Anyone using a Rasberry Pi? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone using a Rasberry Pi?

Mine will arrive next week and the first thing I will try is to use it to run XBMC.

The interface looks pretty slick and the geek in me really like the idea of building my own box.

Anyone have any issues with using it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 07:29 PM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes I am running XBMC on it. I recommend OpenElec and overclock the CPU to at least 900Mhz. Shut down the news banner. It runs fine.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
Yes I am running XBMC on it. I recommend OpenElec and overclock the CPU to at least 900Mhz. Shut down the news banner. It runs fine.
Agreed with OpenELEC/XBMC. I overclock mine to 1050MHz but I cut a hole in the top of my case and attached an old 40mm case fan that I swiped from an old HDD External Enclosure. I power it from the GPIO pins. They only put out 5V and the fan is 12V, but it spins and is probably quieter because of it (Can't hear it unless I'm right next to it).

I had a heck of a time with temps and overclocking anything past 800MHz. I picked up some cheap Aluminum Heatsinks from Amazon, too and my temps never really get above 130 degrees. Really, though, it won't play back anything more at 1050MHz than it did at 800MHz, but it makes browsing and display of the poster art a lot more smooth. It won't be as smooth as playback on a PC or something like a Chromebox, but it works well enough that I keep mine in the master bedroom for streaming my content.

If you are streaming over a network, keep in mind that the RaspPi has some limitations on playing anything back above ~30Mbps and some BR Rips are 40+. They playback fine from locally connected USB sources but the reason it struggles from network share is still kind of a mystery.

Good Luck and make sure your power supply is decent if you plan to overclock.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:33 PM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
My overclock is actually 950, 333, 450, 2v. I don't run 1:1 BlueRay rips so its not an issue for me. I keep my movie collection to 10Mbps and about 4GB max file size. They look good at that compression level.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Pi is a nice little box and the community support for it is great...my only frustration was more with XBMC's pluggins for the more popular services like Hulu, Pandora, etc., seemed like I was always fighting/hacking with keeping the plugins working especially when I just wanted to sit down and enjoy a movie! Of course the latter is no fault of Pi itself!

As a local media server XBMC is great with the scrappers pulling movie/tvshow info, but I've since moved my Pi into being a NAS/DLNA/MPD server, picked up chromecast and roku boxes for various TV's and couldn't be happier! All the DRM craps works (IE Netflix, hulu +, etc) and I'm able to stream all my ripped DVD/BR's from the Pi running as a NAS/DLNA server. The Pi via MPD provides music for all my ripped CD's.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Instead of the R-Pi get the SolidRun CuBox-i2 (dual) or i4 (quad CPU), they are like the R-Pi only much better out of the box.

* Much faster hardware capable of rendering XBMC at a solid 60fps at 1080p
* More capable video core with hardware decoding for a wider range of media including 3D Blu-ray though XBMC itself does not yet support that via hardware.
* Dolby/DTS bit-streaming and TrueHD/DTS-MA is currently being worked on.

The Cubox-i 2/4 has an IR receiver which will work with any harmony or MCE style remote, it also has HDMI-CEC working out of the box along with optical SPDIF output. No case needed either on the CuBox-i.

Basically the thing is better than the R-Pi in about every possible way, SolidRun do a R-Pi form factor clone called the HummingBird this only gets the hardware from the i2 model no quad core CPU like on the i4 and it gets the optical SPDIF swapped for a coax SPDIF output.

I've been using the Openelec 14 alpha on it and it's amazingly stable for alpha software. That's the one knock against is that the software is alpha but it's a much better platform to buy into.

XBMC distros Openelec, GeeXbox and OSMC (successor to Raspbmc) all support it.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post
Instead of the R-Pi get the SolidRun CuBox-i2 (dual) or i4 (quad CPU), they are like the R-Pi only much better out of the box.

* Much faster hardware capable of rendering XBMC at a solid 60fps at 1080p
* More capable video core with hardware decoding for a wider range of media including 3D Blu-ray though XBMC itself does not yet support that via hardware.
* Dolby/DTS bit-streaming and TrueHD/DTS-MA is currently being worked on.

The Cubox-i 2/4 has an IR receiver which will work with any harmony or MCE style remote, it also has HDMI-CEC working out of the box along with optical SPDIF output. No case needed either on the CuBox-i.

Basically the thing is better than the R-Pi in about every possible way, SolidRun do a R-Pi form factor clone called the HummingBird this only gets the hardware from the i2 model no quad core CPU like on the i4 and it gets the optical SPDIF swapped for a coax SPDIF output.

I've been using the Openelec 14 alpha on it and it's amazingly stable for alpha software. That's the one knock against is that the software is alpha but it's a much better platform to buy into.

XBMC distros Openelec, GeeXbox and OSMC (successor to Raspbmc) all support it.

If you are going to drop the $140 on this, you might as well go $150 and get an Asus Chromebox. XBMC sails on it.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Chromebox is a pain to set up though even with the scripts and lacks IR, optical SPDIF, the CuBox-i is practically ready to go, burn openelec image to sd card and thats it.

Do the chromeboxes have working HDMI-CEC either ?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post
Chromebox is a pain to set up though even with the scripts and lacks IR, optical SPDIF, the CuBox-i is practically ready to go, burn openelec image to sd card and thats it.

Do the chromeboxes have working HDMI-CEC either ?
If someone is planning on using a RaspPi as an XBMC front end, then I highly doubt that following a script on how to install OpenELEC on a Chromebox is going to be an issue.

However, you are correct that it lacks the IR and optical SPDIF. Not sure about the HDMI-CEC, though.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Raspberry Pi was too slow for me for XBMC, works better as a Squeezebox server.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Why not just use intel nuc
GusGus748s likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The best box I have used for XBMC has been, hands down, the Amazon Fire TV.
It handles everything without a hitch.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpostini2 View Post
The best box I have used for XBMC has been, hands down, the Amazon Fire TV.
It handles everything without a hitch.
Does it bitstream HD audio?

Bill
Old 07-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpostini2 View Post
No

Then it doesn't handle everything without a hitch.

Looky here!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

I wasn't worried about sound, only picture quality.