media player 250$ or less BEST options to consider? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
media player 250$ or less BEST options to consider?

i basically want something that will play whatever container and file type i throw at it, i have a lg brp and 3 panasonic brp's in the house (a lg and panny in the living room and panny in all the other bedrooms) and im so sick of one or the other not playing something. i would prefer sub 150$ if possible but id go up to 250$ if need be.

so what suggestions should i look at? i had a older roku which honestly i never liked, and a netgear from a couple years ago which died on me. so have only had the brp's since then. so its been a couple years since looking for one of these. i was tempted by the samsung f7500 but saw it fully supports cinavia even over dlna and i have blu ray pretty covered anyway. i was looking at the new amazon fire but after reading the thread here im not so interested anymore. open to any brand as long as they have decent firmware support so its not a door stopper in a few months. or is there a brp with very capable dlna without cinavia thats worth it over a media player? i dont mind the two boxes if that is the better way to go.

any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by thezman; 06-23-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezman View Post
i basically want something that will play whatever container and file type
Get a PC, install Plex Media Server, then buy the newer Roku's, install Plex client on the Roku or just use the Roku as DLNA client (Plex Media is also a DLNA server) and you'll be able to play anything you throw at it as Plex will transcode any filetype to that which is supported by the client.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
if you want 3D playback => mede8er x3D range
if you just want 2D => try to find a second hand Dune Smart
post #4 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
if you want 3D playback => mede8er x3D range
if you just want 2D => try to find a second hand Dune Smart
+1. Although, for better support, whether 2D or 3D, I'd still recommend the Mede8er X3D at this point.

Also, if you don't need full 3D (meaning only SBS and top/bottom), I'd also consider a Chromebox with OpenELEC installed. Boots up to XBMC in about 5-6 seconds and plays just about everything. Plus, you get XBMC's terrific movie/TV jukeboxes and skins like Aeon Nox or Amber.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #5 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
+1. Although, for better support, whether 2D or 3D, I'd still recommend the Mede8er X3D at this point.

Also, if you don't need full 3D (meaning only SBS and top/bottom), I'd also consider a Chromebox with OpenELEC installed. Boots up to XBMC in about 5-6 seconds and plays just about everything. Plus, you get XBMC's terrific movie/TV jukeboxes and skins like Aeon Nox or Amber.
Just replaced my WDTV Live Hub with a Chromebox running OpenELEC over the weekend.

<Two Thumbs Up>

Chromebox $169.99
FLIRC $22.99
Whatever Remote Control you have on hand $0.00
or
Just get a DirecTV Remote from Wal-Wart $19.99 (they work great with FLIRC and XBMC)
post #6 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

The ASUS Chomebox looks like a nice little box...but will this support any filetype the OP throws at it?
post #7 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
The ASUS Chomebox looks like a nice little box...but will this support any filetype the OP throws at it?
Not sure, but it has played all of the following so far:

.mkv
.mp4
.m4v
.m2ts
.avi
.mpg

I haven't checked any .flv files, yet. There may be some incompatible streams within the containers, but I haven't run into them, yet. I will check more over the next couple of days.

One thing I did notices, was that the colors were significantly less saturated on the same TV/same Settings than they were with my WDTV Live Hub and less than they are with my DirecTV HDDVR. I am a bit of an XBMC novice, though, so there may be some settings I still need to adjusts.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 315
@thezman
For $80 you can get the WDTV Live-SMP from Amazon.com. Nothing touches it in its class. It plays everything you throw at it with support for HD audio. The only reason to spend anything more is if you want 3D in which case you look at a Mede8ter. WD's support of their device has been exemplary with regular firmware updates over the life of the unit.

Go to the WD website and read about it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

ive read so many mixed things about the wdtv live. i have read about it but many people like it and many people just dont. i dont mind spending a bit more as long as i know either it is worth it to do so and it will play anything i want it to. i dont want to be limited (3d is not a 100% but it would be nice to have. it does seem though 3d is almost dead these days anyway unless im wrong)

as far as a htpc i could build one of those super easy and probably have enough spare parts to do so laying around. but then i need a roku to send the files to? would they not just be able to go to either the tv or blu ray's dlna, just confused there.

never saw the chromebox yet. they look interesting but for the total cost of one i could just buy the mede8erwhat is the major advantage of the chromebox?

thank you for all the info so far!! much appreciated.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezman View Post
as far as a htpc i could build one of those super easy and probably have enough spare parts to do so laying around. but then i need a roku to send the files to? would they not just be able to go to either the tv or blu ray's dlna, just confused there.
Correct you could access Plex Media server via the BR and TV's DLNA client, but it would just be folders. The Plex client gives you the pretty poster view and information about the video and for some people they like the eye candy (below). Plex Media Server is free, you ought to try it on a PC to see if it works for you okay. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is will it transcode to a DLNA client or just the Plex client.

post #11 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13

KDLINKS HD720 perfect..........http://www.kdlinks.com/index.php/med...k-1186-3d.html

MickinCT
post #12 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

never seen the kdlinks before. how is the support and firmware updates? i dont see it mentioned mush if at all yet from my reading here??
post #13 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If you're going to get a Realtek-based player, I'd get Mede8er over KDLinks or any others. Their support is second to none, they have good movie/TV jukeboxes and nice user-built skins, and solid high bitrate 2D/3D playback over network. Just my humble opinion, but I've tried too many 'local playback' media players and basically the best are: M8R, Cloud Media (Syabas), Dune and WD TV.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #14 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page