Dune audio, downmix ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I need to order another Dune for the living room. I have a Smart D1 for my theater for HD audio. I have tried it plugged directly into a flatscreen via HDMI and it seems to be downmixing fine to 2 ch stereo. I am looking at a 303D for the living room but am not sure it will downmix like the Smart D1 does. I don't have a problem spending the money for a second D1. I don't do 3D but that does not mean someone else in the house may at some point wish to watch something in 3D which brings me to the 303D.
Am I safe with the 303D which gives me the 3D option or do I need another D1? Thanks,

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
downmix is working in the same way on 303D and D1.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you. I will order the 303D today. I shouldn't have any trouble getting YaDis to work on it. Everything is in the NAS and working fine on the D1. I assume I just need to tell the 303D where to look for it?

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

yes, if everything is in your NAS you can use 1 yadis for both players
post #5 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While waiting for a answer to the original question here, I asked the same question of Mike at mike@hdi-usa.com (Dune dealer) and this was his response, "If downmix is needed, you need a D1. Downmix of all formats is not supported on the 303D, further there is no BD playback on the 3030D. Very different products. If you like the D1, you should stick with that."

Now I am confused.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-13-2014, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

I guess that Mike was speaking about DD THD that can't be downmixed if it's a mkv (it seems that core DD can't be extracted when DD THD is in a mkv, you can only get passthrough).

What the 303D doesn't do out of the box is multichannel downmix. For this you will need a patch to downmix DD THD/DTS HD to LPCM 5 or 7.1.

And for both things I believe that it's exactly the same thing than a D1...

About the 303D not being able to play BR rips with menu, he's right and that also the same thing on all new 3D models from all brands. But this wasn't a part of your initial question.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I will just order another D1. The thought of a 303D was just in case someone else in the house "might" want to watch a 3D movie.
Right now I have exactly 2 of them and prefer not to watch them.
Right now all the bd's from my 400 disc changer are backed up. I have 300 or so DVD's left to back up from a 400 disc SD changer.
The BD changer can now come out of the rack. My NAS and 2 D1's will fit nicely on the rack shelf that the huge changer is sitting on.
I think for one time viewing of things I won't wish to back up, I will put a small single disc BD player on a shelf in the theater. Should I decide later to put in a 3D media player, I don't think I will have trouble selling the D1.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

that's a clever way of doing things
post #9 of 10 Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
that's a clever way of doing things
I had to do something that my autistic son could deal with AND protect the equipment and content at the same time. When he was little, he ruined just about every VHS that he touched. I even found a PB andJ sandwich stuffed in the VHS player. That was when I decided to rack mount everything and move the rack outside of the living area (in the garage) That made putting a movie into a player a royal PIA. So I bought two 400 disc changers (Sony BD changer and Sony SD changer with Escient interface). At the time of this decision I was still doing High end CRT front projection. So that also involved analog switchers and scalers to bring it all together. To many remotes for a autistic child to deal with. So I installed a Crestron automation system. I had to put a lot of thought into the design of the touch screen user interfaces. With all the switching and processing now being done in the background, he is able to find what he wants with no trouble. I knew he could do it after testing with the dumb blonde next door. If she could do it, I knew he could. That's why I chose the YaDis route for the Dunes. Once it is set up correctly, it just doesn't get any easier to select a movie.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-16-2014, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A 2nd D1 is on the way. After some testing, I have (so far) not found any HD audio formats that would not downmix when directly connected to a flatscreen via HDMI
Spent a whole day this weekend designing a touch screen interface and adding 2 Dunes to my Crestron program. The IR file I found on line is working OK but is missing some of the funtionality of the new remote.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page