Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone using Sony VIDEO UNLIMITED ???

I'm AMAZED how little discussion or review there's been on Sony's Video Unlimited service.
So far, I've rented several HD titles and have been thoroughly impressed with the quality.

I'm a BIG blu-ray fan, but even with a 120" projector screen and an excellent audio system, we're willing to stream now and then for convenience.
The problem has been that most streaming services are just woeful quality.

iTunes is reasonable - but the 1080p bitrates are very low (reportedly around 5 Mbps)

With Sony's Video Unlimited service on a Sony BDP-S185 smart blu-ray player (using ADSL2+ internet and a wi-fi extender), we've been seeing peaks of around 15 Mbps, which is about as fast as our internet connection will go. (We also have a PS3, but haven't yet tried VU on it)

The BD-S185 player can display a video bitrate counter, which is handy.
Not sure about the audio, but I'd guess around 640 kbps and 5.1. It'd be good to confirm this, and see if 7.1 is ever available...?

You have to wonder what peak bitrates are possible if your internet connection allows it. Anyone know?
Has anyone streamed higher than 15 Mbps with Video Unlimited (or any other service)?

The fact that Sony is pushing 4K downloads suggests they're putting quality and bandwidth high on their priorities.
Also, VU is a fairly new service, so there doesn't seem to be a big backlog of low-bitrate titles. It seems well geared to make use of high speed connections, now and in the future.
Very promising, and it's good to see SOMEONE leading the way!

One other question I have is about frame rate.
So far, I've only been able to output 1080p60, not 1080p24 as with blu-ray.
As 24p would occupy less space, I'm sure that's how Sony are storing the films. The question is how to get it on our end.....?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-02-2014, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
.......Anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post
.......Anyone?

So far it's only available on Sony TV's and blu ray players and PS-3/4. If they came out with a Roku app then you would hear more about it.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
24p , bit rate , highest quality , sony video unlimited , streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page