Roku Netflix streaming issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Roku Netflix streaming issues

Thought this was worth posting for anyone experiencing issues with Netflix and Roku streaming quality

I have a couple of Smart TV's and a Roku attached to each. Yesterday I was streaming Longmire through my Roku and noticed the video quality was horrible. Blurry picture and occasional drop-outs (like someone was walking in front of the filming camera.

Called Netflix and was told I should reset the Roku and my modem. Even after telling them that Amazon Prime content streams fine in HD to my TV through Roku.

So I started to do some experimentation. I tried the Roku on my other TV streaming Longmire and had the same crappy picture. However if I streamed that same show through the Smart TV function it played fine (on both TV's).

So now it appears to be Roku and not Netflix. (both Roku's at Roku 2 XS models).

I also noticed that I am no longer getting the load bar appearing with the number of dots (and the "HD") appearing anymore when using the Roku in Netflix. The red load bar gets about 1/3 to 1/2 and the show appears.on screen.

What I did finally discover, that one TV and Roku combination picture would improve within 20 seconds or so of starting. Then Longmire would be close if not HD quality. The other would not set and Roku would not improve over time.

Found that the Roku with the remaining issue needed a software update (which was for blockbuster on demand) after downloading the update the pix quality improved after the 20 second delay (like the other set/Roku combo).

It appears that Roku has changed something (recently) that loads shows immediately at the lowest resolution and will buffer more information over time until the best resolution is reached. This is a big improvement over their constant re-buffering of content to find the right download speed in the past.

I only wished they would have sent out issued a press release to this effect so it wouldn't drive guys like me crazy trying to trouble shoot something that isn't really broken.

As an aside, on set where I had to update the software on the Roku, I noticed the drop outs still occurring (like someone walks in front of the camera). I think it may be an HDMI cable issue rather than the Roku or Netflix. I'll swap it out and see if that takes car of it.

Though this was worthy of passing on to any experiencing streaming issues with their Roku boxes..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 122
There are now three generations of Roku digital video players. Which generation or model of Roku do you have? Or do you have one of the two models of "streaming sticks"?

Also, the Roku (all models except for the sticks) are suppose to automatically update if left at the top menu (where you see the list of channels) and powered on. Are you exiting all the way back to the top menu and are you leaving the Roku powered on?

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a Roku 3 and experienced issues with Netflix last night as well. My problem was a little different then yours though. When I selected Netflix, my screen was just stuck at the red Netflix intro screen and never would get past it. I checked other apps and they worked fine. Did an update and like you the Blockbuster app updated and one other. I went ahead and unplugged my Roku to reset it. Plugged it back in and went back to Netflix and it came right up. Didn't try streaming a movie though as I assumed everything was fine at that point. What you describe sounds similar to the way my Oppo 103 behaves. Starts out low res and then builds up over time. Very rarely seen that on my Roku 3 but it's possible they changed something and if you say things seem to stream faster then I would guess if they did do something then it is probably to compete with Amazon's player since that device is said to have instant stream picture capability.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 122
http://downrightnow.com/netflix reports that there were service issues with Netflix 16 hours ago, so last night the issue may have been more with Netflix or one or more of its contracted CDNs than with your ISP.

Different devices may be accessing different CDNs, so it isn't unusual for one device to have issues and another work fine because they may be accessing different CDNs and taking different routes to those CDNs.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-26-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
I have a Roku 3 and experienced issues with Netflix last night as well. My problem was a little different then yours though. When I selected Netflix, my screen was just stuck at the red Netflix intro screen and never would get past it. I checked other apps and they worked fine. Did an update and like you the Blockbuster app updated and one other. I went ahead and unplugged my Roku to reset it. Plugged it back in and went back to Netflix and it came right up. Didn't try streaming a movie though as I assumed everything was fine at that point. What you describe sounds similar to the way my Oppo 103 behaves. Starts out low res and then builds up over time. Very rarely seen that on my Roku 3 but it's possible they changed something and if you say things seem to stream faster then I would guess if they did do something then it is probably to compete with Amazon's player since that device is said to have instant stream picture capability.
My Netflix on both my Roku 3 s have been acting up lately. Occasionally start the Netflix app and get same thing red screen just sits there. Other apps works fine, unplug power then back and it works again. Not sure what simul with crappy Roku updates lately.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Search on Netflix for the video clip titles beginning with "Example Short 23.976..."

When you play these on the Roku, they will show you the real-time mbps streaming rate superimposed on the picture. On Roku it takes about 30 seconds for it to adjust up to full rate. You will see the picture sharpness increase visibly. If it starts to fluctuate downward, or it never hits full rate (about 1.5 mbps for Medium quality, about 5.5 mbps for full HD), there's something wrong with your connection.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-28-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
There are now three generations of Roku digital video players. Which generation or model of Roku do you have? Or do you have one of the two models of "streaming sticks"?

Also, the Roku (all models except for the sticks) are suppose to automatically update if left at the top menu (where you see the list of channels) and powered on. Are you exiting all the way back to the top menu and are you leaving the Roku powered on?
(both Roku's at Roku 2 XS models).

I usually exit out of Netflix (or whatever else I happen to be watching) and leave the Roku on (at the menu mode -where it show the apps) and then switch TV input to Satellite.

Strangely when I watch anything on Amazon Prime, I get fast loads (Blue bar) and instant HD content with the Roku. Based on what I see on my set-ups, the issue is with Roku boxes and Netflix content. Netflix works fine using the Smart TV app. Fast loads and HD immediately. Same show using the Roku box and have the Blurry video clearing up to HD quality over time.

I probably should have contacted Roku as this appears to be a problem on their side rather than Netflix.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-29-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I was wondering why my Roku 2 XS's video quality from Netflix is so crappy even when it says "SuperHD" compared to a few weeks ago when HD looked like HD on Roku. Picture quality from Netflix looks better when streamed directly from the Netflix app on my Sony 4K tv.

Vinod

Last edited by vinodk; 06-29-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-29-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I also have a Roku 2 XS and have audio issues.
With Amazon and VuDu, I get at minimum of 5.1 DD on HD content.
With Netflix, I only get stereo.
I tried switching between stereo and surround and same issue.

Should I get 5.1 on Netflix?
*It doesn't seem to matter if it's an old movie or newly released movie.

post #10 of 15 Old 06-29-2014, 11:36 AM

Several months ago I noticed that the Netflix picture quality from my Roku 3 had deteriorated to about VHS quality. Amazon Prime seemed fine. My ISP speed is running at the max available in my area and averages about 18 mps. I attached a 720p Apple TV to the system and started streaming the same movie with both the Roku and Apple TV. The difference in picture quality between the two units was night and day. Titles that could barely be read on the Roku stream were pristine on the Apple feed.

I tried corresponding with Roku for a fix without getting any real help so added a current model 1080p Apple TV to my setup and use that for Netflix etc. I now only use the Roku for channels that are unavailable on the Apple TV unit.

Last edited by DPWN; 06-29-2014 at 11:49 AM.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post
Search on Netflix for the video clip titles beginning with "Example Short 23.976..."

When you play these on the Roku, they will show you the real-time mbps streaming rate superimposed on the picture. On Roku it takes about 30 seconds for it to adjust up to full rate. You will see the picture sharpness increase visibly. If it starts to fluctuate downward, or it never hits full rate (about 1.5 mbps for Medium quality, about 5.5 mbps for full HD), there's something wrong with your connection.
Note-for the one you're responding to...
There are multiple Example Shorts available, but the one with the bitrate infomation onscreen is the one labeled ''Example Short 23.976''.
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70136810

There's a new bitrate indicator short titled ''El Fuente: 60 MP10''.
https://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70297469?trkid=438403
Much better to listen to than Shakespere guy in the Example Shorts.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #12 of 15 Old 06-29-2014, 07:03 PM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The newer Roku models stream Netflix through an adaptive bit rate stream. If your picture is staying blurry for more than fifteen to twenty seconds Netflix is seeing errors on the network path. Netflix is dropping your bit rate down because there is a problem somewhere.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-29-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Its an issue with Roku. Netflix from my Sony 4k tv plays just fine with good picture quality & both are wireless.

Vinod
post #14 of 15 Old 06-29-2014, 10:41 PM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I own 9 Rokus and do not see this issue at all. The adaptive bit rate is being held down on your Roku for some reason.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 372
13 AUG 2014 17:55 PDT 1080p Netflix example short23.796

11:10:05 start > :37sec = 4300 kbp (1080p)> 2:17 = 5800 kbps (Super HD 1080p ) ☺☺☺

Netflix via ATT UVerse is working well since they turned on the Netflix /ATT direct peering connection here after Netflix paid the extortion fees to ATT

Service has been stable and bit rates maintained no buffering much better than before when they were going through multiple level 3 and other hops . only 4 - 6 hops now all ATT and Netflix video server .

2013 Roku 1 on ATT U Verse 18mbps FTTN plan

Trace route 13 AUG 2014 17:55 PDT 1080p Netflix example short23.796

Tracing route to 108.175.41.10 over a maximum of 128 hops
1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms homeportal [192.168.1.254]
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 23 ms 24 ms 27 ms [12.83.39.185] AT&T Worldnet Services ATTSVC- (whois)
5 95 ms 98 ms 101 ms attga02jt.ip.att.net [12.123.22.25] att.net
6 83 ms 93 ms 109 ms [12.255.8.18] AT&T Services, Inc. ATT (whois)
7 84 ms 89 ms 95 ms [108.175.41.10] Netlix streaming services Direct Assignment (whoios)
Tracing is complete with total 7 hops.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-13-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page