it on Vudu, will I go for the hard media?

I'm excited to see how things shake out.

post #51 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

I have seen Gravity and know that all of the Sat's could disappear at any time...............(multiple ways this could happen). No Sat's likely means an end to any Cloud and downloads etc.

I'm keeping my disc's.smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

But buying blu-ray discs for the 1080p video quality is only half of the story. By streaming, aren't you missing out on the HD audio that the blu-ray also provides. I know I don't get 7.1 surround from my cable provider on the premium channels and you hear stories of how the red-box movie audio is degraded in some fashion when compared to the retail version.

Does anyone have comparisons of how the audio from streaming sources stack up to the blu-ray version?

Some say the audio makes a big difference, I have yet to hear it. There is a small quality difference that is akin to the difference between an iTunes audio file vs. CD. The audio from iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, etc. is just about identical to DVD audio. Dolby Digital + on Vudu goes up to 7.1 channels.
antoniobiz1 likes this.

post #52 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some say the audio makes a big difference, I have yet to hear it. The audio from iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, etc. is just about identical to DVD audio. Dolby Digital + on Vudu goes up to 7.1 channels.

If you can't hear the difference you're practically deaf...have that checked. Hearing aid tech is good now.

I think more than anything you are constantly trying to convice yourself this was a good idea.

And, so long as that works, more power to ya.
Kilgore likes this.
post #53 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

Now hold on there... my BDP S5100 is my preferred streaming device. biggrin.gif

I bought one of these several months ago for our bedroom tv after reading your experience with it. It is a great box, both for discs and streaming. Wish I would have bought another one now.
post #54 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post

I currently have a library of around 500 movies. I would love to shrink it down and not take up a wall of movies. But my Internet is just not that reliable. I have comcast and its 50mb, but it is always slowing down or losing connection. I swear my house is made of lead.

Robert

If space is the issue, you can always do what I did...buy a few of those 200+ disc carrying cases that DJ's use and get rid of the cases that your discs came in.  My six-hundred-some-odd DVD/Blu-Ray collection now fits on a single 17" wide shelf in the bottom of my TV stand.

I'm in the best-of-both-worlds camp.  When it comes to purchasing, I am still firmly in the physical media camp.  However, that doesn't stop me from streaming, either.  The beautiful thing is that most new Blu-Ray releases include a free digital copy.  To me, it makes zero sense to buy a movie directly from Vudu, Flixster, iTunes, etc. when, for the same price, you can buy the Blu-Ray and get the digital copy included.

The whole debate of streaming vs. physical media seems silly to me.  To use an analogy, I view physical media as peanut butter and streaming as jelly.  I've been buying peanut butter for a long time.  It has been and continues to be great.  Then jelly came along and it's pretty good too.  You know what's better than either peanut butter or jelly?   Peanut butter AND jelly.  Why would you throw away peanut butter just because jelly came along?

I have a few of those in my basement, full of CD and DVDs. I never use them.

post #55 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I think this is a bad idea with all of the ISP restrictions coming down on consumers. With caps as low as 150GB per month and the large file size that these movies have, you could see yourself paying another chunk of change on top of your internet bill for going over your allotted maximum. Now unless Google fiber starts reaching out faster, ISP's will continue to put pressure on consumers who like to use massive amounts of data. Depending on an animal like the internet to stream terabytes of info a year doesn't seem like a great idea these days. Unless you live in Japan, then by all means, go for it biggrin.gif
post #56 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I guess I'm exposing my ignorance here. How is licensing handled on those downloads? Does your player have to connect to a server or anything to play the content? Or is it a simple, unencrypted file that you can move around and play however/whenever you want?

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #57 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Quote:

Some say the audio makes a big difference, I have yet to hear it. The audio from iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, etc. is just about identical to DVD audio. Dolby Digital + on Vudu goes up to 7.1 channels.

If you can't hear the difference you're practically deaf...have that checked. Hearing aid tech is good now.

I think more than anything you are constantly trying to convice yourself this was a good idea.

And, so long as that works, more power to ya.

Haha. I guess a disproportionate number of practicallying deaf people are responsible for the results of numerous tests that show how hard it is to hear the difference between 256 kbps or 320 kbps compression vs. CD.
antoniobiz1 likes this.

post #58 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post

Would never go to a streaming service. If it's not FULL HD with DTS HD MA and DolbyTrueHD then it's not HD. I didn't spend a small fortune on my audio set up to listen to Dolby Digital.

That's fine, but it does not mean you actually would hear a big difference. 24/96 audio is massive overkill.

post #59 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

Quote:

I guess I'm exposing my ignorance here. How is licensing handled on those downloads? Does your player have to connect to a server or anything to play the content? Or is it a simple, unencrypted file that you can move around and play however/whenever you want?

It is something in between, the downloaded version is not a simple, unencrypted file but it is intended for offline viewing.

post #60 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 189
When I pays out the money, I like to see what I paid for. No matter what the price, I own it, I can play it again over, and over, anywhere in the house. Streaming, pay your money. If you want to watch it again, guess what? (Excepting NetFlix, possibly others where it's a Flat Fee. And you can watch it as many times as you want.)
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page