Stream Slideshow on Lobby TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stream Slideshow on Lobby TV

Hi there. I've been hired to install a flat screen tv in a businesses lobby. The TV is a Samsung T27B350ND, which is a computer monitor as well as an HDTV. It has a USB port, HDMI inputs, but no networking capabilities.

These people want a photo slideshow to be playing on the TV all day long for their customers to view while sitting in the lobby. Basically they want a digital signage system they can update with new events and ads on a regular basis.

The owner showed me the slideshow on his macbook so I was thinking of finding a way to screen share it on the TV. He thinks that the Chromecast dongle will work, but I'm not finding any info supporting it.

They don't want me to run any cables through the walls from the computer to the TV. They did say they'll get another TV if needed to get the slideshow working wirelessly.

Any help coming up with a system would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-17-2014, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I doubt the TV has any native digital signage feature of it's own so it's just a display. It might have a basic slideshow feature on the USB media player built into the TV or check the Samsung app store if it exists on that model and see if there is anything which connects to a cloud photo storage service like Flickr for instance.

If your good with software there is a free digital signage platform called Xibo with clients that run on PC's and tablets but it would mean plugging one of those into the TV, an Android stick might be an option or Amazon's FireTV box if it's possible to side load it (android client is not free but very cheap).

An AppleTV can do display mirroring from his Macbook but I doubt thats an ideal solution.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-18-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjill View Post
He thinks that the Chromecast dongle will work, but I'm not finding any info supporting it.
I haven't actually done it but you may be able to run a slideshow running the Android Allcast app which casts to the Chromecast dongle which plugs into your TV's HDMI port.

Allcast can cast from a number of sources including: Gallery, Media Server, Google+, Google Drive.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page