Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
pioneer n-30/n-50 nas connection problem

Hi

I have just purchased a Pioneer n-30 streamer which is connected to my router via WLAN. I am able to access and play music from internet radio however I am having trouble getting the n-30 to 'see' my NAS, which is a WD MyCloud 2Tb and runs Twonky media server. I suspect that its the settings in the NAS (either the dashboard and/or twonky) that are the problem as the n-30 can 'see' bubble upnup running on my tablet. Can anyone advise me on how might be the best way to configure my setup.

regards

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-25-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi Matt

I too would suspect the Twonky UPnP/DLNA media server running on the NAS and/or the NAS itself (possibly its network settings and/or its connection to the network). How is the NAS connected to the network?

There are known issues with UPnP discovery not working properly with certain routers, especially when the UPnP supporting devices need to communicate across wireless/wired portions of the network. This could explain why your wirelessly connected N-30 is having problems seeing the the NAS, if it's connected by wire to the router, for example. What router are you using?

The (excellent) BubbleUPnP Android app, running on your presumably wirelessly connected Android tablet, should normally also be able to see the Twonky media server. Does it appear on BubbleUPnP's Libraries list, in the Devices section?

BTW, how have you connected the N-30 to the WLAN - are you using the Pioneer wireless network adapter?

John

Last edited by Cebolla; 06-25-2014 at 12:29 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks John

I'm using a Cisco cable modem/router. The NAS is connected to it by ethernet cable. The N-30 is connected to WLAN via the Pioneer wireless network adapter. I haven't checked, but I am pretty sure that the NAS dosen't come up on the BubbleUPnP's Libraries list. Thanks to your advice, I am now tending to think that the issue might be the router to NAS connection...maybe a firewall setting? I'll check it out tonight and let you know if that is the issue.

Much thanks

Matt
post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Make sure the firmware on the MyCloud is up to date as it covers the Twonky server too.

Should it come to it there are replacement DLNA servers for Western Digital NAS but they are complicated to install, unlike other NAS WD do not make it easy.

Check firewall settings and login to the Twonky control panel and verify the server status.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

I've disabled the firewall in the router and all firmware is up to date, but still no connection to the NAS. I've logged into Twonky but I'm not really sure what I need to look for there. I'm assuming that if the pioneer can play internet radio then the network configuration is ok, that is, DHCP 'on' and 'dont use proxy server'?

Hmmmm

Matt
post #6 of 14 Old 06-28-2014, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Firewall on router shouldn't block Twonky but a firewall enabled on the MyCloud would so I'd check that. The Twonky control panel (not anything in WD control panel) should have a status page or something like that and says if the server is running.

Can your PC see the Twonky server ?, it should appear in Windows explorer (computer/my PC) on Windows 8.x, or install XBMC on PC then add UPnP server and see if it appears.

If it does appear to the PC it might be a compatibility issue, Twonky is not a great DLNA server, install Serviio on the PC and see if that appears to the Pioneer. You can get Serviio on select NAS if it comes to that and it's also possible to install on the MyCloud but as I said it's quite technical whereas other NAS it's simple.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I can access twonky on my pc as shown below, but still cant get the pioneer n-30 to see my nas. I'm not familiar with mucking around with twonky, it may be just a simple setting? I really don't want to ditch the mycloud or try and install servioo on it. I remain optimistic that there must be some way to get the two devices talking.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-01-2014, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

You should be able to get to the Twonky control panel via
Code:
http://myMyBookIPAddress:9000/
Once your in look around (I forget the area) for media receivers or media renderers, Twonky 6 and 7 have a DLNA device profile manual override section, once you find it compare the IP of the Pioneer to the list of IP address in the Twonky list and see what profile is associated with the IP address, if the wrong profile is applied then try changing the profile to a generic one. I doubt it has a specific profile but it may have applied an incorrect one.

However given that neither your Pioneer or Android can see Twonky it might be something to do with the Wi-Fi if only wireless devices cannot see it, I assume the PC is on ethernet ? if not and it's wireless then forget about that theory. DLNA not working over wireless is something I've seen before and it's typically in those cases the result of a firewall, buggy router and/or not very good DLNA server - the server internally has it's own announce hey look at me thing.

Firewall - you've already checked that.
Buggy router - Login to your Cisco router control panel and check that UPnP is enabled and if the option is available IGMP multicast is also enabled. Firmware update to router if one is available is also something to consider.
DLNA discovery engine - Try installing Serviio or Mezzmo on your PC, if the Pioneer cannot see them then it's likely the router at fault, at least that's my hunch.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-01-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post
However given that neither your Pioneer or Android can see Twonky it might be something to do with the Wi-Fi if only wireless devices cannot see it, I assume the PC is on ethernet ? if not and it's wireless then forget about that theory. DLNA not working over wireless is something I've seen before and it's typically in those cases the result of a firewall, buggy router and/or not very good DLNA server - the server internally has it's own announce hey look at me thing
Alx330, the OP has confirmed that UPnP/DLNA is working between wireless devices (therefore UPnP discovery is working, at least partially), since a UPnP/DLNA server on the Android tablet (contained in the BubbleUPnP app) can be seen by the wirelessly connected Pioneer N-30.

So it seems to be classic problem case of a router not forwarding IGMP multicast between the wireless and wired devices on the network only, with wired to wired device and wireless to wireless device UPnP communication appearing to be ok.

However, I don't think the OP has yet to confirm if the Twonky server is up and running properly, at least from the point of view of a UPnP/DLNA player device on the network. A quick test would be to see if the N-30 can see the Twonky server if connected by wire to the network.

Matt, would it be possible for you to connect the N-30 by wire to the router, to test this out?

If the Pioneer can now see the Twonky Server when connected by ethernet cable to the network, it should not only confirm Twonky running properly and being able to work with the N-30, but also that there's very likely a wireless to/from wired (UPnP discovery) communication problem with the router.
Matt, do you know the exact model of Cisco router you are using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post
DLNA discovery engine - Try installing Serviio or Mezzmo on your PC, if the Pioneer cannot see them then it's likely the router at fault, at least that's my hunch.
Would also be a good idea to test this out also with the N-30 connected by cable to the router, if the the N-30 can't see Twonky when wired (to account for the possibilty of Twonky also not behaving itself). An alternative decent UPnP/DLNA media server to try (music only) is the free MinimServer, as its very quick to install and get going. It doesn't use profiles and its default settings should work straight away, once you've pointed it to where your music files are stored. See:
http://minimserver.com/features.html

Last edited by Cebolla; 07-01-2014 at 03:55 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sticking by, I really appreciate the assistance.

I'll try the option of connecting the n-30 to the router by ethernet wire. My router is Cisco Model DPQ3925-X. I'll also check out the IGMP multicast option.

Another thing that confuses me is that I'm able to wirelessly access the WD My Cloud NAS via the My Cloud App on my android phone and tablet, which would suggest to me that there is at least some kind of communication between the router and the My Cloud NAS....or am I simply further exposing my lack of technical know how?!
post #11 of 14 Old 07-01-2014, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

....also, to temper frustration at not being able to stream music files from the NAS to the N-30, I invested in a 128gb flash drive onto which i have copied some of my music. I've stuck this in the front USB hub of the N-30 and all works fine when using the remote, however, the pioneer controller app does not show all of the files on the phone screen, it shows four lines and doesn't allow scrolling down to see the rest, which means i have to use the n-30 screen, which is far from ideal especially with my eyesight. Is there a better app to use? I think my wife is ready to leave me....silly me packed away the CD player and the CD's, to make way for this new whiz bang system I'm trying to implement!!
post #12 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt500 View Post
Thanks for sticking by, I really appreciate the assistance.

I'll try the option of connecting the n-30 to the router by ethernet wire. My router is Cisco Model DPQ3925-X. I'll also check out the IGMP multicast option.

Another thing that confuses me is that I'm able to wirelessly access the WD My Cloud NAS via the My Cloud App on my android phone and tablet, which would suggest to me that there is at least some kind of communication between the router and the My Cloud NAS....or am I simply further exposing my lack of technical know how?!
A quick Google search on that Cisco DPQ3925 cable modem router does indeed show a history of similar problems between wired and wireless devices with UPnP/DLNA and even AirPlay (the Apple Bonjour protocol built into AirPlay uses IGMP multicast packets).

The info came from forums dealing with Aussie cable ISPs, so presumably it's an Australian cable company supplied model. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be as yet any solution to the issue, which dates as far back as 2011, if not earlier!

The main get around appears to be to use the Cisco just for its modem connecting to the internet (WAN) duties and setting it in bridge mode so that another wireless router that does work fully with UPnP/DLNA can be attached to it and used instead for the home network (LAN). Therefore, it's unlikely there's any simple setting to fix the problem.

It would certainly be worth contacting your ISP to see if there is another solution to this problem.

BTW, there are many ways devices can communicate with each other across the network and devices that don't use IGMP multicast shouldn't be affected by this problem. This would explain why the My Cloud app on the wireless tablet still works with the NAS connected by wire to the router.

Last edited by Cebolla; 07-02-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt500 View Post
....also, to temper frustration at not being able to stream music files from the NAS to the N-30, I invested in a 128gb flash drive onto which i have copied some of my music. I've stuck this in the front USB hub of the N-30 and all works fine when using the remote, however, the pioneer controller app does not show all of the files on the phone screen, it shows four lines and doesn't allow scrolling down to see the rest, which means i have to use the n-30 screen, which is far from ideal especially with my eyesight. Is there a better app to use? I think my wife is ready to leave me....silly me packed away the CD player and the CD's, to make way for this new whiz bang system I'm trying to implement!!
Ah, this is very likely to be a problem with the Pioneer itself as I remember it from quite a while back, before it was resolved with a firmware update. The latest firmware update is available from Pioneer, though the versions are different depending on which region you go to. Eg, the US and European ones have it at 1.021, Australia at 1.020 and Japan at 1.022. They appear to be interchangeable and its probably Pioneer not updating their websites, but I would not recommended using another region's firmware!

Once you've installed the latest firmware, you'll also need to update the Pionner ControlApp, if one is available, or reinstall it, if not.

BTW, I held off telling you about the 'official' N50/N30 thread, since your original issue appeared to be network related and not the N30's fault.You can find the thread here:
*Official* Pioneer N-50 Network Audio Player Thread
post #14 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks John

You are a true legend. I have been contemplating upgrading my router, so now the time has come.

Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes.

regards

Matt
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - n-30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page