Amazon Fire TV with Plex or XBMC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By ilpostini2
  • 1 Post By kneedragger
  • 1 Post By kneedragger
  • 1 Post By kluken
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 127.0.0.1, California
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question Amazon Fire TV with Plex or XBMC?

I'm trying to find a good solution for my in-laws. They currently have an Amazon Fire TV and I want to make the UI as easy as possible.

Currently, they have an old WDTV with no wifi and an external USB HDD. When I come over, I load up movies and TV shows for them, but the UI is pretty bad and there is no metadata like with other media players.

Current hardware:
  • Dell Computer with Core2Duo P8600 @ 2.4Ghz and 4GB RAM (Gonna use that to host Plex or XBMC)
  • Amazon Fire TV


I haven't tried XBMC or Plex since I just have a HTPC and play directly from Windows, but I'm wondering which one of those would be the best one for their needs? Ease of use being the number one priority and metadata being second.

Thanks for your input!

BMW E46 | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
ilpostini2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Marshfield, Ma
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
currently using it with XBMC and getting great results.
i have tried OUYA, GBOX Midnight and this is by far the best. I run my HDHOMERUN prime thru XBMC and get great results with Fire TV. I got lots of stuttering and bumble bee with the other units.
Just had a NUC delivered today and dying to try the s/w with it.
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB likes this.
ilpostini2 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
kneedragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB View Post
I'm trying to find a good solution for my in-laws. They currently have an Amazon Fire TV and I want to make the UI as easy as possible.

Currently, they have an old WDTV with no wifi and an external USB HDD. When I come over, I load up movies and TV shows for them, but the UI is pretty bad and there is no metadata like with other media players.

Current hardware:
  • Dell Computer with Core2Duo P8600 @ 2.4Ghz and 4GB RAM (Gonna use that to host Plex or XBMC)
  • Amazon Fire TV


I haven't tried XBMC or Plex since I just have a HTPC and play directly from Windows, but I'm wondering which one of those would be the best one for their needs? Ease of use being the number one priority and metadata being second.

Thanks for your input!
The Amazon Fire TV is a good choice for them. I say try XBMC out first and go from there I think you need to pay for Plex right?
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB likes this.
kneedragger is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 127.0.0.1, California
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpostini2 View Post
currently using it with XBMC and getting great results.
i have tried OUYA, GBOX Midnight and this is by far the best. I run my HDHOMERUN prime thru XBMC and get great results with Fire TV. I got lots of stuttering and bumble bee with the other units.
Just had a NUC delivered today and dying to try the s/w with it.
Thanks!

So if I understand this correctly, I need to change the firmware to get it to work with XBMC? Will I lose any of the stock functionality?

I've installed XBMC on my desktop and have been fiddling with it. It seems pretty nice when paired with Ember Media Manager.

BMW E46 | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
ilpostini2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Marshfield, Ma
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Go to xbmc hub for full instructions. I don't believe it's a firmware change.
You loose nothing on the FireTV by loading XBMC
ilpostini2 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
kneedragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here is the thread on XBMC you want. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191109
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB likes this.
kneedragger is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 127.0.0.1, California
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thank you, everyone. This will help me get started. I do have a question about Ember; does it modify the actual filenames? I do not want to modify the original filenames since I am seeding those files.

BMW E46 | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 127.0.0.1, California
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just found out that Plex has an app at the Amazon App Store which will work with the Fire TV. Looks like I'm gonna use Plex for my in-laws. I do like XBMC since it's more customizable and feature rich, but it's beyond what they need. The XBMC app for the Fire TV isn't native so I would rather go with something that is headache free (for my sake!)

https://plex.tv/amazonfiretv

BMW E46 | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
kneedragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB View Post
I just found out that Plex has an app at the Amazon App Store which will work with the Fire TV. Looks like I'm gonna use Plex for my in-laws. I do like XBMC since it's more customizable and feature rich, but it's beyond what they need. The XBMC app for the Fire TV isn't native so I would rather go with something that is headache free (for my sake!)

https://plex.tv/amazonfiretv
Let me know how Plex runs streaming over a network. Do you play any HD stuff or SD stuff only? I'm curious if the Plex app has improved because I heard it needed some work after release..
kneedragger is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 127.0.0.1, California
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
HD all the way. The biggest gripe I have right now is that I cannot delete files or folders from Plex without them being deleted from my computer. That just seems stupid.

I did stream a 1080p file on my own network to my PS3 with Plex as the DLNA server and there were no hicups. However, it was streaming audio in 2ch mp3. Gross!

I will test Plex with Amazon Fire TV app when I go to my in-laws and see what results I get.

BMW E46 | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 06-13-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kluken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Plex on Roku is far better than on FireTV in my expirience.
kluken is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 06-13-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 127.0.0.1, California
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Plex on Roku is far better than on FireTV in my expirience.
That may be the case, but they already have the Amazon Fire TV. I don't imagine the UI being that much different between the two.

BMW E46 | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint
GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 06-14-2014, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kluken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB View Post
That may be the case, but they already have the Amazon Fire TV. I don't imagine the UI being that much different between the two.
UI is the same, but I can never get videos to format correctly on the screen and fill the screen, they work fine on Plex on Roku. Also can never get 5.1 sound on AFTV, but no problems on Roku. My Fire is being relegated to a lightly used TV as at least for me it was a failed experience.
sheshechic likes this.
kluken is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off