Allshare compatibility chart? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Allshare compatibility chart?

Has anyone compiled a list of Allshare compatible NAS devices that work with Samsung Smart TV's?

For the last 4 years this setup has worked great! 100% compatible:
Media Server: D-Link DNS-321 NAS.
TV #1 : Samsung LN40C630 (2010 model)
TV #2 : Samsung UN55C6300 (2010 model)

I am now looking to upgrade both TV's soon though:
TV#1 : Samsung UN48C6350
TV#2 : Samsung UN55C6350

I have a newer Samsung Blu-Ray player BD-F5900 (2013 model) that can recognize my media server on the network, but is unable to identify any actual viewable files on the media server. I suspect all newer Samsung Smart TV's featuring Allshare will have this problem. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by jfishel; 06-16-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Allshare is just Samsungs custom version of DLNA.

The DLNA server requires Samsung compatibility profiles in order to work, in general that means a well supported DLNA server is advised.

In-house servers
Synology = yes
QNAP = yes
Asustors = yes (have a crazy dual DLNA server called UPnP Server 1 and 2, if one doesnt work the other does).
D-Link = yes/no (poorly supported, some Samsung devices may work and others wont)
Netgear = do not know they use combos of miniDLNA and Twonky (miniDLNA does not have a good rep at least from what I've heard).

Third party that can run on some NAS
Serviio = yes
TVMobili = yes
Plex = yes
Twonky = yes/no (Twonky is an extremely common server on cheap NAS, old versions may not be compatible)

Synology is typically the safest option as you can also run any of the third party servers on it even if by some chance the stock server does not work.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. do you have any references for this, or is this essentially from personal experience?

thank you very much!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Mix of both, used them all at one point or another and seen plenty of other users experiences along with a lot of DLNA experience.

D-Link is probably the worst option for Samsung because of their lacklustre in-house UPnP server, they are up their with Buffalo and Western Digital in not being keen on running other programs on their NAS at least not easily, you can find plenty of advanced hacking for most NAS and it's possible to install Twonky 7 (latest version) even on the old D-Link DNS 3xx series. I believe someone has even managed to get Serviio running on those too but it's not something for your average user to easily pull off.

The deluxe NAS are Synology, QNAP, Asustor, Netgear (only their latest stuff) and Thecus, these all allow the packaging of apps that make it easy to install on the NAS so you can replace the built in DLNA media server with something better if you need to and not have to be a full on linux guru either.

Zyxel make decently cheap NAS too, I think they use Twonky and keep it up to date or so I was told but I haven't checked on that.

Serviio is the very best option as your preferred DLNA server if you can get it, lots of features and plenty of settings to give you exactly what you want. However it also requires Java runtime and needs a little more processing power but most entry level NAS that can run Serviio already meet these criteria (at least models from the deluxe vendors). Serviio is good for media libraries or just raw folders (think browsing network shared folders), whichever layout floats your boat.

TVMobili is also a good DLNA server, ideal for low end systems and not as resource hungry as Serviio, TVMobili isn't as good for media libraries but is good for raw folders.

Plex doubles as DLNA server and of course has it's own Plex clients, not recommended for low end systems (anything Arm or PPC), works best with x86 based NAS, Plex is very resource hungry and CPU intensive. Plex is great for media libraries but bad for raw folders.

Twonky is a serviceable DLNA server that's been around a long time. The people who make it are horrible to deal with and the server is just not that well featured, only good for raw folders but it doesn't even get that right with very poor levels of customization. Lot's of low end commercial NAS have Twonky and they are rarely updated to the current version.

Last edited by Alx330; 06-17-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

It still sounds like chances are not good that the newer Samsung TV's will work with my DNS-321 in its current stock form. Unfortunately it's pretty awkward trying to haul that thing into a local store to test it out. I am competent at Linux and read up on the Twonky install on the DNS-321, it doesn't seem too painful.

I greatly appreciate all your input, it has been very helpful.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Just as a point of record, I did take my DNS-321 NAS into BestBuy yesterday. Interestingly enough the sales person was not surprised at my request to hook up the NAS to the TV and check compatibility. The same behavior was seen as I saw on my Samsung BD-F5900 bluray player; The TV (UN48H6350) can successfully identify my media Server, but no actual files contained on the Server. Oh well...

I'll look into Synology servers, as you said they have the highest compatibility rate.