qobuz: the first lossless streaming service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-23-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
qobuz: the OTHER first lossless streaming service

Surprised there isn't a thread already about qobuz.

Although officially not launched in the US, they are a mainstay in many European countries for audiophiles. While they sell downloads, they are also the first service to offer lossless red-book bitrate/bit-depth streaming.

And while not officially launched in the US, it is in fact possible to sign up and get it unblocked by request.

They don't quite have the selection of Spotify, which exceeds 20 million songs, but they are north of 10 million, and growing, and seem to have all the majors on board.

Anyone using them?



Last edited by nathan_h; 06-26-2014 at 04:10 PM.
nathan_h is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
fascinating silence.

well, i am trying out the 320kbps version, just to see about selection and connectivity and whether they get the quality right at that speed (so far, fewer encoding errors than i have encountered with spotify, but it's early days).

for some reason, though they are a sonos partner, they are not showing up as a service i can add. that's critical for me to pony up for a premium account over time. so i have a ticket in with sonos about that.


nathan_h is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Member
 
twan69666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll bite.

Sounds promising but not for me. I'll just stick to my flac files that are portable because those cant be beat. I'm more into a rock and metal type of genre and those are just not popular streaming formats for lossless streaming. Im content still with cd's (1-2 cd's/month are cheaper than this service) or HDTracks for hi-res options.

I just have trouble supporting any of the streaming services because I dont want to see that become the sole option
twan69666 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 06-24-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 8,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I might give it a whirl. After being very happy, with MOG for years...I am in search of a suitable replacement; and Spotify hasn't exactly wow-ed me yet. But...content is king.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan69666 View Post
I'll bite.

Sounds promising but not for me. I'll just stick to my flac files that are portable because those cant be beat. I'm more into a rock and metal type of genre and those are just not popular streaming formats for lossless streaming. Im content still with cd's (1-2 cd's/month are cheaper than this service) or HDTracks for hi-res options.

I just have trouble supporting any of the streaming services because I dont want to see that become the sole option
Yeah this is not a great option if your prefer physical media, or ownership, bough they do sell downloads too, and seem to monitor provenance better than HdTracks.

But as an alternative to the lossy services it is intriguing. Where else could one stream the recent zeppelin remasters in lossless flac?
nathan_h is online now  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I might give it a whirl. After being very happy, with MOG for years...I am in search of a suitable replacement; and Spotify hasn't exactly wow-ed me yet. But...content is king.
Curious about your spotify comment. Is it audio quality, selection, interface?
nathan_h is online now  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 8,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Curious about your spotify comment. Is it audio quality, selection, interface?

Purely interface. Now, I acknowledge that a) change always takes some getting used to, and b) since I use it with Squeezebox (and now also my Denon CEOL)...the issue may not lie with Spotify entirely; but rather the synergy between the two.


Still...that counts as an overall experience, right; and mine has been lukewarm so far (like...if I search for Jack White, and select him as an artist; and then look at his albums...why do I get like 10 instances of Lazaretto, and 9 of them won't play in my region )

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Purely interface. Now, I acknowledge that a) change always takes some getting used to, and b) since I use it with Squeezebox (and now also my Denon CEOL)...the issue may not lie with Spotify entirely; but rather the synergy between the two.


Still...that counts as an overall experience, right; and mine has been lukewarm so far (like...if I search for Jack White, and select him as an artist; and then look at his albums...why do I get like 10 instances of Lazaretto, and 9 of them won't play in my region )
Yeah, usability is VERY important.

(Not to digress but I have used Spotify on Squeezebox with the third party plug in, not the official one, and been surprised, when it works, at how good it is.)

Back OT:

Finally got to the bottom of why QOBUZ is not accessible via SONOS for me, though I can use the web interface and IOS interface and listen to the lossy stream that way, in an email with SONOS today:

"Qobuz is only available in Austria, Belgium, France, French Polynesia, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland and the UK. US Sonos users do not have access to Qobuz through Sonos.

Regards,
Matt
Sonos Customer Care"

As a recent convert from Squeezebox to SONOS, mostly for stability purposes but also because as new music services emerge SONOS *usually* covers them quicker and better, this is a deal breaker for me, for now -- in terms of QOBUZ becoming my main source.


nathan_h is online now  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off