• 1 Post By Charles R

post #1 of 28 Old 07-08-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 882
WD MyCloud vs. synology DS214

Just curious about the differences here. Looks like the WD devices supplement the NAS setup with the itunes server, as well as apps to access the entire drive via smartphones which is awesome. Also it appears you can pull files from dropbox as well which is neat if it can be done via smartphone as well. Just thought I would ask if anyone has tried both and the pros and cons of each. My main use for this drive will be my music storage and retrieval device, as well as pics and other files...Thanks!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Last edited by beastaudio; 07-08-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I find there are many NAS snobs per se and they will blindly recommend a high-end NAS. Now they may be justified in some cases such as a requirement to transcode or whatnot. However you need to backup data on a NAS anyway so reliability really isn't an issue. Nor is their typical file serving speeds... sure the high-end models will be faster but in most cases you'll never use it. Some of the really low-end units don't support iSCSI which can nice at times such as using your NAS storage for WMC recordings.

Overall if it supports the features you are looking for I don't see any reason to "over buy"... my two cents worth.
beastaudio likes this.
post #3 of 28 Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 AM
FX4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I find there are many NAS snobs per se and they will blindly recommend a high-end NAS. Now they may be justified in some cases such as a requirement to transcode or whatnot. However you need to backup data on a NAS anyway so reliability really isn't an issue. Nor is their typical file serving speeds... sure the high-end models will be faster but in most cases you'll never use it. Some of the really low-end units don't support iSCSI which can nice at times such as using your NAS storage for WMC recordings.

Overall if it supports the features you are looking for I don't see any reason to "over buy"... my two cents worth.
I kind of have to agree with you here. By today's standards my NAS is flat out a dog. It was middle of the road back in 2009-2010 for a home NAS. It works just fine even serving 1080P movies at 10Mbps.
post #4 of 28 Old 07-08-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

I am most interested in music storage, where it can utilize some way to stream from original format to my appleTV, or direct via airplay/dlna to the network. Pretty much everything else comes second other than a good place to have everything stored that can be accessed from anywhere, all the time, with no need for a laptop to be on non-stop.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #5 of 28 Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I find there are a lot of people who know very little about NAS's and have never owned one yet are very critical of the 'snobs' who recommend them, the irony of course is those recommending them, have owned them and know what they are talking about, at least with the model they own. Since NAS's are for the most part, personal use, when used in the home, their needs and requirements vary however most people use them for storing content they want accessible from any device on their network. I happen to own five NAS's from four different vendors and bought my first one seven years ago, so I am quite familiar with them. To say that reliability is not important is nonsense in my opinion, if you are buying something to store content on you want that content to be available anytime you want it, so reliability is very important. The main difference I have found between lower end units and higher end ones is network speed. Simply copying a file to or from a NAS will go quick or slow, higher end models have dual network ports and you can bond them on a gigabit switch for maximum throughput although this is something that is not important to every one. Expandability is important too and once upon a time this was a big differentiator between higher end and lower end units, the higher end models allowed you to expand to more or larger drives on the fly, no losing your data, but I believe they all offer this now. There isn't much that separates the Qnap's from the Synology's anymore except maybe build quality and the odd feature here and there, they both do the same thing. The point that NAS's are NOT a backup is an important one that is often overlooked, people assume that drive redundancy is infallible and they are wrong, it is not. Its now a question of IF my drive(s) will fail, but WHEN. If you buy a NAS and plan to store important data on it, have that duplicated not once but twice even, to drop box or an external hard drive, it doesn't matter what, just have it duplicated.RAID is not a backup, but offers a safeguard from drive(s) failure, RAID arrays can get corrupted, multiple drive failures can occur, so plan for this. Also when buying a NAS, plan for future expansion and get a four bay instead of a two bay, even if it blows the budget, in most cases you won't regret it down the road.
post #6 of 28 Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Heh, all this is already blowing the budget as I was originally just looking at the woot.com deal for the MYcloud 2tB and am now looking at the 214 synology which is basically 5x the cost. I don't even have a full TB of content at this point, and it will take me quite a while to get to 1TB still, as I am not a photographer, I don't store or stream movies, and don't have work files that will be stored. Simply music, and while it will continue to grow, it is only at a max I would say of 1,000 tracks per annum if I had to guess. Even now that I am going lossless on everything I have a chance to, a single 4TB drive is ample for years to come.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #7 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 06:34 AM
FX4

Then just buy a basic NAS. Honestly even a cheap NAS will get the job done for you. My NAS is a dual bay NAS from 2009 and won't run other services and only puts 30Mbps out on the wire. It works fine. Heck I didn't even know the home NAS market had kind dropped into the performance range of small business NAS until I visited this forum. Some comments from another user got me looking at performance numbers. The reality of the matter is you don't need a high performance NAS to stream music. I do agree with the poster above that the NAS should be reliable and attach a backup drive.
post #8 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

I have a 2TB mybook I guess I could hook up to it as a redundant drive...I think the WD my cloud will do this?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #9 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
+1 with FX4

I use a very basic and cheap Dlink DNS320 for streaming (100$ for 2 bays and 4TB compatible). It's far from any high end NAS from Syno or Qnap in specs and possibilities. Data rate is "slow" for file transfer but i don't care (just ripping directly to the nas, so anyway it's slower than 1Gbs...). I don't use RAID even if it's able to do it. it's dedicated to movie/music streaming only and nothing else (backup for important files is done with real backup solutions : HDD saved somewhere safe and cloud). i set it up in 5min and it's running for almost 3 years 24/7 without any problem.

if you want only to use it for music, find the cheapest NAS, it will do what you need as long as you don't ask it to do the same extra things than a 500$ NAS is able to do. just look at the warranty and the resseler and aim for a well known brand even if NAS are not their core business (WD is a good example but not exclusive).

PS : I always thought that WD NAS were limited to WD drives (which is not a big deal as WD is the biggest HDD brand anyway). Is it true ?
post #10 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would lean toward the Synology with Western Digital drives. While I think Western Digital makes a great product, I tend to stick to a company that does one thing really well. Western digital makes great drives, Synology makes great NAS enclosures. I use them both at work and have had great success. Synology has a great web interface, they are fast and reliable. If you go to the Synology website you can see packages that are available to install on their NAS devices, they have several for media streaming specifically. A co-worker of mine has a couple of their Diskstations at home and is very happy with them. They also have folder-sync, if you have more than one device it will automatically copy from one to the other when a change is made; I imagine most have a feature like this, but I found their solution to be very easy to set up and fast.
post #11 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

That's what I keep reading is that Synology has the absolute most user-friendly software (DSM) and it appears just about everyone is happy with it all.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #12 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

question is not to know is syno is doing great NAS (they do, without an ounce of hesitation), but to know if you need to spend 300 or 400$ minimum just to be able to stream some music...

My answer is clearly no. you don't need it (but of course "need" and "want" are 2 very different things )
post #13 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 07:08 AM
FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
question is not to know is syno is doing great NAS (they do, without an ounce of hesitation), but to know if you need to spend 300 or 400$ minimum just to be able to stream some music...

My answer is clearly no. you don't need it (but of course "need" and "want" are 2 very different things )
I agree, you don't need a Porsche to get groceries although it is nice. Same thing applies here. If you want the higher end NAS because you want a high end NAS then go for it, but you don't need it and won't use its capabilities for your stated goals.
post #14 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

Well, ease of use is paramount, and if I have to jump the budget a shade to get that, I will. I always want to also get something that is future proof, as while I say right now that I don't have any interest in ripping my BD library to disk, that day may come in the next year or two, and better to be ready right? I mean $200 for the 4TB mycloud from WD, or $400 for the 214 plus a 4TB red WD drive, not that big of a deal really either way....

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #15 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 AM

For music only, it may be overkill, but reliable. Here is a list of the packages that are compatible with the DS214 you were looking at.
http://www.synology.com/en-us/suppor...d_tabs_package
post #16 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you want to spend more for the heck of it I'd recommend this guy even though it's on sell for a crazy low price... $169 through tomorrow. It's fanless and way cool. And QNAP's interface is way cool too.

http://www.frys.com/product/8022494?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Last edited by Charles R; 07-09-2014 at 07:32 AM.
post #17 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Can I install more than one of these "packages" on the 214? I would be interested in several. Or do I have to buy it preloaded with said package(s)?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #18 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Heh, all this is already blowing the budget as I was originally just looking at the woot.com deal for the MYcloud 2tB and am now looking at the 214 synology which is basically 5x the cost. I don't even have a full TB of content at this point, and it will take me quite a while to get to 1TB still, as I am not a photographer, I don't store or stream movies, and don't have work files that will be stored. Simply music, and while it will continue to grow, it is only at a max I would say of 1,000 tracks per annum if I had to guess. Even now that I am going lossless on everything I have a chance to, a single 4TB drive is ample for years to come.
Then you don't need the 214. Get the 213j or older and a couple of WD Red drives.
About $400 and you are done $200 for the Synology and the rest for drives.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
post #19 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you want to spend more for the heck of it I'd recommend this guy even though it's on sell for a crazy low price... $169 through tomorrow. It's fanless and way cool. And QNAP's interface is way cool too.

that's a very good deal for a very good "media" NAS from a top brand !

only does Raid 0/1, but for what you want to do you shouldn't even use Raid and use 100% of the HDD capacity to store your music files.
post #20 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 AM
FX4

Quote:

That looks like a winner to me.
post #21 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Can I install more than one of these "packages" on the 214? I would be interested in several. Or do I have to buy it preloaded with said package(s)?
They are free and you can install as many as you want. Procesing power would probably come in to play at some point for that model, but I doubt you would be installing enough to drag it down.
post #22 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Charles, that looks pretty promising for the price! Very cool. What are the main differences between it and the 214? Looks like a pretty rich software interface for all sorts of things...Could I still get the WD Red 4tb drive in there?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #23 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 AM

It shows it is compatible with the 4TB Red drives, the front pops off and the drives slide in. That is a great deal, the apps and interface appears to be similar. All the specs appear to be the same, with the exception of the processor, QNAP state 1.6Ghz Marvell, Synology is 1.066 dual-core Marvell.

Hardware specs:
http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?...96&n=20295&g=1

http://www.synology.com/en-us/produc...4#content_hash

Drive compatibility:
http://www.qnap.com/i/useng/product_x_grade/product_intro.php?g_cat=1&II=118&hf=old
post #24 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Ordered, and I will be ordering the 4 tb red WD as well assuming you guys don't have a better option

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #25 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Ordered, and I will be ordering the 4 tb red WD as well assuming you guys don't have a better option
Not outside of the WD RE4 drives, but that would certainly be overkill.
post #26 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you want the boring matching model it's $10 less again through tomorrow...

http://www.frys.com/product/8022514?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
post #27 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
That's what I keep reading is that Synology has the absolute most user-friendly software (DSM) and it appears just about everyone is happy with it all.
It does. I was just thinking I had not backed something up and realized I had set a schedule on the Synology and it was chugging along doing it automatically.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
post #28 of 28 Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Well, I will give this qnap one a try, and if I decide it isn't as user friendly, perhaps I will then go for the synology.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page