Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

post #61 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I think you don't go for SACD or Blu Ray audio and such... given you think DVD audio was the best ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I'm thinking more along the lines of tiered service plans. The days of "unlimited bandwidth" will eventually come to a close.

No one will lose money here -- except the consumers.

That would be a great battle between Internet providers and movie studios. All the ISP with their 20megas+ clients now that they don't pay for that much bandwith just to play youtube videos or online gaming but for downloading/streaming (legally or not) HD movies. The moment the Internet providers stop giving unlimited bandwidth and putting a price on it they know the type of clients that pay for such bandwith would put on the balance the price rise and rather choose to not pay for the bandwidth price, leave a basic internet connection and use the money to buy physical media again. It's 2001-2002 all over again.
post #63 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Blu-rays are not that expensive if your a smart shopper and you own it, have the best audio and picture available at this time. Vudu to me is more a convenience. If it works for you and you like listening to your movies through the TV speakers go for it!

Life is what you make it.......
post #64 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Having to do an entire download of everything I watch seems wasteful to me. It really does.

Vudu doesn't offer full Blu Ray quality but you still download a lot of data that typically just gets tossed after.

Just seems terrible wasteful, honestly.
Osirus23 likes this.
post #65 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I think you don't go for SACD or Blu Ray audio and such... given you think DVD audio was the best ever.

I assume you are not referring to me since I made it clear that Blu-ray audio does sound a bit better than DD+. But so would 16/48 uncompressed audio. Regardless, the differences fall under the JND (just noticeable differences) category.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Having to do an entire download of everything I watch seems wasteful to me. It really does.

Vudu doesn't offer full Blu Ray quality but you still download a lot of data that typically just gets tossed after.

Just seems terrible wasteful, honestly.

I was only thinking of the sort of person who would want to watch a movie on the day all the world's satellites are destroyed. smile.gif

Waste is in the eye of the beholder. Making and transporting physical media that only carries bits (digital data) some me as wasteful. Burning gas to go to a store just to buy a movie... wasteful.
Brian Hampton and TowerGrove like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post

Blu-rays are not that expensive if your a smart shopper and you own it, have the best audio and picture available at this time. Vudu to me is more a convenience. If it works for you and you like listening to your movies through the TV speakers go for it!

My system plays at reference and can do so as low as 14 Hz. Nice try.

post #68 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post

Would never go to a streaming service. If it's not FULL HD with DTS HD MA and DolbyTrueHD then it's not HD. I didn't spend a small fortune on my audio set up to listen to Dolby Digital.

+1

For me, it's the advanced audio formats that make BluRay my choice when I really want the best. Otherwise I'll just PVR it from HBO or another channel. While the video is not as good as BluRay, I find satellite compression (Dish) as good or better than the streaming I have seen.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #69 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

If you can't hear the difference you're practically deaf...have that checked. Hearing aid tech is good now.

I think more than anything you are constantly trying to convice yourself this was a good idea.

And, so long as that works, more power to ya.

remember you're in the 'everything sounds the same' forum
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #70 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

I don't think you can choose where the file is downloaded. So, I don't think you can put them on that NAS ... But, then, I don't actually know.

I can't speak for Vudu (because I haven't downloaded any to try it), but iTunes downloads can be streamed to any device you have authorized to access your iTunes account, provided the device supports iTunes DRM.  I have all of my iTunes digital copies stored on the hard drive in my Windows 8 laptop and regularly back that up to my portable Seagate Wirelss Plus.  I can then stream my movies from the Wireless Plus hard drive to my iPad using the Wireless Plus's built-in wi-fi router (no internet/external wifi connection or cords required).  Technically, because of the DRM involved, the iPad has to connect to the Wireless Plus using Safari and the Wireless Plus web interface rather than the Seagate Media app, but you can still browse your library using the app (it just automatically launches Safari and connects to play the movie when you select the movie from the app).  Again, the device you are playing the movie on must be authorized to access your account.  I tested this by trying to play a movie from my library on my wife's iPad (we use two separate iTunes accounts) and it would not play.  So, if you want to stream iTunes purchased/redeemed movies/TV shows from your NAS to your TV/projector, you would likely need to use an AppleTV to do it.  I don't have an AppleTV, but if I wanted to watch my iTunes movies on my TV, I think I could just hook my laptop up to the TV using an HDMI cable.  I don't remember if I've actually tried this as I own all of the same movies on Blu-Ray (that's where I got the digital copies to begin with), and it's just as easy to pop the disk in.  I'll try it out when I get home and report back.

post #71 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

My system plays at reference and can do so as low as 14 Hz. Nice try.
Ha ha...I wasn't referring to your personal use, but in general. I can see where your coming from though.rolleyes.gif

post #72 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a few of those in my basement, full of CD and DVDs. I never use them.

Wait --- You kept the CDs and DVDS but the Blu had to go ... you're kidding right?...

Anyways,... it makes for good entertaining reading.. I like hearing about other people's perspective and so on.

I recently took a box of CDs to sell and was surprised to get offered $79 ! Which I then used for a handful of 3D blu rays.
post #73 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Quote:

I have a few of those in my basement, full of CD and DVDs. I never use them.

Wait --- You kept the CDs and DVDS but the Blu had to go ... you're kidding right?...

Anyways,... it makes for good entertaining reading.. I like hearing about other people's perspective and so on.

I recently took a box of CDs to sell and was surprised to get offered $79 ! Which I then used for a handful of 3D blu rays.

I didn't want the Blus to suffer the same fate!

post #74 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

I think he already had most of his BD collection as digital downloads and/or had zero interest in watching them again.  Even if he hasn't used his CD's or DVD's in a long time, he might still be holding onto them on the off chance that he decides to re-rip the CD's to lossless and use the disc-to-digital feature for his DVD's.  Or perhaps he has some sort of sentimental attachment to the older discs that he doesn't have to the more recently purchased Blu-Rays.  Shrug.  There are quite a few possible reasons that could make sense.

If it were me, I wouldn't have sold the Blu-Ray discs either, but, to each his own.

post #75 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 02:51 PM

One thing I have found is that by keeping some of my old CD's pristine in the jewel case and put away after ripping them lossless is that they are worth some money. Especially if they are out of print. smile.gif I wonder if the same would happen to Blu-rays.......naaaaahhh. Probably not. Something new and better will come along.

post #76 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Some say the audio makes a big difference, I have yet to hear it. There is a small quality difference that is akin to the difference between an iTunes audio file vs. CD. The audio from iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, etc. is just about identical to DVD audio. Dolby Digital + on Vudu goes up to 7.1 channels.

I know for a fact that when I switched my AVR from a Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX to a Pioneer SC-1522-K I noticed a big improvement on the audio side using the same exact speakers.
I'm sure that the new receiver itself had an impact on the sound, but the older one was a THX Elite model, not an entry level $200 AVR.

So I attributed the majority of the sound improvement to being able to take advantage of DTS-MA/Dolby-HD and true 7.1 that I couldn't get before since it wasn't around (and HDMI was fairly new) when the receiver was made.

post #77 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So, is Vidu the equivalent of Steam for games as this is for movies?

Get rid of loads of discs for... lots of hard drives. It is not fun. Especially when people fills up drives of movies in jig time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiforce View Post

I think this is a bad idea with all of the ISP restrictions coming down on consumers. With caps as low as 150GB per month and the large file size that these movies have, you could see yourself paying another chunk of change on top of your internet bill for going over your allotted maximum. Now unless Google fiber starts reaching out faster, ISP's will continue to put pressure on consumers who like to use massive amounts of data. Depending on an animal like the internet to stream terabytes of info a year doesn't seem like a great idea these days. Unless you live in Japan, then by all means, go for it biggrin.gif

Wasn't there information on 4k films that was about 300GB per download?
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

When I pays out the money, I like to see what I paid for. No matter what the price, I own it, I can play it again over, and over, anywhere in the house. Streaming, pay your money. If you want to watch it again, guess what? (Excepting NetFlix, possibly others where it's a Flat Fee. And you can watch it as many times as you want.)

I can understand. Been trying to get my phone line sorted since February with intermittent faults and lost internet access completely for over 3 weeks with 11 engineer visits trying to sort it. That and putting up with a hissing and spitting crackling phone line that was nearly screeching like a 56k modem. 1 did or appears to since yesterday/today.

It's amazing once you lose internet access and/or a flaky line because you cannot download, how far you feel back in the stone age. Especially how infuriating it is when engineers know there's a problem and can't find the fault. Or it takes another week to send another engineer out because of the weird and wonderful suppressive regime of Health and Safety. When in total it took one engineer supervisor 2 days to fix a fault that 10 others couldn't find in the space of 4 months.

Lots of pros and cons to this downloading films/streaming. Imagine how hacked off one would feel when a line fault kicks in streaming a newly released film. You're cut off 58 minutes in.

angry_rock_van_damm_gif.gif
post #78 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 03:22 PM

Liked: 18
Music or movies are your property and ripping them for your private use is not illegal, you paid for that intellectual property, there are many laws regarerding the sharing of data. To sell or otherwise distribute it for free or for $$ is illegal. Even live public displaying of it for free or $$ fall under the same law.
post #79 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccool View Post

Music or movies are your property and ripping them for your private use is not illegal, you paid for that intellectual property, there are many laws regarerding the sharing of data. To sell or otherwise distribute it for free or for $$ is illegal. Even live public displaying of it for free or $$ fall under the same law.

In the US, that is not the case since bypassing encryption is illegal. Aside from that, sure... it's legal to make a backup copy of licensed digital media.

post #80 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This article is very interesting. It addresses the quality of HDX very well, but the other side of the equation is what it means to own something on an online streaming service. I have a very small Blu-ray collection, and there's a few more discs I want, but I don't plan on having hundreds of movies, since I rent most of what I watch. For renting, VUDU is ideal, but the idea of buying something through them or even iTunes makes my skin crawl bit, as I don't have the physical disk, and they could modify or change my access at any point in time, versus a Blu-ray that I own. I do buy content online, I have paid iPhone and Android apps, but I figure that within a few years most of them will be obsolete anyways, and Google and Apple are two of the three (along with Amazon) most trustworthy cloud service providers. I have local, DRM-free copies of all of my iTunes music (I even cracked the DRM off a long time before they offered DRM-free tracks), but now I just subscribe to Slacker radio for most of my music.

I think the future is streaming, but that future doesn't have much of a place for ownership, it is going to be mostly renting or subscription-based, so that if a better service comes along, people will just move and not lose anything...
post #81 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

+1

For me, it's the advanced audio formats that make BluRay my choice when I really want the best. Otherwise I'll just PVR it from HBO or another channel. While the video is not as good as BluRay, I find satellite compression (Dish) as good or better than the streaming I have seen.

+1

I only willing to watch anything streamed if it is a TV series such as sitcoms. Anything remotely serious, it's blu-ray only. Nearly 2,000 BD...no problem with space...yet.
mo949 likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #82 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I still prefer Blu-Ray discs because the streaming companies still crop the movies, therefore not preserving the original aspect ratio.

post #83 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

That's fine, but it does not mean you actually would hear a big difference. 24/96 audio is massive overkill.
It's more than that. With the higher end audio you get much better dynamic range, better channel separation. I can hear a HUGE difference between DD and DTS hs ma. The sound is more defined and the surround separation is of a better quality.

Like I said, if a loss in quality doesn't bother you then hey... go for it. But to make like you're not going to lose quality... well... you'd be wrong. Either that or you're not hearing the quality that is there in the first place and if that's the case then it's either your ears or your equipment.
mikela likes this.
post #84 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

Lots of pros and cons to this downloading films/streaming. Imagine how hacked off one would feel when a line fault kicks in streaming a newly released film. You're cut off 58 minutes in.

My connection through Comcast is not stable enough to do streaming only. Someone farts in the area and no power, no internet. The Infrastructure in the U.S. is one of the worst in the world. This is the problem with streaming. You don't own ****. You are life long borrowing. When this band aid economy finally really collapses, the first thing to bite it is entertainment. So UV and Vudu go under tomorrow, where are your movies??? Oh yeah, they are buried in a company that can go under at any time with no way for you to get to your investment. Not to make this political, but come on, wake up. When a company/organization/government holds onto something you bought and owned but can't actually have that's socialism. OR it could be people just being completely lazy. tongue.gif

I'll keep MY discs. You go ahead let someone else dictate during a storm if you can watch a show or not. I'll pop my house generator on, put in a Blu-Ray and keep on keeping on. wink.gif
jevans64 likes this.

Cool Beans.
post #85 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I would use streaming for tons of content that I would just watch once. Most films that are made and TV for that matter, aren't worth watching more than once. For real keepers, I would still want the BD. Those really aren't that many per year. At least IMHO.
jproy13 likes this.
post #86 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Interesting article. I wonder if anyone else, like me, just trashes the Ultraviolet Digital Copy insert when they buy Blu-rays? I never knew anyone used them at all, let alone exclusively.
post #87 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

This is the problem with streaming. You don't own ****. You are life long borrowing. )

That's an excellent point with these types of services There is no promise that they won't fold, and all bets are off if they get bought by other complanies. If some one buys up comcast there is no obligation for the new company to honor old contracts or cloud space.

I've been down this road quite few times. Things change and sometimes the changes are not wanted or expected. My Boxee box is a perfect example of this. It was bought by Samsung who has completely discontinued it.
post #88 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I can't justify spending so much money on my sound system and not having the best quality sound to play through it. I'll watch TV series and stuff on Netflix because I'd be watching it on TV other wise anyway, but for movies it's almost always blu, even if I rent.
David Susilo and robnix like this.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #89 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Someone else said it, but I'll reiterate it...lllooossssyyyy sssoouunnddddd!!!!

I don't have a super expensive system but my ears can discern that the movies I've streamed sound like I have my earplugs half way jammed in my ears compared to blu ray.

Also, streaming doesn't look as good, is dependent on my crappy connection, is the same price as my hard copy blu ray, can't be sold when I'm done with it. Wait, how is streaming a good idea in any way whatsoever? Too many compromises for minor convenience IMHO.
David Susilo likes this.

post #90 of 706 Old 06-10-2014, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I too am purchasing more VUDU HDX than I am Blu-ray Discs, I love the service. I have also used the VUDU2go computer program to enter as many of my DVD/Blu-ray collection as I can (currently almost 500). I am quite happy with the quality of the video stream, if I weren't I would not have transferred my collection.

My only complaint with VUDU, and I've emailed them about it, is if I buy a 3D Blu-ray version of a movie, and they have the 3D movie in VUDU, why don't I also get the 3D version. VUDUs reply was, they're 2 different delivery formats (duh) which isn't compatible with VUDU - huh? Yep, that was the answer I got - to me 3D is 3D, if I own it and enter the code, 3D should also be available to me.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page