LG PB6650 won't connect to wifi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-28-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG PB6650 won't connect to wifi

I have a brand new 50" PB6650 that refuses to connect to my home connection.

At first I tried disabling the security on my router and it connected right away, Netflix loaded up perfectly. Later that night it wasn't working though, it'll say that it's connected but none of the apps will work. I've tried the Netflix diagnostic thing and it'll connect to some of the Netflix servers and say my connection is working, never connects to all of the Netflix servers. Have also tried deactivating the apps to no avail. Don't have any ethernet cables long enough to try a wired connection.

Router is built into my Arris modem, every other wireless device works well, tv is fairly near it. Have also tried connecting the TV with every other device turned off in case it's an IP issue. I know you can manually assign IPs but I've never done it before and haven't tried it. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can continue to troubleshoot this?

Last edited by Luckydragon5; 06-28-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-29-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydragon5 View Post
I have a brand new 50" PB6650 that refuses to connect to my home connection.

At first I tried disabling the security on my router and it connected right away, Netflix loaded up perfectly. Later that night it wasn't working though, it'll say that it's connected but none of the apps will work. I've tried the Netflix diagnostic thing and it'll connect to some of the Netflix servers and say my connection is working, never connects to all of the Netflix servers. Have also tried deactivating the apps to no avail. Don't have any ethernet cables long enough to try a wired connection.

Router is built into my Arris modem, every other wireless device works well, tv is fairly near it. Have also tried connecting the TV with every other device turned off in case it's an IP issue. I know you can manually assign IPs but I've never done it before and haven't tried it. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can continue to troubleshoot this?
You shouldn't have to manually assign ip addresses or dns in your new TV.

Try this... go into the Arris interface to wireless settings and change the Wireless Network Name (SSID), change the Security Mode to WPA-PSK (not WPA2), and change the Encryption Algorithm to TKIP (not AES). You can use this opportunity to change your Pre-Shared Key (wireless password) or retype the one you have been using - the password can stay the same.

I recommend changing the network name so that all of your existing wireless devices including your TV can sign onto a "new" network. Leaving the previous name and changing security settings will cause existing devices like Windows computers, ROKU, other TV's to no longer connect properly to the "old" network with changed security settings.

WPA only with TKIP is more universally compatible with smart media devices.

Other trouble-shooting steps would be to move the router closer to the TV, reposition the router so that it is standing up rather than laying flat or install a range extender in your home like a Netgear N300. With range extenders, stay away from the ones that use the AC wiring as a signal conduit - they can be hit and miss. If you want to try a range extender you want one with antennae.

These steps failing and you are sure you have good signal strength, call the warranty number and tell them about the issue and also the troubleshooting steps you've taken on your end. They will probably send someone to replace the mainboard and/or wifi module. And do remember the WPA-TKIP thing.

Steve

Last edited by sgayres; 06-29-2014 at 05:21 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-29-2014, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgayres View Post
You shouldn't have to manually assign ip addresses or dns in your new TV.

Try this...
Spoiler!

Steve
Thanks for the suggestions, I've changed to the settings you recommended and it seems to have done something.

I manually entered the SSID and deactivated Netflix, still nothing. Initialized the two App settings and it did something because it changed my region to auto. Manually changed region back to USA, deactivated Netflix and was able to get to the log in screen. After I logged in everything was greyed out, like the icons were movies should be. Tried selecting something at random but nothing happened when I tried to select or play. Restarted Netflix and this time they were greyed out but as I scrolled through my recently viewed the top part of the app that shows what you have selected was working, still wouldn't let me play. Restarted Netflix again and it loaded up fine but the show I was trying to play wouldn't load past 25% and then gave me an error, tried a random movie and it worked. Holy ****. Restarted it AGAIN and it loaded up fine for the second time, the show I was trying to play also finally worked!

I watched 30m of an episode until I tried to rewind a bit because I missed a part, for some reason it exited the video and when I tried to play it again it was stuck at 25%, followed by the error. Tried restarting, connection error now. Tried restarting again, connection error. Tried deactivating, connection error. Not working anymore.

I think the TV is receiving internet fine and the problem is with the apps/software. IDK. This is incredibly frustrating
post #4 of 6 Old 06-30-2014, 05:57 AM

I didn't mention that I'm subcontracted service provider who performs in-warranty and out-of-warranty onsite services on flat panel TV's. I don't do a lot of LG work but have replaced some mainboards and panels on a few LG units in the past couple of years.

This type of erratic network-related behavior is unusual but I have seen it happen. It is frustrating and I've seen only had one time where neither a mainboard replacement or a router/modem replacement failed to solve the issue. The manufacturer even replaced the TV with an identical model to no avail.

When I see this partial loading thing it does seem to effect NetFlix more than the other apps. You should rule out distance and interference from electrical fields which can happen when routers are buried behind CRT computer monitors or near fluorescent lights.

Also... check the radio channel in your router. This is in the wireless settings and is defaultly set to auto. Try channel 1, then 4, then 11 to see if the erratic behavior continues. If you are in a congested area, channel selection could come into play. If you want to see the channel traffic that your router had to contend with, install Vistumbler (free). You could go by this list and set your router's wireless channel to one that isn't being used nearby.

After all that and what we did before with the WPA-TKIP settings, I think a call to the LG warranty number is your next step. You could call your cable company at this point but they would have a valid argument that since your other wireless devices work fine, the problem has to be with the TV.

Your goal here will be get LG to send someone out and replace the TV's mainboard by informing them of your troubleshooting steps and that you have done everything on your end that could done to try to get Netflix to work properly.

The suggestion of connecting by Ethernet won't really help pinpoint the cause - even if Ethernet works flawlessly, there is still a wireless issue present either with the TV, router or environment that is preventing Netflix from loading fully and consistently. However, trying it with Ethernet and NOT having the problem would rule out the cause being anything ISP-related outside of your house.

So if the new LG mainboard still gives you the same issues, then you can point your attention to the cable company's equipment they have in your house. Explain to them what has been done so far and suggest that they replace the router with a different model.

Last edited by sgayres; 06-30-2014 at 06:01 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for continuing to help, and sorry for my late replies.

I'm going to install Vistumbler and see what it shows regarding the wireless channels. I've also been meaning to get a longer ethernet cable to see how it works with that, if only to make sure the problem is with the wireless and not the apps.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-03-2014, 03:44 AM

Instead of buying a longer Ethernet cable, you could carry the TV to the router to test a wired connection.

If you pinpoint the cause being a wireless issue, trying a different router would help rule out a wireless problem with the Arris. Get a used residential router (Cisco/Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, et al.) that you or a friend might have stored away. I would reset the router (rear reset hole), update the firmware, configure your network name, WPA-TKIP security, and a wireless passkey. Connect an Ethernet port on the back of the Arris to the single Internet port on the residential router. Test Internet connectivity and speed at speedtest.net with a smartphone or laptop then try the TV.

Be mindful that wireless devices will remember wireless networks that they have connected to in the past unless you tell them to "forget" a connection or go into the wireless settings and delete stored networks. I'm saying this because network-dependent devices (wireless printers, network storage, media servers, shared folders, etc.) won't work on devices connected to the 2nd network and you don't want devices automatically bouncing back and forth between two wireless access points.

If your TV connects to the 2nd router but you want to keep your Arris, do a factory default reset on your TV so that it forgets the Arris connection.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - PB6650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page