• 1 Post By FX4
  • 1 Post By bac522

post #1 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wierd Wi-Fi streaming buffering issue

I have wierd, at least it seems, wierd streaming issue. I was using a 54 MPS wireless router which served my needs just for laptops and tablet. I am getting internet from DSL from local phone company. I decided to start streaming Netflix, Amazon, etc. So I hooked up a Samsung Blu Ray to the wireless network and itt did work for those two. But when I decided to start streaming HULU Plus and M-GO I ran into buffering issues. I figured not surprising considering how old and slow my wireless router is an d maybe those send larger inof.

So I purchased a dual band 300 MPS NetGear router and set it up no issues. HULU Plus and M-Go now work with only minor hick-ups. But now, with the faster server, Netflix is constantly buffering!!! It's so annoying we can't watch it.

I contacted NetFlix and, of course, they blamed my ISP. So I hooked up the Blu Ray player to my router by a cable and absolutely no problems. It streams beautifully. But my wife is not real crazy about the network cable running across the family room floor.

I will run the cable through the basement if I have to. But I would still prefer using wireless if any one has any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-06-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Wired is always better. I switch to an ASUS AC66U router and it has good range and faster wireless speed. However, DSL ISP are pretty slow. You might consider lowering your picture quality under the Netflix settings. May be that will help.
matonanjin likes this.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 10 Old 07-06-2014, 02:12 PM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wireless is not the best way to go for streaming HD video. It can be done but there are frequently many issues to battle. Have you considered MoCA adapters? They work well.
matonanjin likes this.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Most likely just a configuration issue on the wi-fi router, a lot of times just simple placement of the location of the wi-fi router. Try changing channels on the wi-fi AP to see if it helps, ensure the router is setup using a 20/40MHz channel.
matonanjin likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
Wireless is not the best way to go for streaming HD video. It can be done but there are frequently many issues to battle. Have you considered MoCA adapters? They work well.
Thanks for you response. If I understand correctly, a MoCA adapter converts my signal from the DSL to Coax. What exactly is that going to get me?
post #6 of 10 Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Most likely just a configuration issue on the wi-fi router, a lot of times just simple placement of the location of the wi-fi router. Try changing channels on the wi-fi AP to see if it helps, ensure the router is setup using a 20/40MHz channel.
Thanks for your response. This is intuitively logical, since I changed routers. But this means I have to try and figure out how to change "channels on the wi-fi AP", whatever that means.

However, listening to all of your responses here, it seems as though wireless is not the way to go, like I originally thought. I may play with this a little more but will probably end up going wired.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
Thanks for you response. If I understand correctly, a MoCA adapter converts my signal from the DSL to Coax. What exactly is that going to get me?
Less interference and more stable throughput, which is important when streaming video.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-07-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

more stable than what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post
Less interference and more stable throughput, which is important when streaming video.
More stable than what? Than wireless I can understand. But why go with coax rather than network cable? And my blu-ray player that I am using for streaming doesn't have a coax input anyway.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-07-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
More stable than what? Than wireless I can understand. But why go with coax rather than network cable? And my blu-ray player that I am using for streaming doesn't have a coax input anyway.
If you can run an ethernet cable great, go for it. That would be by far the most preferable solution.

MOCA is meant for when there is already a coax run and you do not want to or cannot run ethernet. You don't plug coax into your devices, the MOCA adapter has an RJ45 jack.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-08-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post
If you can run an ethernet cable great, go for it. That would be by far the most preferable solution.

MOCA is meant for when there is already a coax run and you do not want to or cannot run ethernet. You don't plug coax into your devices, the MOCA adapter has an RJ45 jack.
Ah ha! Ok.

Thanks to you, bac522, FX4, GusGus, and anyone else I may be missing on the help with this. Great forum!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netflix , streaming , wireless

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page